iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need a new rip handsaw

Started by BCsaw, September 14, 2014, 01:24:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BCsaw

I was wondering if anybody had experience with these saws that are said to cross cut and rip. Do they perform as required?

I am sceptical. I was looking at one from Germany and they claim it does both.

I am having trouble finding a rip saw(in Canada) that isn't over $100.

It seems that handsaws are a dying breed. A bunch of woodworking outlets in Canada do not even stock them anymore.

Your help would be appreciated.
Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

Brian_Weekley

You're right--almost impossible to find new rip saws.  I think your best bet is finding an old Diston rip saw.  They are easy to sharpen.  See if Jim Rogers has any available.  If not, keep an eye for them at old tool shops, flea markets, eBay, etc...  I found a nice one on Craigslist. 
e aho laula

BCsaw

I kind of figured this was my most likely avenue. In my area, there just isn't the access to the amount of stuff you guys might have down there.

There is a flea market in town this weekend, so you can bet that I will there first thing!

With the lack of interest in handsaws, I would expect to see them go pretty cheap. Just as long as they aren't playing the antique card. :D

Jim_Rogers

I found a new saw that is re-sharpen-able.
I showed a picture of it in this thread:

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,75532.0.html

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

BCsaw

Ha! That is great news. Thanks for sharing Jim. I purchased one a couple of days ago for $19. I bought for the purpose of quickly sawing larger timbers. I was not aware that it rips as well. It should be here in a few days.  :D :D

Just as a side note......this saw was on Amazon.ca for $19 and at the same time on Amazon.com for $69!

MattJ

Wonder why the price went up so much?  I have tried to get one in the US for the past few months and they are really expensive now.  I tried Jim's at his class and was hooked.  A really great saw and was super fast and felt great.

BCsaw

My question is why the difference between the Canadian and U.S sites. Usually it is us Canadians that have to pay double what you guys pay down there!

MattJ

Apparently the Bahco timber saw market is highly variable.  I just checked Google now and found a half dozen retailers marking it down to ~23-30 dollars each.  Why was it $60 on Tuesday from the same stores?  It's even marked "now 49% off" on one!

MattJ

Well, we will see if this works.  Placed an order from a retailer selling it for $20!  I also saw the files for the saw on sale for ~$11 for a 10-pack!  I didn't order that but they used to be 3X that amount.  Did a shipping container from Bahco just wash up on shore somewhere!

I can say though first hand I really liked that saw when Jim let us use it.  It was the saw everyone was reaching for.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: MattJ on September 19, 2014, 12:30:31 PM
Well, we will see if this works.  Placed an order from a retailer selling it for $20!  I also saw the files for the saw on sale for ~$11 for a 10-pack!  I didn't order that but they used to be 3X that amount.  Did a shipping container from Bahco just wash up on shore somewhere!

I can say though first hand I really liked that saw when Jim let us use it.  It was the saw everyone was reaching for.

@MattJ

Where did you see those files for $11 / 10 pack?

Herb

MattJ

scsmith42

Quote from: MattJ on September 19, 2014, 02:38:05 PM
Sent you a PM

Matt, pls send me the retailer info too.  Thx.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Jim_Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

happyj

Thank You Sponsors!