iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Quarter sawn poplar rough thicknesses

Started by forrestM, January 15, 2024, 07:22:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

forrestM

Since quartersawn poplar shrinks more in thickness than width, what kind thickness do you saw your poplar for ending up with 3/4" tongue and grove flooring and paneling. What's the shrinkage rate from green to 12-15 percent and from green to 6-8percent?

When I'm flat sawing I can always get a 3/4" boards from a true 1" rough sawn thickness. Usually only lose up to 1/16" in thickness when kiln drying flatsawn.

Don P

https://woodbin.com/calcs/shrinkulator/

My question would be why. Poplar wants to split bad enough already?

terrifictimbersllc

I mostly saw flooring at 1-1/8" rough. Id  add 1/16 for targeting QS. Had a customer once want QS red oak for flooring, he was planning wider boards and we did that at 1-1/4.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

DWyatt

I quarter sawed poplar once, kind of by accident. The logs were huge and I split them into three cants to suit the lumber that I needed. I ended up with a whole mess of 6" - 8" QS boards. They were all cut at 1 1/8" green and cleaned up at 3/4" The perk of QS poplar is that it stayed real flat and that is the only reason it cleaned up at 3/4". 

scsmith42

When I QS, my  milling thickness may change due to board width.  Boards wider than 8" may have an extra 1/8" added to them to help clean up any cup.

Typically I'm milling to produce a 1-1/8" green board to net 3/4"
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

maineshops

I flat saw popal so I get a few quarter sawn boards. I set the saw at 1 in and that gives me a 7/8 - board. Air dry and run through the planer with 3 passes. I get some saw marks on one side once in awhile. Dan
Phil:4, 13

Thank You Sponsors!