iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Clean Blades Stay Sharper, maintain set, and Cut Flatter Lumber w/o soap

Started by prittgers, September 16, 2014, 01:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

backwoods sawyer

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Tom the Sawyer

Prittgers,

"Use a soluble oil/silicone lube additive." 
Specifically, what product are you recommending?
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Compensation

I use moonshine in my tank, is that bad? On a serious note I use water with 3.215 glugs of pine sol. Looking for a new recipe for when I cut these walnut logs so I am going to keep an eye on this post.
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

redprospector

Quote from: Compensation on September 17, 2014, 12:49:43 AM
I use moonshine in my tank, is that bad? On a serious note I use water with 3.215 glugs of pine sol. Looking for a new recipe for when I cut these walnut logs so I am going to keep an eye on this post.
Other than being a terrible waste of moonshine, I don't know, I haven't tried it.  ;)
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Compensation

Something to do with the tail ends I guess :D. I could test out the blue creeper on it. Or wait till I get their degreaser at a lower price than the oil. Ruin a few boards, learn a few things.
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

47sawdust

Jeezum Parker,
The only thing more contriversial around  here than blade lube is grits and I see our dear friend Ray has already touched on that.It's breakfast time here and there will be no grits.Personally,I'm in the diesel fuel/bar oil corner with frequent blade changes.
Good thread,good info to share,your points are well taken.Gotta go to work.
Mick
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

slider

I have been using spindle cleaner now for quiet some time and it works.I started with the john deere brand to start with but found that the generic works just as well.The only time i use diesel now is on true heart pine.If you can smell it on that you are much better than me.al
al glenn

DGK

A shot or two of Pine Sol cleaner mixed with water works for me.
Doug
Yukon, Canada

LT40G38 modified to dual pumped hydraulic plus, HR120 Resaw, EG200 Edger, Bobcat S185,Bobcat S590, Logosol PH260M3, Sthil MS660's, MS460,MS362's MS260, Trailtech dump trailer, F350, F700 Tilt-Deck log/Lumber Hauler, JD440B Skidder, Naarva S23C Processor

terrifictimbersllc

Cascade in water (sufficient amount of both cascade and flow) keeps my blades clean.  Pine, spruce, hickory, ash being the most egregious offenders of good blade hygiene.  I think it is less about cleaning the blade than about making the blade slippery so residue doesn't stick.  That being said, this "soap" will also clean a blade with buildup on it by running the dirty blade for a bit with the lube on and not sawing.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

ely

I have used pine sol and I have also used the purple stuff degreaser. .. after a day of sawing I need to squirt the bar oil/kerosene mixture on my roller guide bearings or they seem to dry out and fail more often. more so with the degreaser.
on very rich pine I also squirt the oil mix directly on the band as needed.

Compensation

Quote from: prittgers on September 16, 2014, 01:00:40 PM
1), water should be viewed as a 'coolant'

Water should be viewed as water. We use it to dilute our concentrate. Coolant is more related to a process instead of an ingredient. Coolant is a flooded process that submerges tools, blades, material,  or spaces that need to be cooled, rinsed and lubricated all at the same time. Try running straight water in a cnc or in your engine. There's another one, your vehicle. While it says coolant you still have two components. Those are antifreeze and water. Does that help clear it up a little?

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Compensation on September 17, 2014, 09:52:15 PM
Quote from: prittgers on September 16, 2014, 01:00:40 PM
1), water should be viewed as a 'coolant'

Those are antifreeze and water. Does that help clear it up a little?

Its a bit "GREEN"

Good reply.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

backwoods sawyer

I don't veiw the saw as a sealed radiator under presure that uses antifreeze, but rather like taking a red hot piece of metal and spaying water on it which definatly does cools it, maybe not as much as water and antifreeze :-\

100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

redbeard

Backwoods  do you have a picture of the Cooks diesel wick set up that was gravity fed. That  you mentioned.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

backwoods sawyer

This is one of two on the Cooks mill. Will get pic of the one on the WM.

Compensation

Quote from: backwoods sawyer on September 17, 2014, 11:25:20 PM
I don't veiw the saw as a sealed radiator under presure that uses antifreeze, but rather like taking a red hot piece of metal and spaying water on it which definatly does cools it, maybe not as much as water and antifreeze :-\

I don't either but I do see your point. Realistically anything will cool down a red hot piece of steel even your skin if you let it. It's the term "coolant" that is tossed around too much. Just because your skin will cool down the metal doesn't make your skin coolant. Try telling someone you just drink a glass of coolant or next time it rains say its raining coolant. Coolant has it's purposes for washing, lubing, coating, even letting the tiny gas bubble form behind the cutting tip to slow down the heat transfer. It's the additives or ingredients that focuses the fluid to the tasks that becomes coolant. Water just dilutes it and is a cheaper component to help thin the recipe out.

