iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

3rd times a charm or jd440

Started by RKH Logging, September 11, 2014, 09:00:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RKH Logging

Well i got a week out of the 453. Im so tired of this thing. Im torin in between buying a 440 local sale or doing the motor for a 3rd time.  Im really excited for some replies on this subject. I have untill monday before i make my decistion so any help would be great. I cant wait to here from rockwall.

snowstorm

Southside

I agree with snowstorm.  I must have missed your earlier post, so I don't know what the issue has been.  A local, little saw shop that I do business with has a couple of 4-53's in his shop that he has gone through.  He has been into Detroits for years and works on my saws and such.  He was showing me around his shop just the other day.  I can get more info for you if you would like.   
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

redprospector

Hmm, that's a tough one.
A running 440 will pull more wood than whatever you have with a blown up 453, that's for sure. But a 440 is going to be a lot less horse power than your used to with a 453.
I'm going to go with the Cummins thinking. A 4bt can be had pretty reasonably, and are pretty tough.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

lopet

What's the issue ?  Maybe it's not as bad as you think.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

RKH Logging

I thought about the cummins but its to costly to change the convertor. And to be honest im sick of this skidder. Ive never owned i bigger lemon in my life thats why i painted it bright yellow. I could go back to the bush tomorrow and if it were up in flames i wouldent pee on it to try to put it out evan if i had to pee. As far as the 453 i have another one ready to go in. Just dont know if i should evan bother.  Ive done nothing but baby that piece of junk since i got it and it treats me like garbage. Ive sunk every time ive made in the past year into it and got nothing but 4 loads of pulp out.  And im sick of the noise that pile of crap makes. Sorry for my long rant but you could just imagine my frustration.

RKH Logging

Quote from: lopet on September 11, 2014, 09:58:51 PM
What's the issue ?  Maybe it's not as bad as you think.

The blocks cracked or the head. you pour coolant in and  it comes straight out of the air box once again.  I should have lit this thing on fire a long time ago. I hate it.

North River Energy

1. Condolences on a frustrating situation.
2. Both the block and head passed a pressure check prior to rebuilding?
3. Machinery isn't capricious.  Somebody 'screwed up' somewhere along the line, and this is just a painful learning opportunity that will pay off somewhere in the future.
4. If the spare motor is a known quantity, get that sucker in place and start pulling.
5. Hang in there.  It's only damaged metal, not flesh.

BargeMonkey

If youve got another engine handy dump it in, run it what you can and put the skidder for sale.   Personally I would stay away from a 440, unless your just running it on the weekend or doing small lots. Everyone can claim how "awesome" they are, but if I had to feed a family on what a 440 will pull we would starve to death. If you look around the skidders are out there. What is so bad about making the converter fit ? Bellhousing and  flywheel ? Cummins is the right choice if your going to keep it.

rockwall

So sorry to hear about your troubles. I bet you are frustrated. I guess I missed a post about your new motor going bad. Will the mechanic go good for it? I can't imagine how frustrated you must be. I agree with BargeMonkey, dump a different good motor in it and try to get some of your money back. It sounds like you want to be rid of that machine so you might as well try to get as much of your money out of it that you can. What do you know about the other 453?

coxy

sorry to here       but I would not blame the skidder      but the person the thought he new how to rebuild it       is it the same guy that did it before      if so find some one else  I know its hard to keep putting money in        I have been there and done that but some times its better to spend a little more on a rebuild from a good company      if you were closer I could have you one in 2 days   hope every thing works out for you in what ever you do  keep us posted   and for the 440 im looking for one or a small 208-225 jack as well trying to down size a lot  ;D

RKH Logging

The other 453 is a running take out with 600 or so hours, has been sitting now in a garage for a few years. Im gonna pick up the motor and put it in but im still going to put this skidder for sale. As far as putting a cummins in i dont got time for that kinda job right now. I just want to skid wood. 

rockwall

That sounds like a smart plan. Good luck.

lynde37avery

Fix what you got and start looking for another tractor. I bet a cummins swap in that would be awesome though.
Detroit WHAT?

BargeMonkey

I had a 4BT in a 405 franklin and that was a smooth running machine. Didnt use to much fuel and had just enough power in a smaller skidder, would eat my 440D for lunch. I lost the 353 in my forwarder a few years ago and wish I had done the swap then, but mine has a straight manual trans and wouldnt have been too hard. I know your sick of turning wrenches and getting no where, but at least get it together, cut what you can and sell it for something better. Ive found that making payments is usually easier than fixing stuff, just try not to do both at once.  :D

timberlinetree

That's a real bummer! At lease you know how to do the swap and getting real good at it. Real sorry to hear about this skidder and wish you luck!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

RKH Logging

well i made the trip down the line to pick the motor up today. turns out the motor was a 4172 not a 453. wasted the day. now im evan more fed up.

bushmechanic

I feel your pain RKH logging and as far as I'm concerned the repair shop should repair the engine for you unless it was a favor job. The 53 series Detroit Diesel is a good engine when rebuilt right but there is a lot more moving parts in one and rebuilders don't understand this when doing them. The Cummins B series is also a good engine but if you have cylinder damaged then it's a throw away. Too bad I wasn't closer to you. Sorry to hear about the other engine.

RKH Logging

Well i did a search on doing the 4bt swap. I guess now with that motor not working out i dont have many options. What all would need to be done to make this work. Remeber my machine is not any where need a garage so it would be a bush job. Thanks hope to get some good input.

Maine logger88

I agree with everybody about get her going cause even if you do decide to sell it it would be easier to sell and you would be able to get a lot more out of it plus could be pulling wood  meanwhile. Another option would be a 353t there about the same power as a 453 and a lot quieter might be a easier swap. 4bt is the best route to go tho as they start better are longer lasting quiet and have more bottom end power
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

BargeMonkey

Thats not a job your going to pull off in the woods. Swapping in a 4BT is really only if you plan on keeping this creature. Youve gotta come up with a pump, mounts, little things. If your not in love with the machine I wouldnt,

rockwall

I know of two guys here who swapped Cummins motors into their skidders. One was a Case with a Case motor and the other was a Clark 664 B with a 353 Detroit. Both swaps took a lot of time and a lot of frustration. Both were done by experienced mechanics at shops and it still was a huge complicated job with many modifications. The mechanic who did the clark said he had 90 hours in the job. He also said now that he has done one he could do it a lot faster . Since you are not crazy about the machine I would recommend going the easiest route and just find another motor that will slip right in there. You don't need any more aggravation.   

RKH Logging

Im set on buying the 440. I got a guy coming to look at my skidder on wednesday. If it dont sell ill tare it down and sell the winch amd tranny and chains and the rest can go to the bone yard.

rockwall

Sounds like a good plan, hopefully you will love the 440. There are a pile of them around here.

Maine logger88

79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Thank You Sponsors!