iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

plants with clinging seedpods and their seasons?

Started by mrbrb, September 11, 2014, 01:14:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbrb

Hello All,
I get a great deal of entertainment out of browsing this board in particular. I am working on a little project that involves clinging seedpods- the 'Three lobe beggar ticks' in particular at the moment. At specific times of the year, I get covered with these things after walking through the woods in Connecticut. My problem is, I can't remember what that specific time of year is-  anybody have any idea when these things go to seed? Or can anybody recommend other types of clinging seed pods and their prime seasons?

Thanks and all my best!
mrbrb

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

curdog

I've been covered in Spanish Needles in October and November.  I just about had to throw away a flannel shirt last time I got into a big patch of those things. They have two barbs on the seed head and more linear shaped.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mesquite buckeye

Looks like a Bidens. Usually just 2 points though. :-\

They are an annoying part of fall and a great way to go hitchhiking. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Southside

Quote from: thecfarm on September 11, 2014, 08:48:32 PM
I have successfully ridden my land of burdock!!!

Good job cfarm!!!  I am working on it, try to walk a different way through a field every time and I can spot the things from 100' away, battling the sicklepod now - nasty plant.  The big problem down this way is palmer amaranth - basically its pig weed on a massive dose of steroids.  Roundup resistant and has no natural enemies.  We are organic so spraying is not an option so we pull, mow, cultivate, etc.  I am pretty sure the neighboring farm to the north decided to go into farming the stuff and got a few soybeans mixed into their planter from the looks of things.   The stuff it taking over the south like kudzu.  The seeds don't cling, but they are small and a single plant will have over 1,000,000 of them.  Funny how mother nature has a way.  Monsanto develops round up to kill pigweed, 30 years later mother nature turns on the fury with round up resistant pig weed...
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

enigmaT120

Quote from: Southside logger on September 11, 2014, 11:47:30 PM
Funny how mother nature has a way.  Monsanto develops round up to kill pigweed, 30 years later mother nature turns on the fury with round up resistant pig weed...

That was pretty much inevitable.  I just hope poison oak doesn't develop resistance!

Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

SwampDonkey

Water avens, from September until next spring. Beautiful flower, but seeds cling to anything.

And then there is Agrimonia , September through late fall.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

tule peak timber

Nice pics ! I would run them through the kiln , spray with some kind of varnish /acrylic/fixer .....and get them into the dried flower market.$$$$$  Cheers  Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

SwampDonkey

:D :D :D How many shares $$, I'll put you down for...?  8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sandhills

tule peak timber

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

mrbrb

THANK YOU for taking the time to share these suggestions!! ill post some pictures of this project when it is finished.

Thank You Sponsors!