iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

When to call a game warden

Started by sprucebunny, September 18, 2014, 06:57:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprucebunny

Today I saw an injured bear limping thru a field near the road. Then it went thru a narrow strip of woods and into someone's open garage and took a bag of garbage.

I called a game warden because the bear was injured and therefor unpredictable and the people weren't home to warn them that there might be a bear in a bad mood behind their house (wooded area).

What would you have done ?

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Mooseherder

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

Same thing.
We are on a first name basis with the game warden. Some hunters can't read around here. Started all from one bonehead shooting towards the house during turkey season.The reality show,Northwood Law,even did a taping on my land. But did not find the pot plants,so we did not make the show.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ron Scott

~Ron

beenthere

Good call. Hope they can take care of the bear.
Surprising that someone in bear country would leave a bag of garbage available for a bear.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sprucebunny

I don't know what happened. I was just driving by. A warden called me about an hour later and was going to investigate or call the local cops. Assisting at a traffic accident had delayed him.
I called because I would want to know, if possible, that there was an injured bear around my house and in the hope ( perhaps useless..) the bear would be cared for. I live about a third of a mile thru the woods from where this happened

I've had a bear on my second floor porch so they are around but not common. A neighborhood dog steals my garbage if I leave it out ::)

sandhills

I'd have done the same  ???, I say good call also.  That looks nasty, is it legal to put them down up there for something like that?  Just ignorant, don't live in bear country, but I'd think infection will get it in the end?  I have facilities to treat cattle/horses for stuff like that but think I'll shy away from treating a bear.

Peter Drouin

I had one walking on 3 legs, I called fish and game he told me we have a lot of 3 legged ones in NH. ::)
No one showed up.
Looks like it was hit by a car.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

sprucebunny

My trash barrel is tipped over this morning.... Second time in 15 years.
Can't see any tracks in the gravel but looks suspiciously like bear size tooth marks on a paper coffee cup.
Wasn't much in there but coffee grounds and a couple food wrappers.

ely

they definatly needed to know what was going on... me personally would have had a new bearskin rug.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: sprucebunny on September 19, 2014, 08:07:29 AM
My trash barrel is tipped over this morning.... Second time in 15 years.
Can't see any tracks in the gravel but looks suspiciously like bear size tooth marks on a paper coffee cup.
Wasn't much in there but coffee grounds and a couple food wrappers.

Don't take much sometimes. :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Peter Drouin on September 19, 2014, 10:23:56 PM

Sometimes, it don't take anything!  Last year I left a full 5 gallon plastic gas can on my property for a few days.  Came back to find it empty - and a big bite mark in one corner.  I would have like to see the bear's reaction  :D

This past Wednesday, I took a stroll down to my leach field to retrieve my mortar tub I had used to set my distribution box.  Odd, it was face up (left it leaning face down on a tree) and had some sap in it.  Scraped out the sap and noticed a hole.  Crud, I must have scraped too hard...  Mixed up my thin set and set my shower.  Cleaning the tub, there were four holes - two in the side and two on the bottom.  Flipped it over and there were some other indents - stupid bear bit my mortar tub!

This bear seems to be acclimated to coolers (plastic) and will bite about anything plastic!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

SwampDonkey

Bears love gas jugs. Sometimes even saw throttle cables. I saw remnants of a grow op one year in the bush with potting soil bags in bear dung piles. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Peter Drouin

Quote from: ljohnsaw on September 20, 2014, 12:05:00 AM
Quote from: Peter Drouin on September 19, 2014, 10:23:56 PM

Sometimes, it don't take anything!  Last year I left a full 5 gallon plastic gas can on my property for a few days.  Came back to find it empty - and a big bite mark in one corner.  I would have like to see the bear's reaction  :D

This past Wednesday, I took a stroll down to my leach field to retrieve my mortar tub I had used to set my distribution box.  Odd, it was face up (left it leaning face down on a tree) and had some sap in it.  Scraped out the sap and noticed a hole.  Crud, I must have scraped too hard...  Mixed up my thin set and set my shower.  Cleaning the tub, there were four holes - two in the side and two on the bottom.  Flipped it over and there were some other indents - stupid bear bit my mortar tub!

This bear seems to be acclimated to coolers (plastic) and will bite about anything plastic!

Maybe it was a young one and teething, and the plastic is easy on the gums :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

beenthere

QuoteThis bear seems to be acclimated to coolers (plastic) and will bite about anything plastic!

Or that Brer Bear has learned from experience that good things like "bear bait" comes sometimes in plastic, that sometimes is allowed to get at.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

red oaks lumber

you guys must have nice and helpful wardens in other states. not here, the last call is to the wardens  :(
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Small Slick

ROL is right. No one calls the warden. In WI that means you are the first one to get interrogated. John.

terry f

That's too bad, it shouldn't be that way.

drobertson

I would've called, we have good agents,  but only one to two per county, lots of land to cover for such a small crew,  county sheriffs, well, I guess they are doing something, hard to tell, don't see them much either.   
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

LeeB

We have dedcent game wardens. Some of the folks around don't like them, but those folks are outlaws. I have had no problems with them and Lindy knows most of the for three counties by name.(she does a lot of facebook yard sales and other stuff like that, so she meets a wide range of people in the area). I have no troubles with the sherrif either. Have pretty good relationship with them.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

sandhills

I will agree with Lee for our area, and our game wardens are spread pretty thin.  Around here 99% of the people complaining about law enforcement are the criminals.  Our old warden used to hunt our land so I saw him a lot, since he retired I've yet to see one around, but that's not saying they wouldn't show up if called, just spread thin.

chain

Quote from: LeeB on October 28, 2014, 07:46:10 AM
We have dedcent game wardens. Some of the folks around don't like them, but those folks are outlaws. I have had no problems with them and Lindy knows most of the for three counties by name.(she does a lot of facebook yard sales and other stuff like that, so she meets a wide range of people in the area). I have no troubles with the sherrif either. Have pretty good relationship with them.

I'm not an outlaw nor a criminal but I have been accused of violating and suspicions of illigal wild game activities and misdoings. For what? I've never been able to figure it out and as I have stated before elsewhere in this forum, rare is the day or season of the year do I not do something for conservation betterment. I'm somewhat bitter now, unfortunately I've allowed my feelings to caution ever contacting the conservation agents again.

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: thecfarm on September 18, 2014, 08:33:36 PM
But did not find the pot plants,so we did not make the show.
That was hillarious!  :D

I would have called; that's a nasty looking wound. We have a warden that lives in our town but his district is in another part of the state. He has tagged deer for me though, come right to my house to do it. And he brought my friend a fresh road-killed moose that we butchered up!  ;)

sandhills

chain, I hope no offence was taken by my post, like I said "in our area" wasn't claiming anyone here was a criminal.  I do know a few local law enforcement people and a retired warden, they have from time to time hunted on our ground, but that doesn't give me the right to do the wrong thing either thinking they'd look the other way.  I will completely agree with you on conservation betterment, that maybe is where they'd find me guilty I guess  :-X, and I've never been wrongfully accused of anything criminal was just stating that most around here whining about the law are the ones breaking it.  I honestly believe without those of us "out here" looking after it in our own way, our children aren't gonna have a lot left to look after for the next generation to enjoy.  In my little part of the world habitat seems to be the last thing that matters, tear it up, doze it down and farm it, seems to be the general rule  :-\.  I'll shut up now.

Thank You Sponsors!