iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best Pawpaw crop yet

Started by ozarkgem, September 16, 2014, 06:58:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozarkgem

This will be the best crop I have had since I moved here in 99. Now to beat the critters to them.

Maybe this should have been in the food section.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

millwright

I don't even know what they are.

Seaman

Used to sing in elementary school, " way down yonder in the PawPaw patch"
Tried to move a few sprouts last year but I think they all died.
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Left Coast Chris

We have a few but have never figured out the best use.  How do you use them?    --- and hope it is not pickling.   We had an Englishman come by and get some very green English walnuts for pickling.   :o :)
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I remember the song Seaman.....but Ozarkgem....how do you eat them? Prepare them?  say_what

****PLEASE BUCKLE YOUR SEAT BELTS**** Probably flying to the Food section.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Mooseherder

That depends on what they taste like. :D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Den Socling

We have been wondering about pawpaws. We thought we had some from the local growers but they turned out to be egg shaped cucumbers.  :D

ET

I have an enormous paw paw patch in my woods. Its maybe an acre or so. I also dont know when to harvest or use?  Ive seen the pods but have not picked any.
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

WDH

They are awesome tasty.  They taste like a cross between a mango and a banana. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sandhills

OK now I want some!   :)  Always heard of them but never seen or tasted one, I love bananas though.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: Mooseherder on September 16, 2014, 09:33:07 PM
That depends on what they taste like. :D

Well, if they was meat, everbody would say they taste just like chicken...

:) :D ;D :o

Herb

ozarkgem

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on September 16, 2014, 07:58:22 PM
I remember the song Seaman.....but Ozarkgem....how do you eat them? Prepare them?  say_what

****PLEASE BUCKLE YOUR SEAT BELTS**** Probably flying to the Food section.  :D
Usually toward the first frost they will ripen. No as much meat as you would think. The seed are huge. The Mango very ripe sweet Banana taste is about as close as you will get. Pick them off the tree and peel them and eat. I don't have any recipes
for them. thought maybe someone here would. Probably Persimmon recipes would work. Yep someone take this to the food section.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

21incher

They sound like they taste great, I hope you enjoy them. I bet it is hard to keep the coons and deer away. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

cinnabar

This is  from a friend in Kansas. It is reported to be excellent.

Paw Paw Cake
• 1¾ c. flour
• 1 tsp. baking soda
• 1 tsp. baking powder
• ½ tsp. salt
• ½ c. milk
• 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
• ½ c. shortening
• 1½ c. sugar
• 2 eggs
• 1 tsp. vanilla
• ½ c. pureed pawpaw pulp
• ½ c. chopped pecans or hickory nuts
• 3 egg whites, beaten stiff
Sift first four dry ingredients together. Combine milk and lemon juice and set aside to sour. Cream shortening, add sugar gradually, and beat until fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add vanilla. Then add dry ingredients alternately with pawpaw puree and soured milk. Fold in the beaten egg whites and the chopped nuts. Pour into two lightly greased and floured 9-inch layer-cake pans. Bake in a moderate oven (350o F) 35 to 40 minutes. Frost with:

Lemon Butter Cream Frosting

• ½ c. butter
• 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
• grated lemon rind
• 1 lb. confectioners' sugar
• 6 Tbsp. cream (approximately)
Cream the butter until fluffy, using an electric mixer. Blend in the lemon juice and a small amount of grated lemon rind. Add the confectioners' sugar gradually along with enough cream to make a frosting of the right spreading consistency. Run the beaters long enough to make the frosting very fluffy. Garnish the top of the frosted cake with a grating of lemon rind.

Texas Ranger

A blast from the past, it was a treat to us Missouri country boys.  Pull em from the tree, and get a belly ache before the day was over.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

ozarkgem

Quote from: cinnabar on September 17, 2014, 09:41:21 AM

This is  from a friend in Kansas. It is reported to be excellent.

Paw Paw Cake
• 1¾ c. flour
• 1 tsp. baking soda
• 1 tsp. baking powder
• ½ tsp. salt
• ½ c. milk
• 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
• ½ c. shortening
• 1½ c. sugar
• 2 eggs
• 1 tsp. vanilla
• ½ c. pureed pawpaw pulp
• ½ c. chopped pecans or hickory nuts
• 3 egg whites, beaten stiff
Sift first four dry ingredients together. Combine milk and lemon juice and set aside to sour. Cream shortening, add sugar gradually, and beat until fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add vanilla. Then add dry ingredients alternately with pawpaw puree and soured milk. Fold in the beaten egg whites and the chopped nuts. Pour into two lightly greased and floured 9-inch layer-cake pans. Bake in a moderate oven (350o F) 35 to 40 minutes. Frost with:

Lemon Butter Cream Frosting

• ½ c. butter
• 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
• grated lemon rind
• 1 lb. confectioners' sugar
• 6 Tbsp. cream (approximately)
Cream the butter until fluffy, using an electric mixer. Blend in the lemon juice and a small amount of grated lemon rind. Add the confectioners' sugar gradually along with enough cream to make a frosting of the right spreading consistency. Run the beaters long enough to make the frosting very fluffy. Garnish the top of the frosted cake with a grating of lemon rind.
I shall try this and let you all know how it turns out.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I think I'll stick to Maw Maws instead of Paw paws.  :D

ozarkgem

from your pic maybe kids kids.  ::)

Thank You Sponsors!