iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Big Sycamore and Red Oak

Started by ozarkgem, September 16, 2014, 06:53:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozarkgem

I have these big Sycamore and Red Oak that need to come down. The Sycamore will fall in the creek when the spring rains come. They really too big for me to handle. I can probably get them out with the backhoe but they are way too big for my mill. Any swingbladers close by?  The Red Oak is about 30' to the crotch. If its not hollow there will be a lot of nice lumber in it.

Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I hope the backhoe can move them.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

ozarkgem

Yep I know. They will fall in the creek when I cut them. An 8' log will be a chunk. Then what do I do with them? Haul them to the Amish and let them fight them.LOL
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Dave Shepard

Load them on a trailer and take them to Sycamore Project #4. :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Dave Shepard on September 16, 2014, 08:38:08 PM
Load them on a trailer and take them to Sycamore Project #4. :)

smiley_chop ,  move_itsplitwood_smiley  bon_fire musteat_1 smiley_beertoast  smiley_guitarist smiley_trap_drummer  Violin_smiley  smiley_sleeping
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

drobertson

What's this talk of taking to another mill?  thought you were sawing,,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

customsawyer

I am not sure it would fall in the creek this spring. Looks to me like it has made it through a few before.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

ozarkgem

Quote from: drobertson on September 16, 2014, 09:22:18 PM
What's this talk of taking to another mill?  thought you were sawing,,,
too big for me to saw. I don't like wasting time wrestling something that big. I have to turn by hand for one thing.

dboyt

You might consider quartering with a chain saw.  Great way to get quartersawn lumber, which is very nice in both sycamore & oak.  With a big saw & long bar, it goes pretty quickly.  If they are under 36" diameter, I could bring my Norwood mill up.

Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

ozarkgem

Quote from: dboyt on September 18, 2014, 11:53:15 AM
You might consider quartering with a chain saw.  Great way to get quartersawn lumber, which is very nice in both sycamore & oak.  With a big saw & long bar, it goes pretty quickly.  If they are under 36" diameter, I could bring my Norwood mill up.

they are over 36. I done the log split thing once. Spent 4 hrs trying to split a big Red Oak. Ended up firewood. I'll not do that again. Thanks for the offer on bringing your mill up. Not sure what I will do yet.I will wait for the sap to go down before I cut them.

Thank You Sponsors!