iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Using Sycamore

Started by ozarkgem, September 16, 2014, 06:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozarkgem

How about some pics of your projects using Sycamore. I am going to have an abundance of it soon. Not sure what to make out of it. Ideas?
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Here's a Bench I made from a Sycamore Slab. I Quarter Sawed and sold the lumber and used this old slab for a bench. Got more for the bench than I did the lumber.
Quarter Sawing Sycamore is the only way I saw it.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

That thing is still looking at me. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

scleigh

ron barnes

If you can cut turning blocks, they should sell well.  Sycamore bowls look great when finished nicely.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: ron barnes on September 17, 2014, 07:19:15 AM
If you can cut turning blocks, they should sell well.  Sycamore bowls look great when finished nicely.
Good point Ron!  :)

mesquite buckeye

I like it. ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

scsmith42

Quote from: ozarkgem on September 16, 2014, 06:55:59 PM
How about some pics of your projects using Sycamore. I am going to have an abundance of it soon. Not sure what to make out of it. Ideas?

quartersaw it and sell it....
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

hackberry jake

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

ozarkgem

Jake
Did you put the purlins up green? What centers did you put the rafters on?  I didn't realize Sycamore was that pretty of a wood. Pallet wood around here. Now I am ready so saw some.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

ozarkgem

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on September 16, 2014, 08:09:02 PM
Here's a Bench I made from a Sycamore Slab. I Quarter Sawed and sold the lumber and used this old slab for a bench. Got more for the bench than I did the lumber.
Quarter Sawing Sycamore is the only way I saw it.

That is a sweet bench . good job. What did you use for a finish? How long had it dried?   thanks   Jim

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: ozarkgem on September 17, 2014, 07:59:22 PM

That is a sweet bench . good job. What did you use for a finish? How long had it dried?   thanks   Jim

The slab had dried...well not long enough, but really no twisting at all. I put the legs on and set it in the garage.After a while, I just turned the bench upside down on the mill and sawed the legs off flush.  ;D

Bill Gaiche

This one the folks I made it for liked it. bg

ozarkgem

Larry

I quarter sawed some for a guy that built baby cradles.  He sold them with a heavy emphasis on being green.  At one time sycamore was used for berry baskets, fruit baskets, and spoons because it was considered a non toxic clean wood.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

hackberry jake

I let the sycamore dry for a few months before I used it. I think they are on 24" centers. Sometimes sycamore is bad about ring shake. If you let it dry a while before you put it up, you can cull the boards that are coming apart like a book.

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

ozarkgem

Quote from: hackberry jake on September 18, 2014, 02:53:33 PM
I let the sycamore dry for a few months before I used it. I think they are on 24" centers. Sometimes sycamore is bad about ring shake. If you let it dry a while before you put it up, you can cull the boards that are coming apart like a book.
they stayed pretty straight after 2 months. Did you use full 2"?

hackberry jake

Nope, 1.5 x 3.5. I haven't had much trouble with sycamore warping/cupping real bad. I have about the same warp/cup issues with Cherry and Hickory.

Sparty

I don't have a great deal of experience with sycamore. I was very happy with the quarter sawn sycamore I used on this jewelry box.  It was pretty easy to machine and finish... Pretty similar to cherry or soft maple.

WDH

Mighty fine, mighty fine. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Red Clay Hound

All nice projects.  I really like the box Sparty!  Very nice quarter-sawn grain!
2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

mmartone

Good looking bench and pretty qtr sawn box. I have a slab that I'm hoping to make a kitchen island top out of and have the top and bottom pieces from the log we slabbed we are going to qtr saw. I hope my lumber looks as pretty as yours!
Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

ozarkgem

all very nice projects. I am not that good of a woodworker. That is why I do rustic.

Thank You Sponsors!