Without antifreeze your water would freeze and crack your block. Antifreeze mixed with water transfers heat better. Straight antifreeze or straight water doesn't work as well. they have their flaws without one another. The combination makes it coolant, and that coolant does pretty good for it's purpose.

We use our lube tanks to keep gunk from building up on our blades to reduce friction that causes the heat. I let mine drip and doing that helps distribute the lube and slow down the build up. Now flooding it would pretty much guarantee that there will be no build up anywhere and no heat in the blade. That is what i would call coolant.

Shiny

prittgers

47Sawdust hit the bull's eye. This is about GRITS  If we use GRIT-JUICE nothing will stick.  We may not be able to keep the blades on the wheels ! 

Wow!  This is a fun group !  Are you guys using  Grit-Sol-F for Fords or Grit-Sol-c for Chevys?  :)
Parker Rittgers
Professional Sawyer, Retired, well, not really !
WoodMizer Alaska | 907.360.2497 cell 336.5143 office BevelSider.com ? Everything BevelSider
prittgers@aksamill.com

ely

I love grits any way you fix em.... but im not sure I could eat them with diesel or soap in them at all.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: prittgers on September 18, 2014, 12:07:33 PM
47Sawdust hit the bull's eye. This is about GRITS  If we use GRIT-JUICE nothing will stick.  We may not be able to keep the blades on the wheels ! 

Wow!  This is a fun group !  Are you guys using  Grit-Sol-F for Fords or Grit-Sol-c for Chevys?  :)

Well, it's easy to tell you're from Alaska.

Anybody who has ever scrubbed the pot which was used to cook grits knows that they stick better than most glues!

And they stick to your ribs pretty good too...

Herb

backwoods sawyer

I installed a "T" in the main fuel line, then added a filter in the new line. This assembly has a shut off and the brass piece is an I-V style drip, the shut off and adjuster can be reached from the backside of the saw. The felt holder is bolted onto the guide assembly.   

Note the build up on the belt. The diesle had made it to the felt but the saw had not been spun when I took the picture. Hope this helps to solve that issue.
The I-V drip can be turned down to once every few sec or can be turned up to over flow the felt holder.

5quarter

X2 regarding silicone in your lube tank. silicone and wood do not mix. it requires only a couple PPM to wreak havoc with finishes.

I'm with Peter...I mostly run a dry blade with no trouble. White oak and pine are exceptions in that I do periodically have to run a felt pad soaked in diesel over a moving blade to clean the blade. This year I have been sawing a lot more white oak and fabbed up a Cooks style wick system, with some help from member KelLog. Hopefully I'll have time to install it this winter when things slow down a bit.

Grits tip #4
   Mix some dry grits with a bit of diesel fuel and use as a hand cleaner.  ;)     
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

mikeb1079

when i first started sawing i ran dry until i milled up some white ash.  was seeing a ton of build up on the teeth and waves galore.  started using magic mans' formula of water/cascade and problem solved.

8)
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

scsmith42

Quote from: YellowHammer on September 16, 2014, 11:33:31 PM

My favorite is Cotton Picker Spindle Cleaner, and is the only thing I use now for blade lube and cleaner.  It is a water soluble oil and detergent, and is easily available down south this time of year.  Its specifically designed to clean plant stem residue and sap from the spindles and lubricate moving parts of very expensive cotton pickers and harvesting machines. It is available at any local farmers COOP. It was specifically designed for for this type of job on farm machinery so works equally well on bandsaw blades.  It is tank mixed with water, a few glugs per gallon, so 5 gallons of Spindle Kleen will last a long time. It's effective cleaning properties allows me to turn the blade lube flow rate to about half of what I need with conventional soap and water mixes.  Also, since I sharpen my own blades, even though the spindle cleaner is diluted with water, it will not cause the bands to rust, so means I can go straight from the mill to the sharpener without having to clean pitch or rust off the blade.
It has virtually no detectable odor to me, and will not stain or damage wood, or affect the final finishes.  I have never had a single customer complaint or comment about residue on the boards, and many of my customers are professional furniture makers.

I use either John Deere Spinde Cleaner Solvent, AN114022 or Spindle Kleen.  Pretty much all big farm machinery brands such as Case, Massey, etc that make cotton pickers have a similar water soluble oil/lubricant/cleaner and I assume they are equally effective, but I haven't tried them.
YH

YH - how does this mix work on SYP?  What kind of flow rate do you use?
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

ely

Thank You Sponsors!