iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blade Deflection question on Wm LT40 super

Started by flatrock58, September 13, 2014, 08:57:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flatrock58

I have been going through my manual on my 2001 WM lt40 Super and when adjusting the blade guide deflection it says set your blade at 15" then deflect the blade until it reads 14 7/8".  I see many post in the forum stating that you should have a 1/4" deflection not a 1/8" deflection.  Did this change or am I missing something?

Steve
2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

Magicman

Sounds like a typo.  It should be ¼" deflection.  Then later my manual states that if any major changes are made when adjusting the blade guide tilt, that you should go back and verify the ¼" deflection.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ga Mtn Man

I checked my manual in both the routine and complete alignment procedure sections and both say 14¾".  As MM said, it must just be a typo.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

flatrock58

Thanks Guys.  I guess I will go back and lower it another 1/8".

Steve
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

Dave Shepard

1/4" here on '92 and '93 LT40 and '08 LT40 Super.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

flatrock58

6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

flatrock58

Will the extra 1/8" make a big difference in how the blade acts?

Steve
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

bandmiller2

Steve it probably won't make any difference, try it. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

drobertson

I ran 1/8" for a while,  it does help in my opinion to have the 1/4" deflection. Not earth shaking but worth the little effort it takes.  Blade alignment, and drive belt tension is equally as important.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

warren46

I had a visit by a representative of Lennox come look at my mill regarding premature broken blades.  He suggested I reduce the deflection on my roller guides since excessive deflection causes more flexing of the blade.  The flexing can result in fatigue cracks in the blades.  It makes sense to me that to much deflection can cause fatigue.  If 1/8" works it may have a positive effect on blade life.
Warren E. Johnson
Timber Harvester 36HTE25, John Deere 300b backhoe/loader.

terrifictimbersllc

My 13 yr old manual has the 1/8 deflection which is what I've used.  Would like to hear from WM if  is a typo. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Larry

I've always wondered why we use any deflection.  I've always thought it was to dampen vibration from using loose belts but that is just a guess.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Magicman

Without some deflection there would be no way to control the blade with the blade guides.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Magicman on September 14, 2014, 04:13:08 PM
Without some deflection there would be no way to control the blade with the blade guides.

smiley_thumbsup
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

drobertson

I was told that the deflection takes some of the load off the band wheels,  but even so, the speed of the cut with belt tension will determine the blade through the cut.  My re-saw has no deflection and moves right along rather quickly.   Alignment is critical, without dispute.   I've seen a few with plenty of deflection on several band mills, and the results were horrible.  These are not circle mills by any stretch of the imagination.  It really boils down to what is acceptable in saw time and product uniformity.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Chuck White

Quote from: Larry on September 14, 2014, 12:05:12 PM
I've always wondered why we use any deflection.  I've always thought it was to dampen vibration from using loose belts but that is just a guess.

I've always kind of thought that coming off the rubber belts, into the log/cant, there would be an error, in that the belts won't run true, but the steel blade guide wheels will true up the blade.

Just sayin'!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bandmiller2

A good reason for down pressure on the roller guides is to keep them turning, too little down pressure and the band tends to skate over them that could lead to flat spots. If you can see the back of your roller guides put a mark with a majic marker you can then tell if they slow down or stop indicating a band that's starting to dive. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!