iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New camper, any advice?

Started by Compensation, September 19, 2014, 01:15:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Compensation

I have never owned a camper and even worse, never been camping in one. Always thought your truck bed, chair, tent, or sleeping bag was how you go camping. Now I have a kitchen, bathroom and air-conditioning. So is there anything to know for the first time? Like do I have to use that stuff you pour in the toilet? Can I use my charmin red? Can you dump your grey water on the ground? Is there something you keep extra of in the camper like a replacement water pump or water lines? I have extra fuses and bulbs. Its a truck camper by the way.

Just wondering so I don't have to learn it when I am states away. Its like buying a new super sport bike. No one tells you the stock tires are junk or that you need some sort of tank protection because of your belt buckle. Thanks!
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

Compensation

D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

sandhills

Sorry I can't help with your questions, but can say it sure is a nice rig!  Is it easy to get in and out of the pickup?

thecfarm

Before you strike off,stay in it for a couple days. Those little things will pop up and you will be able to run to the house and get them.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sprucebunny

I've always liked truck campers. Congrats !

Yes, put something in the holding tank. I prefer Pine-sol to the sweet smelling stuff. Grey water on the ground isn't cool at most camp grounds. It gets smelly but on your own land you can treat it and it's not a big deal.

Turn the water pump off when you drive. Make sure the hatches are shut. Sometimes they work open in the wind.

One of our campers we added a bus heater for winter camping... runs off the engine hot water. I have added a battery to them. Be careful not to run the truck battery down.
Keep the weight low and go slow around corners until you buy a dually  ;D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

clearcut

We bough a used pop-up last year. The kids are loving it.

It's easy to forget the small details when you only use a camper a few times a year. Develop checklists so you don't forget essentials.

For example:
   Before you drive away: latches secured, power off, widows closed, vents secured etc.
   Stuff stored in camper: lawn chairs, first aid kit (last refreshed) tools etc.
   Stuff to pack:
   Prodedures for: hooking up to the truck, emptying grey water, emptying black water, don't forget to...

I like to label all of the drawers, cabinets and storage bins so I can remember where I put all of those essentials, and more importantly so the kids know where to put them.

If you have a propane (absorption) fridge, make sure it is LEVEL before running it.

I have been replacing all of the 12v incandescents with LEDs. They are a lot brighter and use much less power.

Find a friendly forum.
Carbon sequestered upon request.

WmFritz

Don't forget to crank the t.v. antennae down before you head down the road.  ;D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Magicman knows all about them.....he's in his now.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Compensation

Thanks Sandhills! Yes it is. I have to back up under it about 3 times to get it perfect but I have only loaded it 3 times so far.

Great advice everyone! I have a new med kit I am working on that even has individually packaged pills for sinus, heartburn, headaches, and alive. Been there several times trying to get over simple issues without any medicine. Replacing batteries in the smoke and carbon monoxide testers. Guess I need a new extinguisher too. Have to steal the pinesol from the sawmill :) The mental checklist always fails me so now that you mention it i will have to make some. One of my not so proud moments I backed up without folding up the stairs.  stupid_smiley

Can i run the 12v on the fridge while driving? It's a 3-way. I went to napa looking for led lights and they didn't have any. i think they are the 1156 bulbs.

The radio antenna is down and the tv one looks like a stealth jet so its low to the roof. I have a f-150, and two f-250's so it's going to be hard to explain why another truck besides a dump truck is in the drive. The brown truck has a 1ton axle under it. Might get the extended fenders then add extra wheels like my buddy did.

Then I can get the 1ton leaf springs when I replace the fronts. Already have a sway bar for the rear also.

sprucebunny

Yes, you can run the fridge driving. 3-ways are the best   :)

I've had the add on wheels on a F250. They worked well. It will make driving more comfortable.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

pineywoods

A 3 way fridge runnin in the 12 volt mode pulls some serious amps. In hot weather it will be marginal on 12 volts. Will need a small amount of 12 volt power in 110 or propane mode for the controls. I normally just leave mine on propane all the time. Never had a problem with the fire blowing out. When not moving, it needs to be reasonably level, in motion, doesn't matter much.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

sawguy21

That is why most rv fridges are two way, lpg and 110V. We run ours on propane while  driving then switch to shore power if available to conserve gas. So you had your first Oh DanG moment.  ;D Welcome to the club, I won't go into mine.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Gary_C

You are not supposed to transport a propane tank with the valve open. I think it's a federal law. I just heard about this recently and can't say I've always followed this faithfully, but just saying....

