iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cutting Cypress (lots of pics)

Started by Ianab, July 24, 2004, 04:42:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

Went out today to get a large Cypress dropped and ready to mill. LIL was on duty as official photographer.

As usual the tree is big, leaning, branched on one side, and growing on a hill... ::)

After having a couple of good looks at the tree and terrain, and the pieces of fence wire sticking out the butt I start cutting.

Cleaning out the knotch, as it had to be cut from both sides it wasn't quite perfect, a couple of quick cuts and it look OK

Making 2nd plunge cut to form the hinge, I've already plunged in from the other side. This is my 2nd and escape route side.
After this cut it's just a matter of releasing the holding wood and getting clear.

Thats me at the bottom right of the pic...

LIL gets on the right end of the camera for this pic... :)

A pic of the butt log, should be some nice timber in this one.

Getting into the limbing of the log...

Finally, I had some assistance with saw refueling as some of the locals arrived..... DanG wild cattle...

Hope you enjoyed our day out  :)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Fla._Deadheader

Nice job, Lan and Lil.  Always enjoy your posts and pics. Sure have good looking wood in those logs. 8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

OneWithWood

Good job, Ian.  Thanks for the excellent pics.  I am sure you will enjoy milling that stick. 8)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Timberwerks

Great pic's, I enjoying seeing action shots like that. I'd like to see pic's of the milling when they are ready.

Dale

Jeff

Ian that looks like a good solid tree! How did you come about it? Is this on your property or did someone need it removed? Nice tree. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

rebocardo

Tom

That's good looking wood.  It doesn't look like our Bald Cypress. It's seldom we get that much heartwood relative to the amount of Sapwood.

The wood looks more like our Southern Red Cedar from the pictures.  I would love to get a Bald (red) Cypress like that here.  :)

Ianab

We have a 16 ton digger visiting the site this week and he will be able to haul the log up the hill a bit to where I can mill it. I'll post some more pics later  :)
The tree was growing on my old farm, where the Ex's house burnt down a few months back. We took this one down to cut some trim and pannelling to use in the new house. There is a heap more there but they are leaning into the creek and we are going to need a bulldozer and winch to get them back out. Macrocarpa was commonly planted as hedges around NZ farms 50 -100 years ago and some of them have got pretty big by now. Some of them have got pretty ugly as well, but this one has a couple of nice logs in it.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Buzz-sawyer

lanab
So you are rebuilding the x's house for her...This makes me thinkyou are a real sport and helpful guy ;) ;)
Sounds like you must have a good post marriage relationship :)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Thank You Sponsors!