Started by customsawyer, September 17, 2014, 08:23:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: stavebuyer on September 21, 2014, 10:32:53 AM
Down time is a big deal when you have employees.
smiley_thumbsup

Balancing blade cost with other cost changes based on each of our operations.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Dave Shepard

On small bandmills, blade cost is always going to be a very small part of the equation.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

customsawyer

I appreciate everyone's post. I find it very interesting some of the differences. 
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

dyates

Y'all are embarrasing me with my little toy lt15.  It would take me two days to cut 1000 bf.  Good thing I mostly cut walnut thats been averaging around 2.50.  My blades are less than $16.  Resharp is around $7.  I might get 100 ft to a blade, I might get 400, depending on the logs.   Best I can figure, my blade cost is around $.07 per ft. 
Daniel

Dave Shepard

No need to be embarrassed.  :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

hackberry jake

Ive never figured it... next new blade I pjut on the mill, ill keep track of it.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Jemclimber

Sorry Jake,  didn't mean to embarrass you.  lol   

Dyates,  where do you get $16 blades and which blade are you using?
lt15

Chuck White

Quote from: Chuck White on September 18, 2014, 06:51:17 AM
Quote from: Joe Hillmann on September 17, 2014, 09:39:42 PM
Those numbers seem very low.  If that is right it would mean you must be getting nearly 1000 board feet per sharpening.

A couple of weeks ago I had a sawjob where I sawed 4,700+ bf of White Pine and I had 5 blades to sharpen after the job was done, so, 4,700 divided by 5 = 940 board feet per blade on that particular job!

Forgot to mention, I usually get an average of 8-10 sharpenings per blade and once in a while I'll get as many as 12 sharpenings.

I guess I'm getting the maximum use from my blades!

I use Wood-Mizer .045x1¼x10° Double Hards!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WDH

My LT15 is not a toy  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

dyates

Quote from: Jemclimber on September 24, 2014, 06:40:05 AM
Sorry Jake,  didn't mean to embarrass you.  lol   

Dyates,  where do you get $16 blades and which blade are you using?
silvertip from Woodmizer.  My blades are smaller and shorter.
Daniel

dyates

Forgot to mention I can get blades directly from Piper in central city.  They have a truck route that eliminates shipping charges.
Daniel

FarmingSawyer

This thread was running through my mind as I was sawing this weekend..... Had a bunch of gravel filled read oak to get through.....a quick scrub with a wire brush helped that. Still, I went through 3 blades to get 1200bf. The 4th blade...put on fresh at the end of the mill, not the head like usual, just after I rolled the cant and dogged it. And guess what I forgot to do......yup....lower the back stops below the 4 cuts I needed to make. Just kissed the top of one, blade dove and there went the next 2 boards. Average cost there was not good.....

Then yesterday I was cutting a 1000bf of really clean curly sugar maple. I don't think I got more than 350bf out of each band before they would start to wave or leave unacceptable lines on the lumber and get hard to push. Not quite sure what was going on there... I used the last band on the mill from yesterday, with about 300bf on it, to cut 250bf of really old, dry cherry today with out a hitch and a completely smooth finish. I was surprised. That tough cherry cut like butter, except when I exited the butt.....
I'm using resharp Timberwolf 1-1/2, 7/8ths with I think a 10˚ hook.
Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

dgdrls

Quote from: FarmingSawyer on October 12, 2014, 08:38:07 PM
This thread was running through my mind as I was sawing this weekend..... Had a bunch of gravel filled read oak to get through.....a quick scrub with a wire brush helped that. Still, I went through 3 blades to get 1200bf. The 4th blade...put on fresh at the end of the mill, not the head like usual, just after I rolled the cant and dogged it. And guess what I forgot to do......yup....lower the back stops below the 4 cuts I needed to make. Just kissed the top of one, blade dove and there went the next 2 boards. Average cost there was not good.....

Then yesterday I was cutting a 1000bf of really clean curly sugar maple. I don't think I got more than 350bf out of each band before they would start to wave or leave unacceptable lines on the lumber and get hard to push. Not quite sure what was going on there... I used the last band on the mill from yesterday, with about 300bf on it, to cut 250bf of really old, dry cherry today with out a hitch and a completely smooth finish. I was surprised. That tough cherry cut like butter, except when I exited the butt.....
I'm using resharp Timberwolf 1-1/2, 7/8ths with I think a 10˚ hook.

That Sugar Maple is tough stuff.  Try bands with less hook on the next pile of SM and see if you get better production.

DGDrls

Thank You Sponsors!