iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

120 acres of Pine and Oak, What to do?

Started by dsgsr, September 14, 2014, 11:21:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsgsr

:) I'm very happy to have it. Got a beginners saw mill coming. Not sure where to start. Not sure what the market is like in my area (Monroe,Me.) I spoke with someone a town over and was told they turn down work. Right now I have plenty of wood to saw (My own). I'm new to milling, don't want to mess up someone else's logs. I have the equipment I need to log the wood (two tractors, winch, grapple, three saws, 10-ton trailer with bunks) So, do I log the cream and sell in log form and use the lesser grade for the buildings I want to build? Should I mill the cream and sell in lumber form? Also need to pick brains about where to sell log form, (new to this area) I have cut and sold off and on for the last 17-yrs in another area of Maine.

Thank you,
David
Northlander band mill
Kubota M59 TLB
Takeuchi TB175 Excavator
'08 Ford 550 dump
'87 International Dump
2015 Miller 325 Trailblazer Welder/Gen

Larry

I would start with a forester.  He can take an inventory for future tax use.  At the same time he can come up with a timber stand improvement plan.  Chances are you will have a lot of low grade that needs to come out.  Start milling that stuff.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

drobertson

Quote from: Larry on September 14, 2014, 01:35:03 PM
I would start with a forester.  He can take an inventory for future tax use.  At the same time he can come up with a timber stand improvement plan.  Chances are you will have a lot of low grade that needs to come out.  Start milling that stuff.
Larry said it right in my opinion, need an inventory to start with, then a tsi plan. Lots of options with 120 acres.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

rick f

David did you move from Franklin or just buy land?
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

thecfarm

Have you ever cut for grade? Meaning where to cut the tree for the best logs,meaning money? I myself have never tried to sell lumber. I feel I can sell logs and make more money. But that is with white pine,mostly.I would call the state and get an intent to havest,if selling logs. No big deal,just keep your scale slips and file a report at the end of ther year. I have not cut and sold logs for years. It's kinda hard to sell logs to a mill,on a small scale. I always had good luck,but they can shut you and others off anytime.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

drobertson

the markets in different areas, and the types of wood change so much, that it is hard to give advice. 
Processing any lumber if done in an efficient manner should bring more than logs, if the market is there to sell.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

BCsaw

You mentioned that you had a beginners mill coming. If you are going to saw quality stuff, get some experience in. The hardest part for me was not the mill build, set up, log supply, it is the process of learning to saw.

No matter what route you take, learning to saw is a "process". I learn something new at the mill everyday. The more help that you can get from a tried and true sawyer, you will gain in leaps and bounds.

Good luck. ;D
Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

dsgsr

Quote from: thecfarm on September 14, 2014, 05:23:56 PM
Have you ever cut for grade? Meaning where to cut the tree for the best logs,meaning money? I myself have never tried to sell lumber. I feel I can sell logs and make more money. But that is with white pine,mostly.I would call the state and get an intent to havest,if selling logs. No big deal,just keep your scale slips and file a report at the end of ther year. I have not cut and sold logs for years. It's kinda hard to sell logs to a mill,on a small scale. I always had good luck,but they can shut you and others off anytime.

I have never cut for grade. I did the Harvest # each yr. until the last few yrs. where I was cutting under 5-acres and then just sold under house lot. I have never sold to a mill, always to log yard. Hopefully there is a log yard close to me.

David
Northlander band mill
Kubota M59 TLB
Takeuchi TB175 Excavator
'08 Ford 550 dump
'87 International Dump

dsgsr

Quote from: BCsaw on September 14, 2014, 08:52:28 PM
You mentioned that you had a beginners mill coming. If you are going to saw quality stuff, get some experience in. The hardest part for me was not the mill build, set up, log supply, it is the process of learning to saw.

No matter what route you take, learning to saw is a "process". I learn something new at the mill everyday. The more help that you can get from a tried and true sawyer, you will gain in leaps and bounds.

Good luck. ;D

Exactly!!  It would be better to sell in log form then to mess up the logs not knowing what I'm doing milling.

David
Northlander band mill
Kubota M59 TLB
Takeuchi TB175 Excavator
'08 Ford 550 dump
'87 International Dump

thecfarm

How big is the oak? Some buyers want the oak long and then they tell you where to cut them. BUT saying that on a small scale it's hard to get the trees out quickly. Most buyers want it as fresh as they can get it. My father and me use to cut pine on a small scale off this land. We never had a problem with the logs going bad on us. But have no idea about oak. We use to sell to Irving,in Dixfield. They would take anything,maple,oak,white pine,spruce. I think they use to only cut white pine there. The other wood they would resell. But we only was trying to cut white pine. If something else was in the way we would cut it. Might only be a few logs of other kind on a load.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

dsgsr

Quote from: thecfarm on September 15, 2014, 06:03:53 AM
How big is the oak? Some buyers want the oak long and then they tell you where to cut them. BUT saying that on a small scale it's hard to get the trees out quickly. Most buyers want it as fresh as they can get it. My father and me use to cut pine on a small scale off this land. We never had a problem with the logs going bad on us. But have no idea about oak. We use to sell to Irving,in Dixfield. They would take anything,maple,oak,white pine,spruce. I think they use to only cut white pine there. The other wood they would resell. But we only was trying to cut white pine. If something else was in the way we would cut it. Might only be a few logs of other kind on a load.

I haven't done any measuring dbh yet, but there is only a few oaks I can't get my arms around but numerous white pine that big. I'm 6' 2" with long arms.

David
Northlander band mill
Kubota M59 TLB
Takeuchi TB175 Excavator
'08 Ford 550 dump
'87 International Dump

Thank You Sponsors!