You can buy the toilet paper made for holding tanks at camper supply places, Walmart too. Or any single ply lightweight paper will do. Just no double ply heavy embossed paper or it will not dissolve easily. The chemical helps with odor and helps breakdown everything easier so it's good to use but not essential. Use it in the grey water too as that can get smelly also. Don't leave the holding tanks with anything in them for long times as they can settle out solids and be hard to empty.

LED bulbs are still pricey and most camper supply places have them and you can get them online at Amazon and others.

Campers are a lot of fun and a lot of work too. Oh and find out how to winterize your camper or you can have a lot of fixing to do.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Ljohnsaw

For general questions, try out PopupPortal.com.  It is really for tent popup trailers but there are some who have hybrid trailers as well as some on the "dark side" (TT - Travel Trailers). :D

One thing I learned is my pump switch is inaccessible when my trailer is folded down.  I left my pump on a few times and when I drained my fresh water tank, the pump would kick on.  I had to pull the main fuse at the battery to kill it.  So, I replaced the pump switch with a 30 minute, spring wound, electric switch.  Works great since you typically only use the water for short periods (washing dishes or maybe using the outside shower).

Also, I added an accumulator (air pressure tank) to my system to work more like a domestic setup.  The pump runs for 10-15 seconds, builds up pressure and gives me 30-45 seconds of water flow, depending on how fast I run it.  Before the accumulator, it was on-off-on-off-on-off.....  Drove me crazy.  Also, less wear on the pump now.

Related, when hooking up to water at a campground, make sure you have a pressure regulator and get a carbon filter as well.  Don't need to be blowing out your plumbing!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

clearcut

For interior lighting I used Surface-Mount-Device Light-Emitting Diodes (SMD LED) with an 1156 adapter. These are flat panels with the led mounted in a square or rectangle. The adapter plugs into an 1156 socket and the panel mounts in the fixture with double stick tape. The 48 LED panels (6X8 LEDs) easily fit into all of the light fixtures in my pop-up.

I bought a multi-pack on eBay for about $2.00 a bulb or so.

Regarding the 3-way fridge, pre-chill it on AC at home at least overnight before a trip. Three-ways are not as efficient as a compressor based fridge, so they have a longer cool down, and much longer recovery time. If the fridge not level when running, a crystalline precipitate that forms in the ammonia can clog the cooling tubes. Very expensive to repair.

Carbon sequestered upon request.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: clearcut on September 21, 2014, 12:35:49 PM

<<snip>>

Regarding the 3-way fridge, pre-chill it on AC at home at least overnight before a trip. Three-ways are not as efficient as a compressor based fridge, so they have a longer cool down, and much longer recovery time. If the fridge not level when running, a crystalline precipitate that forms in the ammonia can clog the cooling tubes. Very expensive to repair.

I usually take a frozen gallon of water and put that in the fridge to help it cool down on start-up.

In regards to a non-level fridge/messing up fridge - A RV/fridge repair man posted that the way to "fix" a broken fridge like this is to remove it from the vehicle and turn it upside down for a bit.  Put it back and it should work just fine.  Never had to do it but might be the first thing I'd try if mine "broke".

Also, to make the fridge work better, install a "fan mod" to help move the hot air out.  I did it to my fridge and it helped it stay 10 to 15° cooler than before the change.  Out here in 90-100° heat, it makes the difference between cool and cold beer (and sour milk or safe!).  These absorption fridges at best can do a differential of about 45° from ambient if vented properly.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Compensation

I bought 4 bulbs that fit directly in the socket. They were $20 for two and a little dimmer than a normal 1156. So i stuck one of the krypton bulbs outside since I need a little more light out there.

