iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Planing plastic

Started by hackberry jake, September 11, 2014, 05:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

I was making a sacraficial board for my new bandsaw fence out of a piece of HDPE I had laying around. It had a previous life as a thick cutting board or something. It had cuts all over both faces of it. I cut it to width on the table saw (went smoothly) and then planed both sides of it. It worked easier than wood. I was a little afraid I was going to melt it to the knives or something.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Magicman

You just never know, but sometime the good guys win.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

That is good to know it planed well.  8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Larry

I've also planed HDPE without problems.  Sometimes it will cause a problem cutting.  Seems worse on the bandsaw and can become dangerous.  A couple of months ago I was making diaphragms for irrigation float valves with it.  To machine the diaphragm I put it on a rotary table and used a router bit in the Bridgeport.  I was melting the plastic and I had a hard brittle build up on the cutter which left a rough finish.  The solution was increasing the feed on the rotary table a lot.  After I did that no problems at all....cept for a sore crankin arm.

Lets see some pictures of the fence...I might want to copy it. :)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

hackberry jake

It isn't anything special. I will take some pictures of it this weekend.

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

ozarkgem

Quote from: Larry on September 11, 2014, 07:29:00 PM
I've also planed HDPE without problems.  Sometimes it will cause a problem cutting.  Seems worse on the bandsaw and can become dangerous.  A couple of months ago I was making diaphragms for irrigation float valves with it.  To machine the diaphragm I put it on a rotary table and used a router bit in the Bridgeport.  I was melting the plastic and I had a hard brittle build up on the cutter which left a rough finish.  The solution was increasing the feed on the rotary table a lot.  After I did that no problems at all....cept for a sore crankin arm.

Lets see some pictures of the fence...I might want to copy it. :)
A fly cutter works pretty good.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Larry

That is a good idea.  I do have a fly cutter...don't know why I didn't think to use it.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

drobertson

It machines beautifully, a sharp hss bit is pretty important, as well as cranking up the speed.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

ozarkgem

Quote from: Larry on September 13, 2014, 09:43:07 AM
That is a good idea.  I do have a fly cutter...don't know why I didn't think to use it.
In the industrial sewing business they have Clickers. Just a hydraulic press that has a big head that presses down on a shaped knife die like a shoe sole or gasket. They use a big plastic board and they planed them to get a clean surface. They basically used a fly cutter on a vertical motor to do it with.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

hackberry jake

its a carter magfence II and I just bolted a piece of hdpe to it. The hdpe cut pretty easy with a forsner bit too.

ozarkgem

how does the magfence  work? you said the plastic was sacrificial so do you push the fence into the blade to cut the wood? How does the fence slide if it is magnetic? Looks like a handy item to have. How much does one cost?

hackberry jake

It uses switchable magnets to affix it to the table. The plastic is just so you can run the fence right next to the blade if need be without worrying about messing up the aluminum fence. The fence was $100, but it comes with two of those switchable magnets which are $36 a piece so the fence is more like $30. The magnets can be removed and used in other shop jigs.

Thank You Sponsors!