iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

540a question

Started by Pa woodchuck, September 11, 2014, 06:22:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pa woodchuck

the 540 im running lost its steering and blade control today.Ive read this could be a plugged screen or a bad pump.  My question is is this screen accessable without pulling the transmission.   thanks

duckslayingpro

If this is setup the same way a 440A transmission. There is a triangular shaped cover that hold the sceen in i think 3 or bolts.

Maine logger88

If its anything like my 540B the cover is just too the right of the filter housing on the transmission. On mine its a small oval cover if I remember right (its been a few years) with two bolts. You need to drain the hydraulic fluid or it will all come out anyway lol and take the filter cover off too get too it
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

snowstorm

Quote from: Pa woodchuck on September 11, 2014, 06:22:35 PM
the 540 im running lost its steering and blade control today.Ive read this could be a plugged screen or a bad pump.  My question is is this screen accessable without pulling the transmission.   thanks
if the dif lock is on it will cause this. on a 440 holding the clutch in to long will cause this.

thenorthman

Could of just ran out of fluid... don't take much, and poof yer stuck in the bushes somewheres
well that didn't work

Southside

Mainelogger88 is right.  I had the same problem on my 540A, but for a while it was intermittent.  I changed filters, added fluid, could not figure it out.  Does your steering chatter on its own at all, maybe when first starting?  That was another symptom I had. 

Mine turned out to be the priority valve that directs flow to the steering, blade, and brakes.  From what I learned they all go eventually.  If you are sitting on the machine remove the cowling and look right behind the dash gauges just on the passenger side of the machine.  The valve sits right on top with 3 lines you can see running into it (memory here so it could be more) and one tiny spaghetti line that runs out of the bottom.  Its around 2" or so around and maybe 10" long overall.

Inside of the barrel is a floating piston that has a spring return and a separate needle point and a couple of shims.  The barrel gets worn and the piston grooves don't line up so oil goes to all the wrong places.  You can test the spring to make sure it is providing the correct resistance, but if that tests OK I would suspect the tolerances are just too worn, assuming that is the issue of course. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Pa woodchuck

thanks for the info guys. so Southside Logger is the priority valve rebuildable or do i need to find a new one?

Pa woodchuck

Also does anyone know what the pressure should be to the priority valve?

Southside

I gutted mine and just used the housing as a connector for the hoses.  I don't think you could rebuild it as it is basically a machined steel, spring loaded, floating, piston inside of a cylinder.  For what it is worth it is the same idea that commercial jets used to use for rudder control until a couple of 74somethings fell out of the sky (saw a special on it on Discovery Channel and knew exactly what they were talking about). 

I don't exactly remember the spring test weight but it was around 48 or 50 lbs - mine tested just fine but after removing and installing it several times to try and figure out what was going on we realized that the fluid passage grooves on the piston were worn and were causing it to shift just a bit and bind.

After gutting it the problem went away and I had no change in performance.  The down side of this is that the valve is designed to give priority to your brakes and steering in the event you are using the blade, brakes, and steer at the same time, by gutting it the priority is gone, never was an issue for me. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Pa woodchuck

Thanks Southside I really appreciate the info. Its been a crazy couple weeks. Both of my skidders are down, Two chainsaws and my truck broke down all at the same time. Starting to think if it werent for bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all.

Thank You Sponsors!