iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sleeveless drum sanding heads for drill press.

Started by hackberry jake, September 16, 2014, 05:48:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

I would like an oscillating spindle sander but I dont know if I have enough room or money. I see sanding drum kits for use in drill presses and handheld drills for pretty cheap. I looked into the reviews for a kit by peachtree woodworking and everybody said it was junk. I would like a sleeveless one so I can use any sandpaper I have around and I dont have to buy sandpaper sleeves. Do you guys have one? Do you like it?
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

gfadvm

I have a Harbor Freight OSS that has been a gem! (and I'm not usually a big HF fan). Think it was $79 with a coupon. The problem with the drill/drillpress drums is they don't ossillate and they load up/burn quickly.

The HF replacement sleeves are surprisingly good if you keep em clean with one of those big latex 'erasers'.

Left Coast Chris

I have the cheepo Griz bench top spindle sander and it has worked great for years.  Not sure how the particle board table top would hold up under heavy use or if you moved it around a lot.   So far so good though.  No complaints.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Compensation

I thought I seen somewhere a sander that clamps onto the side of your workbench. But I think it was just an attachment for the grizzly g0563. I have looked at the grizzly g0739. That might be a nice piece.
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

Ljohnsaw

I have a set (3 or 4 different diameters) that came from the tool catalog who's name escapes me now.  The one that has EVERYTHING, is somewhat expensive and has a blue theme on most of their products (no, not Logrite ;)).  Anyhow, they have a slot on the side and you stick in your paper and give a cam thing a little twist.  They work pretty good.  I only use 3M's 3X paper - best thing I've ever used.

If I really wanted an oscillating sander, then I suppose I could rig up a foot peddle to my drill press and give one leg a workout while I sand  :D

EDIT: From below - Lee Valley.  I was too cheap to buy them so my wife got them as a birthday present!  I guess I still paid for them ::)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Compensation

Quote from: ljohnsaw on September 17, 2014, 02:36:26 AM
I have a set (3 or 4 different diameters) that came from the tool catalog who's name escapes me now.  The one that has EVERYTHING, is somewhat expensive and has a blue theme on most of their products (no, not Logrite ;)).  Anyhow, they have a slot on the side and you stick in your paper and give a cam thing a little twist.  They work pretty good.  I only use 3M's 3X paper - best thing I've ever used.

If I really wanted an oscillating sander, then I suppose I could rig up a foot peddle to my drill press and give one leg a workout while I sand  :D

Kreg?
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

jueston

i have the BOSS, which i think is the most popular OSS. it does use sleeves which get spendy when your doing a lot of sanding, but i love the way the BOSS works, the osculating motion helps prolong the life of the sleeve and design of the machine sucks the dust away instantly, if i run it with a dust collector. i think i got mine used for $100 or so, and i don't use it real often, but when i need it i'm always glad i have it.

i have heard others question if a drill press is made to have pressure against the spindle in that direction. i don't know if that could be a problem with prolonged use.

21incher

I have the delta BOSS also. It did not cost that much and works well. The best part is it hooks up to my dust collector and does a very efficient job of collecting the dust. Plus the sleeves are easily cleaned with a belt cleaning block and last a long time. Previously I used the rubber drums with sleeves in my drill press and anytime I had to remove a large amount if stock they would burn the wood into the sleeve and the sandpaper sleeve would be nearly impossible to clean. Someday I want to get a inflatable drum for my lathe. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Larry

Another guy with the BOSS.  Its not a production machine but does work good for the simple stuff I do.  Of course if one of the old ones should pop up on craigslist for cheap I might be persuaded to get rid of it.

I did try one of the drums in a drill press.  Its easy to burn the sandpaper so that was my one and only experience.  Later I turned a wood drum to fit on a horizontal motor.  That way I could keep the work moving which prevented burnt sandpaper.  It was a problem holding the work in the right position.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

mesquite buckeye

I have a Rigid that also takes a belt sander or just the spindle. Couple of hundred bucks and works great. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

beenthere

I've seen where the drill press was converted to move the sanding head up and down using a makeshift crank shaft attached to the handle. IIRC it was a small motor driving a simple wood contraption with a wood pitman arm.  For what that is worth... ;)

Woodcraft has a sanding drum that uses sheets of sandpaper.
sanding drum
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

hackberry jake

I try to only buy American made tools, so as far as oscillating spindle sanders, I would probably be stuck with either antique (rare) or general international (Canada is close enough but spendy). I have a drill press I could probably modify to oscillate. These sleeveless drums from Lee Valley look pretty good
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=20189&cat=1,42500
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

WDH

I have one for the drill press.  Mine too has the little slot cut along the length so the you cut regular sandpaper to fit.  I have used mine a lot for sanding curves, and it works fine.  Simple easy to set up, and you can make a jig that fits over the drill press table with a hole in it just a bit bigger than the sanding drum so that you can adjust the drill press table and be able to use most of the sandpaper on the drum.  Not as good as a separate machine, but very functional.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!