iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kohler RPMs

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, September 11, 2014, 08:08:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The short 3 inch spring that turns the RPMs up when I engage the blade broke today. I have the Koler 29G.
I went to the Lawn Mower shop and got a new Kohler spring......the exact one.
I installed it and the engine seems to be running at a higher rate when I engage the clutch.

Its not very much but enough I did know it right away. Could the other spring have stretched and the new one raise the RPMs from what I have been used to hearing?
I was wondering if it will hurt the engine to be running a little faster?

Thanks.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Dave Shepard

How is the rpm set on that engine? IIRC, the 24 Onan on the '93 mill the throttle would only move so far and hit a stop. I don't think ultimate rpm's should be set with spring tension alone. If it is, then a redesign is needed. ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

hamish

The spring you replaced was a governor spring.  When you say you got the exact same one............was it the exact same part number too? Or just one that was the same diameter and length?

Governor spring are engine specific and in many cases use specific.

Koler 29G doesn't exist!

How about the Kohler model and spec number?
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

customsawyer

I would like to see you running a little faster. :D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: hamish on September 11, 2014, 08:15:10 PM

Koler 29G doesn't exist!

Tell me you're kidding? I have a Kohler 29G straight from Woodmizer.
If it doesn't exist, I have the only one in the world. Its stamped right on the motor. :D

hamish

That's Woodmizer talk, not Kohler engine talk.

Command Pro (CH),Aegis (LH)?????
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

Dave Shepard

I think he means that isn't the actual model number of the engine. Can you see if there is a stop on the engine that won't allow the throttle to go past a certain point? I remember on the Onan, I could pull the cable out, and it would only rev up to the usual rpms, and no further. If that is the case with yours, then I'd say your old spring and cable were out of adjustment.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

My cable is fine. The short spring broke and I got the same, part numbered spring that goes on a Kohler.

I used to have a Kohler 28G and upgraded to a 29G.

I think I may have put one end of the spring in the wrong hole. I'll have check on that.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I reinstalled the the spring in hole number 4. If I move it down numerically will the RPMs decrease.
I forgot what hole it came out of.

Peter Drouin

Call WM and ask what hole to put it in. Then mark it ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Peter Drouin on September 11, 2014, 09:11:24 PM
Call WM and ask what hole to put it in. Then mark it ;D

Nobody would answer the phone....held the line for 35 minutes. I'll call them in the morning or go by the Kohler shop.

NMFP

Do you have or can you borrow a small engine tach?  As long as your set at 3600 rpm, you will be fine.  Is there any shiny marks at the holes or is one hole a little bigger now because of the spring wear?

A friend of mine has a bake mill with a 30 hp kohler and we turned that one up to almost 4000 rpms.  Probably not an approved thing by Kohler standards but he has almost 3000 hours if I remember correctly.

Ga Mtn Man

It's 4 holes.  How long could it take to try them all.  You've already tried one. ???
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on September 11, 2014, 09:18:00 PM
It's 4 holes.  How long could it take to try them all.  You've already tried one. ???

On I'm gonna try all of them. I just ran out of time today loading Deer Corn for customers.
To many pokes in the fire (old saying) this time of year.

Magicman

You are sawing "corn" ??   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

WDH

It is almost the same as cow corn, just a little more expensive.  Then there is horse corn.  I have heard that that (Tom) is very expensive  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Peter Drouin on September 11, 2014, 09:39:08 PM
What is Deer Corn?

Picking corn with a picker, blowing it back into a silage wagon and then bagging it up into 800 pound bags.
Customers buy it to feed the Deer during hunting season. Have to load their trucks and trailers with the backhoe.

Peter Drouin

So you all shoot deer over bait?
A&P saw Mill LLC.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Peter Drouin

Can't do that here  no_no :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Peter Drouin on September 11, 2014, 10:11:07 PM
Can't do that here  no_no :D :D

They just changed our law last year. This is our 2nd year.....I still see the same sized Bucks, corn or no corn....but I see a whole lot more Does.

Peter Drouin

And that's a good thing 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

redprospector

In New Mexico you can't hunt an area is feed has been put out less than 30 days before the season.  :o
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Thank You Sponsors!