iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

bar cost - $250 for a 48 inch bar !

Started by rebocardo, July 24, 2004, 07:02:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rebocardo

I have been checking out bar prices in case I bought a bigger saw to run it and the thing that really discourages me from buying a 48 inch bar and the machine to run it is the cost of the bar. Bailey's at $250 is just about the cheapest I can find a 48 inch bar. So, between the bar and chain, you are talking $300.00.

Why are 48 inch bars so much money, especially compared to 42 inch bars? For that extra six inches, you have a $200 price jump. Is it because so few people buy them or is there something I do not know about bars?

David_c

what do you need a 48" bar for in GA ::)

Sawyerfortyish

Thats my  thoughts to why do you need such a big bar? Maybe if you have a chainsawmill. I have cut lots of trees logging over 30" and some even over 40" Dbh with a 24" bar.

rebocardo

I have a white oak that is 48 DBH (a lot bigger with butt flare) that I might want to turn into 48"x2" rounds and maybe 48" slabs, if it can be cost effective.

I tried cutting 36 inch rounds on an earlier tree with my 28 inch bar and it did not come out correctly going from side to side.

The biggest I can fit on my mill is 24" wide, so if I get an Alaska type mill and 48 inch bar I can slab it where it sits after felling it. Which is the main reason for looking into a 48 inch bar.

David_c

knew it had to be something like that have fun.

DanManofStihl

I know oregon and windsor make the 42 inch bar but they do not make anything bigger I dont think so you end up buying the expenive cannon or woodsman pro name if you try ebay they have some nice bars on their that are 48 inch Heres a link http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20538&item=4314517625
 This one is sitting at 50 for the bar and chain
Two Things in life to be proud of a good wife and a good saw.

Furby

Did you do a google ???
For a bar that you may only use a little bit, you might find a no name for cheaper.

rebocardo

I have done yahoo and ebay searches, no real results. Thank you for the E-Bay link, it is only for a Stihl, I have been watching for Husky stuff.

DanManofStihl

I will keep a watch full eye out for a 48 inch bar for a husky saw. I mostly see them for stihl but if i see anything I will tell you you might want to email the guy who had the stihl bar he has alot of saw bars for sale. Thanks
Two Things in life to be proud of a good wife and a good saw.

rebocardo

sawguy21

You wanna see what we pay in Canbucks for bars, or anything else for that matter. The demand for the 48 is so low that production costs make the pricing brutal. It is too unwieldy for use on anything except a mill. Ever tried packing on on a 090?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Stephen_Wiley

Rebo,

I will make some calls and see what is currently available.

We have a few hidden bar shops out here, that cater to the big saws.

What size of Husky are you trying to fit ?
" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

rebocardo

I was going to put it on a new Husky 395. But, decided to go with a 365 because of my limited mill use (so far) and save more money for a Husky 3120 that I would use just for the chainsaw mill. The 365 is way too slow and underpowered so I stick with 14" wide logs on the 28" bar, even if I have to split them before I saw them.

sawguy21

Minimum 372 on that mill. The more the better
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

jokers

Rebocardo,

I`m a little confused, though since I`m simple I`m not too alarmed, but are you planning on running the 48"er on your 365 for the time being after the statement about the 365 being way too slow and underpowered to handle anything larger than a 14" log on the 28" bar?

After reading your other post about the carbon chunks and buildup on your sparkplug, I think that you are leaving alot of power "on the table" by running your carb way too rich. If you can`t set your carb adequately by ear and power in the cut, try having it tach set about 300-500 rpm below factory spec and see how it performs.

When you get back to looking for the long bar, check out Jeff Sikkema at //www.snssawshop.com, he sells GB products. They make excellent bars and mills.

Russ

rebocardo

> but are you planning on running the 48"er on your 365

No.

> too slow and underpowered to handle anything larger
> than a 14" log on the 28" bar?

Correct, unless I like going from feet per minute to inches per minute. I finally have the mill, saw, and chains set up so I can do feet per minute.

> it tach set about 300-500 rpm below factory spec and

I will try that. I guess my automotive tach does not work correctly (at all) on my saw. I guess I need one just for a two cycle.

Stephen_Wiley

Rebo,

Checked with bar shop, currently their is a 50" 'Cannon' hanging inside the door for $100.00

However, the shop produces bars out here for our big wood a manufactured 60" is $225.00

The above mentioned 'Cannon' was formerly used for slabbing and is about 1/2 the thickness of the bars he makes. The Cannon owner bought one of his to overcome the bar sway issue.

Since the bars are manufactured here they are made to fit whatever power saw you have.

If interested send me a pm and preferred chain saw application.

" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

John_Boisselier

You can contact GB American directly for top notch GB bars (and quite a bit of other stuff too) and get a far better price than what I've seen anywhere else on really quality titanium bars.  They usually get them to you pretty fast too.
GB AMERICAN Inc.
Rt. Whitefield Road,
P.O. Box 514
Lancaster, New Hampshire
USA 03584-0514
Phone: 603-788-2825
Fax: 603-788-4529
The Woodsman

Thank You Sponsors!