iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

70s timberjack skidder problems any ideas?

Started by Jrlyman, September 15, 2014, 10:06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jrlyman

My 70s timberjack skidder when hot the trany and hydrolics do not like to work any ideas?

nhlogga

When was the last time the fluids were changed? Hydraulic filter changed?  Coolers plugged?
Jonsered 2260
Husky 562xp

Jrlyman

All the fluids are new just had the hydrolics all redone pulling the filters today to see if they repaced them, thanks for the input

timberlinetree

Maybe a collapsed hydraulic hose? Hope you get it fixed.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Jrlyman

We'll I think my problem is the filter it definitely has not been changed I can see that the previous owner had tried to remove it in the past with no luck I worked on it and can't get it to budge either so I'm thinking of bypassing the hole thing any one have any thoughts?

lopet

Don't think bypassing a filter is a good idea. They are there for a reason.  Spend some money on a filter removal  tool,  would be money spend well.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

central pa

If it's just a regular spin on filter just hammer a screw driver in for a lot more leverage

Maine logger88

Yeh definitely don't bypass the filter they catch a lot of crap that is harmful to the system. Is this the cartrige type filter in the tank you are talking about?
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Jrlyman

No its in a canister in the cab of the skidder

Maine logger88

Hmm can't help you on that one I've only dealt with the ones with the tank under the rad with the filter in the tank

Neilo

The TJs with the hydraulic tank in the cab are 1965 or earlier. As others have said, go back to removing the dirty filter.

That machine could have a few transmissions based on model. Is it a standard shift (it is factory)? If so, being warm shouldn't affect much. Please describe machine and problem a bit more.

Jrlyman

We can't find any numbers on it to find the year the serial number plate is gone but we think it's early 70s from pics we found it is a grapple skidder with a Hercules winch it has doors on both sides of the cab and the trany is a hydrostatic with hi,low and reverse

Jrlyman

The problem is as it heats up the hydrolics to tern left and right do not won't to work and the trany gets sluggish but when cool in the morning it runs like it's new. Thanks for the help

ClarkF66

It sounds to me like it could be a 360 or a 404. I believe the 360 grapple came around 1969. It usually had a 6 syl Perkins engine.
Had the same problem on a 404, quick and responsive in the morning, more and more sluggish during the day. The transmission pump where shot.

Jrlyman

I don't know a lot about this skidder what kind of hydrolic fluid or trany fluid should I be runing in it?

lopet

Never heard of 1970's tj with hydrostatic transmission.  Can somebody help me out here ?
I think, either you have a newer skidder than you think with power shift and torque converter, or you really have a old one with standard transmission and your hydraulics only run your steering and your blade.
Thumb question   is it green or red ?
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.

Jrlyman

lopet

Neilo should be the guy to talk to, but still don't know what you've got.

Jrlyman

Ya that's the problem we can't find any thing to look it up and find what year or make it is the guy that redid all the hydronic seals said it had a hydrostatic trany or p.t.o drivin ? Like I said I don't know much about this skidder any thoughts or ideas are appreciated thanks

lopet

I would love to see a red 1970 TJ grapple skidder with doors on both sides of the cab and a hydrostatic transmission with high low and reverse. 8) 8) 8)  That's something I always wanted. Where did you find it ?

Jrlyman

Like I said just Gessing on the year from what I've seen on line and what the guy I got it from said. Just trying to get it running right before I put it to work. So if any one could let me know if they have any ideas on what fluids to run in it or what trany it mite actually have again just going off what the guy that redid the hydrolic seals said about the trans

Neilo

OK, going only off the hyd tank location, I jumped the gun. From what you say, orange, access both sides, powershift, doors, square frame, I am not sure. Please take some photos and post them.

Here is what I can say.

It is not a 200 Series (access only one side)

It is not an early 300 Series (they have round frame and no doors)

I don't know much on the 404. Maybe look them up and see if it matches?

Jrlyman

Can't seem to post any picks but I did find a stamped number on the chassis it's 360-366108 if that means anything to anyone if the trany is just a power shift do you just run regular ATF ?

Maine logger88

Must be a 360 then?  As far as having the square tube canopy that could have been something someone built I have seen that before.

Jrlyman

Thanks for all the help with this thing Iv got the filter taken cair of but still having the same problem with the trany not working like it should some one had said somthing about the tany pump is that the next thing to look at? Are they rebuild able or do you need to get new? And how much am I looking at? Thanks again for all the help

Thank You Sponsors!