iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log Splitter Valve

Started by scott60, September 12, 2014, 10:47:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scott60

Hey guys, I picked up a used homemade log splitter a few weeks ago. It was in my price range so with a few tweaks and improvements I think it will work well for my needs.  My question is, is the hydraulic control valve a factor in how much hydraulic pressure is delivered to the cylinder?  It will get stuck in logs that other splitters I have used would have no trouble with.  The valve does not have the auto retract feature like most log splitters have.  I was thinking of replacing the valve for that reason alone.  If the valve is limiting the pressure that's all the more reason to replace it.  Here are a few details that I know about the splitter:

10 HP Briggs
Vickers vane pump (haven't been able to find model number)
Cross control valve (haven't been able to find model number)
Cylinder measures about 4.5" outside diameter

I know the model numbers would probably tell a lot more about whats going on.  I'll try to clean it all up this weekend and see if I can find the numbers on the pump and valve.

beenthere

Scott
I'd invest in a pressure gauge and see if the pump is putting out - first.
If it is ok, then can look in to the control valve. 
Surplus Center is a good place to check out as they have some good hyd. info that can be used to figure pressures and sizes. Also have a variety of pumps and control valves to ponder.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

pineywoods

Nope, not the valve, it's either off or wide open. Most likely the pump. Vane pumps not a good choice for a splitter. A 2 stage gear pump is not much over $100 from surpluscenter..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Al_Smith

A Vickers vane pump if things are right usually works well .However several key words in this,used and homemade .Most likely the vanes are worn allowing it to bypass .

A new two stage gear pump will be less expensive than rebuilding anything that says Vickers on it .

I have a Vickers vane on one of my Ferguson tractors with a loader .I rebuilt it some time ago but the parts didn't cost me one red cent .--perks of the job in a manner of speaking  ;)

Mapleman

Its possible that there's a problem with the pressure relief valve opening up at too low a pressure, not allowing the system to operate at full pressure.  The pressure relief valve is often built into the control valve, and is sometimes adjustable.  As stated earlier, a pressure gauge is probably necessary to track down and fix the problem.
"The older I get, the better I used to be."

scott60

beenthere, Mapleman - It does have a pressure guage on it already although the numbers are hard to see.  At what point should I be watching the pressure?  I assume when its stuck?

piney, Al - I'll check out surplus center to see what they have for two stages pumps.

Gearbox

with that 10 HP Briggs you should be able to run a 16 gal 2 stage at 2500 psi . With a vickers single stage and 10 HP you can't run over 9 or 10 gal per min at 1500 psi . These are only my numbers so don't hang me out over a gal or a hundred psi Gearbox
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Mapleman

That's right.  You should have the cylinder dead ended (either on the out or in stroke) and read the pressure on your gauge when operate the valve to try to go further in the dead ended direction.  I don't know much about vane pumps but if what Gearbox says is correct, you should read around 1500 psi on your gauge.

If you read something less, the system isn't creating enough pressure, either because the relief valve is letting go too early or the pump is worn and can't make the pressure it should. 

Some relief valves (a picture of your valve might be helpful) are adjustable, while dead ended you could try to slowly increase the relief pressure and see if the system pressure rises.  If adjustments don't make any difference, its probably the pump thats the problem.   
"The older I get, the better I used to be."

beenthere

QuoteMy question is, is the hydraulic control valve a factor in how much hydraulic pressure is delivered to the cylinder?  It will get stuck in logs that other splitters I have used would have no trouble with.

Scott
Keep in mind, as mentioned, that this may not be a two-stage pump and the other splitters you used may have the two-stage. They will shift down when the going gets tough and push through, where single stage will not. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

scott60

Gearbox was right, I get about 1500 psi when the cylinder is dead ended.  I am pretty sure its a one stage pump and yes the other splitters I have used are two stage.  Now just to decide if I want to invest in a valve with auto retract or two stage pump.  I've split several loads of wood with it and been able to split everything, just have to work around the edges of the pieces. 

Thank You Sponsors!