iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

And the adventure begins!

Started by Longshot1911, September 13, 2014, 10:33:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Longshot1911

After much consideration of mill attributes, I came across a used Peterson 10" WPF that I could not pass up.  The mill was located 109 miles away, so I set an appointment to view/test drive the following Sat.  Just my luck, the entire day was plagued by rain.  No matter.  The owner had a 26-is"x 16' oak laying between the rails when I arrived.  In short order, we cut up a pile of 1x6, 2x6, and some 4x4's.  I forgot how heavy these *DanG things are!  In short, the mill was everything I hoped it would be and more.  Even with dull/chipped teeth, it powered through the log.

Sorry I don't have pics of the test drive, but it was raining, and I was busy.

I did take these pics for entertainment purposes.  You know what they say about the equipment you want vs the equipment you have?  Well, I don't currently have a truck-truck.  What I have is a 1984 Toyota 4runner with a removable shell.  I have hauled a 1000 lb gun safe several times, so I knew it could handle the weight.  I used two 2x6's to "extend" my bed for the frame.  I also kept a couple of the nice quartersawn 4x4's to make new skids with (this is a 2001 machine, using the old rail support system).  While it may look precarious, my buddy and I made the 109 mile trip home in the pouring rain (it let up just long enough to take these pics).  Talk about an adventure!

Anyway, more pictures and stories to come in the future.  That's for running such a great resource!

10" Petrson WPF, clip on slabber, planer blade inbound!

beenthere

Nice find. Look forward to hearing more about your adventure.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sandhills

SWEET!  You're gonna have some fun now  :)

Magicman

Looks like you may have found your niche.   ;D 

I understand the "no picture" thing.  When I am sawing "hourly rate" I am reluctant to reach for the camera. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mad murdock

Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Seaman

Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

thecfarm

So there. What's the plan for all the lumber?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Longshot1911

All part of a bigger plan.  For now, I will take on local mobile work on the weekends to gain experience.  I have several friends with log piles. 

Market research will continue as we look to our full time retirement plan.  Final location will determine final use.  At a minimum, I see some timber frame construction in my future.

Mill was purchased with an electric lift that was not installed by the previous owner.  That is now done.  Interviewing local saw shops to get one of the 3 blades re-tipped. 

Clean, oil, and prepare equipment.  Replace what is missing (coolent bottle, track levelers).  From the pictures, you can see the frame  is lacking the new style frame brace.  I will either buy or make one to stiffen things up a bit.  I just picked up a lightweight 4x8 trailer that will make hauling with my little truck much more convienent. 

I will post updates as I go.
10" Petrson WPF, clip on slabber, planer blade inbound!

Thank You Sponsors!