iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Those Nocturnal Bucks

Started by Ron Scott, September 11, 2014, 08:18:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VT_Forestry

Quote from: drobertson on October 29, 2014, 08:14:34 AM
been waiting for your posts vt, you have some dandy's out your way for sure,

Thanks!  I enjoy seeing them out on the property and looking for sheds in the spring since they aren't really hunted (no hunting on our watershed property and limited hunting on adjacent land).  This camera is hanging close to the boundary with some land that will be getting hunted this weekend  :D
Forester - Newport News Waterworks

beenthere

Was out this morning and it was "just" past nocturnal time when a buck walked by.
So far, this is what I have. (will go out on the trail in about an hour to see what is at the end of it).

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ron Scott

~Ron

drobertson

Where's beenthere's buck?  I just knew he would show us,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Ron Scott

~Ron

Ron Scott

Always after shooting time.

~Ron

drobertson

Always, but then the magic moment, when they get stupid,, hope beenthere finds it, the bolt looked like a good hit,, dark blood, but could've been the photo,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

Maybe beenthere has gone nocturnal too !!
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

Sorry, wasn't worthy of a pic. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Well they don't all gots-ta be big.   ;D

drobertson

Worthy of the freezer! 8)  that's even better in my book,  happy for you, and the season is early yet.

okmulch

Last Saturday morning. Should have went to stand instead of cutting cedars!
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

drobertson

yep, that one there is a dandy!

Weekend_Sawyer

Really nice but it looks like a broom handle is sticking out of his head?!
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Wick

I usually observed that the color of the antlers varied by the amount of sun light exposure. In other words, habitat. :-\.
I guess diet can affect it too. Maybe someone will elaborate.
Back to the subject. Those nocturnal bucks are slick. Best chance is when their in RUT.
Timber Harvester 30HT25

drobertson

I believe it is habitat.  But also the sap content of the trees they rub, maple makes a dark color on the antlers too.

clww

The few I have taken north of the border in Canada all have extremely dark antlers, one is nearly black.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Weekend_Sawyer

When you consider that it is living in an urban area in between Baltimore and Washington this is a very nice 6 point. If he makes it to next year he will probably be very nice!

I call this one Half Rack

and I call this one Other Half Rack  ::)

drobertson

Week end,  it looks like you have a nice lil fold going on there, you might as well help out on reducing the vehicle  accidents by reducing the numbers a lil ;D

Weekend_Sawyer

That is my plan  8)

I take a few with my bow out of my sliding glass door every year. Took this one in my underwear! That slider has been pretty good to me.

Magicman

We had two "half racks" similar to those.  I finally got an opportunity to take both of them out.   ;D

okmulch

I call this one 1 and a quarter. Lol.
He would have been a really nice wall hanger. Should be even better next year.
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

VT_Forestry

Little second rut action going on around here...thinking someone's gonna get an eye poked, just not sure who  :D

Forester - Newport News Waterworks

drobertson

Good pic vt,  a few years ago I got to watch an 8 point put up with a lil spiker, it was hilarious, not much of a fight though, the big one just touched the lil fellows horn and somehow the lil guy just knew better, the big guy just politely followed him out of the area :D   

Thank You Sponsors!