Just replaced all my clearance lights on the truck since the camper salesman crushed them by telling me the front always goes down first, then letting me know that I learned something ::). Replaced the cam position sensor, oil, fuel filter, vacuum pump (thought it was squeaking and was wrong), and dif. lube. Now I am searching tires. Sure hope it will clear lt275/65/r20 (34"/10.83"/R20). Pretty sure it's going to rub the leaf springs but it's the smallest size I can find thats an LT and gives me an extra 917# per tire. The tires in the pics above find every flaw in the road. I want my other wheels on it anyways.

But these tires are directional racing tires with a 150 mph speed rating that has no business on this truck.

Well I have figured out that my fridge is a little tricky. I filled it with water bottles and played with the settings 1-7. I had it on gas this summer and it kept it on 6. drinks were nice and cold (pop machine cold). Switched it to A/C and froze everything. Noticed the sticker that states while in A/C keep on 4. So I put it on 4 and only had a few bottles freeze partially. Have not tried D/C, figured It would be the same as gas or worse.

Years ago when I worked at an apartment complex I would turn a whole fridge upside down if the compressor locked. Usually it would work and I would have enough time to order a new one or some lasted until I left that place. So it does work sometimes for ones with compressors, so it would be worth a try with the ammonia ones.

Thanks for all the advice, it's all being put to use.

Magicman

The 1156 is the wrong bulb.  I know that it is brighter than the proper 1141, but it will also discolor (melt) the plastic lens.

I use Thetford chemicals that contain formaldehyde.  Let's face it, it's human waste that you are dealing with.  Use what is designed for it.  The advice that Gary_C gave on TP is proper, but don't use "toilet" chemicals in the grey water tank.  There is a proper chemical for that use.

Google "leaving the LP tank on while traveling".  There are restriction under certain circumstances, for example; I had to turn if off before boarding a ferry on our just completed trip.  Otherwise, it is on and the frig is on LP.

Don't get overloaded carrying spare parts.  RV components are very reliable, plus large campgrounds, etc. will have anything that you may need.  I have had one water pump motor to fail, and I found a replacement in the very next town that we passed through.  BTW, we have had an RV of some sort since 1966.   :)

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Compensation

Thanks MM. I just got done dumping my tanks in my septic and unloading the camper. I will have to stop by the camper place this Saturday and pick up some treatment. Also how do you winterize? I bought some RV antifreeze as if I thought I knew what I was doing. ;D

samandothers

For ours we have a low point water pipe drains.  Cut off the pump, Open the low point drains, open the sink water tap and the shower and drain water.  Open hot water line too to drain and relieve pressure.  By pass the water heater so you don't get antifreeze in the water heater.  Close the low point drains and the valves.  The our pump has a valve and pick up tube.   you push the pick up tube down in the RV antifreeze and cut on the pump.  Open your facets and shower one by one to pump the antifreeze through the system.  Don't forget to flush toilet til it runs antifreeze and don't forget outside shower if equipped.  Also drain your water heater.  we don't put antifreeze in the water heater.  If you did not run enough antifreeze into your sinks add some for the water traps in the drain.  Our camper with shower, kitchen sink, bathroom sink, toilet and exterior shower uses a little under 2 gallons of antifreeze. 

loghorse

A important thing ALWAYS lock the fridge.this is from experience.Ever try to mop up milk from every crack or crevice?

Magicman

Absorption Refrigerators work better when it is cold, so watch the temperature when cold weather camping.  Frozen Cokes make a mess.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

If you have a rubber roof surface be sure to put a fresh coat of sealant on at least once a year.  I never knew that and had a nasty leak on our older camper - sure was fun to fix.  I buy the "Henry" brand from Home Depot and it works great, just use a heavy nap roller and put the stuff on nice and thick.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Compensation

Well out of 1-7 I leave it on 4. Now that its cold I have it on 3. I have this one bottle of water that is always frozen no matter where I move it. So its my visual thermostat.  ;D I have to run out of gas so i can get my new valve installed and my second replacement hose put on with my new non leaking regulator. I will say, the fridge has a strong latch. I do run a bungee with it though. As for my rubber roof, a piece peeled off. It was about 1'x2'x2' triangle. So now I am just going to replace the roof next spring. I guess that's what I get for doing 80 for 600 miles.

Compensation

Paul Bunyan show. First time using it.

Thank You Sponsors!