iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LF a sawyer in the Balto MD area

Started by spencer decoys, September 18, 2014, 08:16:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spencer decoys

Hello all, first post, I hope it's ok to post this here.

I'm a decoy carver from the Baltimore area and I use pine cants.
I like to use plantation /eastern white pine, paulownia works as we'll, little to no heart.
The cants are various sizes 4x6, 5x7 etc. These would be cut down to various lengths to fit in a duplicating lathe, 12-18 inches depending on the species of duck.
Thanks Jeff

Roxie

Welcome to the forum!  Making decoys sounds like fun work.   :)
Say when

drobertson

Wish I was closer, no plantation pine but some nice syp.  Son in law is an avid duck hunter, I would like to see some of your decs ,  welcome to the forum, and look forward to seeing your work!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

spencer decoys

Thanks,

I think I added some pics in my gallery.

Nothing like hunting over traditional wood decoys

sandhills

Welcome to the forum spencer decoys

Here is one of those pictures, nice work! (sorry I should've rotated that, my bad) 

Ron Wenrich

I sawed some basswood for a decoy maker.  He used 6x8 and 4x6, no heart and made goose decoys.  He said he had a hard time with pitch from white pine.  You're a little south for the basswood range. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

spencer decoys

I use basswood for the heads, might have to look you up Ron.
Thanks Sandhills, their upper bay (Chesapeake) gunning style decoys.

r.man

My BIL is a Cree in northern Ontario and one of the things they do there is a traditional Canada goose hunt. They make head and neck decoys each time out of fire blackened driftwood. I don't know if they carve them much but in the pictures I saw it was amazing how goose like the decoys looked standing in the tall marsh grass.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Thank You Sponsors!