iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Useful sawmill mods

Started by Bibbyman, July 25, 2004, 08:27:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

I think 4x4 is talking about manually hitting the mark, not with SS. His mill has Accuset2.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Dave Shepard on September 05, 2016, 03:21:12 PM
I think 4x4 is talking about manually hitting the mark, not with SS. His mill has Accuset2.

My question was same as BB. I just toggle the final cut down to the mark with no problem, activate SS and let it do the work for me from then on.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

4x4American

Quote from: Dave Shepard on September 05, 2016, 03:21:12 PM

Pick me a winner! 

I don't saw in manual mode often, but sometimes it's quicker to just bring it to 8-1/8" or somethin when I'm pumpin out tuberfurs
Boy, back in my day..

Bandmill Bandit

Mill is in the shop! Next round of mods and fall maintenance starts in the morning!
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Peter Drouin

With the 6' bx works well but, I need to get the log stops to work together.
Maybe I can hitch to the end of the last one.

I was cutting 20' 8x8 and hit the backstop 3 different times, Man, that thing is hard on new blades. :D :D

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

fishfighter

Chuck White

Doing that, pretty-much tells you what to do with the blade! ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dave Shepard

Peter, I had a machinist make a new "nut" to go on the last backstop. Then I got a cat O top link, and cut it in half and welded a pipe in the middle. Well, it was actually shotgun barrel stock, but that's another story. :D I had to make a bracket that I welded to the second backstop on the BX. I can get a pic later.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Peter Drouin

Yeah, I have to do something Dave, What you did looks good.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: Bandmill Bandit on September 07, 2016, 08:57:35 PM
Mill is in the shop! Next round of mods and fall maintenance starts in the morning!

So I didn't get to the maintenance and mods next day BUT I did get the new lift motor installed today.

I did a stop watch lift rate recording BEFORE removing the old OEM motor and that time is a 25 second cycle for 12 inchs of lift.

The difference in size is very visible.

Upon completion of the new motor install I repeated the same test 3X (same as on the OEM)
and my lift rate is now 12 seconds for 12 inches of lift. I did the drop as well. OEM motor is 18.9 seconds and the new motor is 9 seconds on 12 inches of drop.

For reference the 2008 version of the super with a 35HP kohler is 13.5 seconds on 24 inches of lift and 9.5 second on the same amount of drop.

The newer Supers may be a bit quicker but I have not been able to find that data.

IMNSHO this is a significant improvement and should help to increase productivity.

The motor fit is tight and you need to make sure every thing is very carefully aligned. Available clearance is about an 1/8 of an inch. The wires for the motor need be secured with some tension pulling them to the left side of the mill from the operators position.

I did use the AK22 pulley, but MAY try a AK24 or AK25. Based on research the 5 speed options should have room for about 10 to 15% more speed with out changing the programing built into the SS system.         

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

4x4American

Nice BB, I'll have to time my lift rate tomorrow and see.  If I remember.  I know it's not as fast as I was used to when I first got orange paint, but the accuset makes up for that.  I love that accuset.  Except when it brain farts which has been alot recently.  Have to cut it off and on again to get the puter box to work in auto or pattern modes.  Works fine in manual mode, but then my brain farts far outweigh the time it would have taken to reboot.  Anyways, I digest..
Boy, back in my day..

Bandmill Bandit

Hey 4X4 how are you doing?

I have had the issue with the SS to so I undid all the sensor connections/ pickups and did a good cleaning. I reassembled using a electronic spray protector called DE OX. you spray the connecting parts and assemble wet so that the when dry you get a thin protective moisture and dust barrier . So far it is worked well. My son uses it for computer component connections of all manner and type in very hostile environments so there is generally a can or 2 laying around the shop   

4x4American

Hey BB smiley_wavy smiley_wavy smiley_wavy

I'm glad I mentioned it!

I get maybe 4-8 brain farts a day.  Gets realll annoying.  Especially when you just made a cut, and then pick up the headrig and gig back hit down and butter-brain forgot where it was at and has kicked out of auto-down and is in manual mode. 

I will try what you said, thanks!
Boy, back in my day..

Bandmill Bandit

Also clean the sensor on the end of the lift gear box input shaft and use a DRY silicone lube on that sensor and little shaft. The dry silicon tends repel dust pretty good DO NOT use graphite powder or the DE OX here and don't ask how I know.

That whole incident about split my sons sides when he came to troubleshoot the problems that occurred. That when he gave me the spray cans of DE OX and dry silicone.

FYGI; I do NOT use ATF for any thing on my mill at all any more. The felt in the rail guard is sprayed with AmsOil metal protectant now. Works a LOT better than ATF. There is a mod in the works for that piece as well just have to find some scrap Hifax

4x4American

I'm not sure I know what sensor that is?  I'll take a look.  How do you feel about packing the connections with di-electric grease?
Boy, back in my day..

Bandmill Bandit

i have thought of that but grease tends to be a glue for dust so have not done it and have not needed to since i started using the De Ox stuff.

Ga Mtn Man

Quote from: 4x4American on September 16, 2016, 07:07:40 AM
I'm not sure I know what sensor that is?  I'll take a look.  How do you feel about packing the connections with di-electric grease?

The Accuset uses a linear transducer not a rotory encoder like the SS.  It's the rod with the donut on it that rides up and down with the head.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on September 16, 2016, 10:50:03 AM
Quote from: 4x4American on September 16, 2016, 07:07:40 AM

The Accuset uses a linear transducer not a rotory encoder like the SS.  It's the rod with the donut on it that rides up and down with the head.

thanks for the GA mtn man. Spray the rod with the DeOx and maybe keep a can handy at the mill.
http://nationwide-radio--amp-amp-amp--eq-sales-llc.mybigcommerce.com/de-ox-id-premium-electronic-contact-cleaner-spray/

4x4American

I was going to mention that mine uses a transucer but I wasnt sure if there was another thing for measurement.  I just timed my head.  I parked it at 6" and referenced it to 18".  It took 7 seconds to go from 6" to 18"
Boy, back in my day..

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: 4x4American on September 16, 2016, 01:04:01 PM
I was going to mention that mine uses a transucer but I wasnt sure if there was another thing for measurement.  I just timed my head.  I parked it at 6" and referenced it to 18".  It took 7 seconds to go from 6" to 18"

So that would about be equal with the 2008 Super at 13.5 secs for 24 inches. 

Bandmill Bandit

The brake band is a maintenance replacement item in this shop session. HOW EVER the old band is NOT worn out (50% by measurement) but can not be adjusted to use the rest of the band.

There is a mod tumbling around in my head that could very well address this issue and allow the brake band to be fully utilized. I will report back with pics IF I can get this to work successfully.

I did some measurements and the mod is very simple and will indeed work. I will take pics and report as soon as it is done.

Bandmill Bandit

The brake band adjustment mod:

I got carried away with the simplicity of the mod and didn't take another pic and didn't think of it till it was all bottoned up. IT works great.

On the lift motor change over, I discovered today while doing a operational test with the engine running and the generator hooked up, my actual lift speed is 9 seconds for 12 inches of lift and 6.5 secs for 12 inches of drop. Also in the simple set speed settings, set #5 works best. Takes about 22 inches of drop to gain a 1/16th regardless of scale.   

Ga Mtn Man

BB-- Very clever and one of the simpler mods we've seen you make. :)  So those get welded on as shown in your pic and you would switch back to the original holes when you do replace the brake strap?
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Thank You Sponsors!