iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

OMG....headleaners...

Started by CCC4, September 10, 2014, 04:51:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CCC4

When cutting Gubment units....do you guys ever just feel like custodians of the woods at the end of the day?? Seems like if I see a headleaner, I might as well go to it, cuz it's gonna be painted like a striped smurf! I cut over 25 headleaners today...small to large...hardwood to pine...so sick of them I just can't stand it. I sweep as I cut so I am not coming back to the same area, this one unit is covered up with headleaners and they are all marked to be cut. The actual cutting of them isn't the problem, the problem is getting waaaay too complacent with them and being hot and tired. Right there is a recipe for disaster!

I will be so glad to finish my block in the next couple days! Can't wait to get off the FS job for sure! Should tally out to nearly 100 loads with almost a couple months cutting.

treeslayer2003

they are probly a result of not so careful falling on a preveous harvest.

Woodboogah

Being complacent is a killer in this industry, as you know.
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

BargeMonkey

I had 1 today, half dead and not wanting to cooperate. The forester that marked this one cheaped out on paint, and marked every junk tree around some real nice stuff, then commented about how "Timbco's make a mess".

Southside

I am back in the area that is full of them.  Low, wet ground that looks like it has gotten a lot wetter in the past several years as a lot of root balls are pulling up, just trying to figure out what to drop first is the problem.  This one is going to hit that one, which will hang on the next one, etc, etc.  Basically walk to the back and work a fall path back to the front so I can set the skidder up like a yarder and pull it all to the shelf.  Lots of fun. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

LeeB

At the risk of sounding stupid, yet not wanting to remain ignorant (they aren't the same thing), could someone tell me what a headleaner is.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Raider Bill

Quote from: LeeB on September 11, 2014, 12:08:52 PM
At the risk of sounding stupid, yet not wanting to remain ignorant (they aren't the same thing), could someone tell me what a headleaner is.

Me too ;)
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

CCC4

Well my Arkansas brotherin....no question is stupid if you are trying to figure something out! A headleaner is a tree that is bowed, arched, or carrying all it's top weight to one side and carrying everything off center of it's main stem. A lot of timber can be weighted off center but normally I call a headleaner when it is also bowed. Hope this helps.

CCC4

Quote from: treeslayer2003 on September 10, 2014, 06:03:49 PM
they are probly a result of not so careful falling on a preveous harvest.

Mike, these last couple units are wild sets and haven't been cut through...zero stumpage. I think it's due to being too crowded, the Ash has really suffered struggling for canopy space on this last unit...bowed and twisted to beat Hell. This kind of a weird unit, there are mature oaks and maybe 10% pine over 30" but the rest is nominal sized timber...I'm guessing pre 1900's cotton or strawberry's...those were the main stay crops up in the hills around those times. Hope all is well mang! Stay safe!

Stephen Alford

Here dealing with trees that grow and lean towards the farm field is pretty common.   Goal is to keep it from falling into the field while the crop is still in.   The tree pusher (inspired by you lads) has really proved to be an asset and so much safer.   After reading this post this am , got out to take a pic of this rascal today.  When I went to take the pic I noticed "Hotel Hornet" up in the crown.  The pic does not do it justice it was huge.  Did the "Ram and Scram" but will not be back for it for awhile.  :D

logon

LeeB

Mike, these last couple units are wild sets and haven't been cut through...zero stumpage. I think it's due to being too crowded, the Ash has really suffered struggling for canopy space on this last unit...bowed and twisted to beat Hell. This kind of a weird unit, there are mature oaks and maybe 10% pine over 30" but the rest is nominal sized timber...I'm guessing pre 1900's cotton or strawberry's...those were the main stay crops up in the hills around those times. Hope all is well mang! Stay safe!
[/quote]

The big ice storm we had a few years back left a lot of my trees as headleaners. Do you think this might be what happened where you are?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

CCC4

Yes Sir, the ice storm of '09 hit here really bad also! What dreadful memories they were. As far as the timber damage...National Forest Service claimed a loss of 35% of their timber, in some areas I have seen worse, entire valleys jack strawed and ruined! As far as what I see on a daily basis, after 4 years of tops falling out and wind shook limbs...I really don't see so  much damage. The ERC here shows more than the oaks....some pine is missing their tops but that is about all I notice. The small timber that did not break off initially and was bowed to the ground, stood up for the most part. So I cannot put the large number of headleaners I am seeing to being caused by the ice. Excellent theory though! I am going to stick with my guns and blame it on not being thinned years ago and over crowding has caused competition for canopy space causing bowed and twisted timber.

Southside

Your timber there sounds a lot like what I am in now.  The ash is twisted and contorted to the point where it is hard to get an 8' log out of most of it.  The maple just sweeps like a big bow.  There is an old drainage ditch along this area that must have been hand dug and from talking to locals quite possibly slave dug, 40" poplar right smack in the middle of it as an example.  I followed the brook for quite a way and there is a big area of blow downs that have altered the flow for probably 20 years now which I think explains how the maple got as big and heavy as it is without toppling over before now as plenty of them are pulling up today.  I suspect mother nature will run me out of this at some point and I will get to return to the fun again next summer. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: CCC4 on September 11, 2014, 03:41:03 PM

Well my Arkansas brotherin....no question is stupid if you are trying to figure something out! A headleaner is a tree that is bowed, arched, or carrying all it's top weight to one side and carrying everything off center of it's main stem. A lot of timber can be weighted off center but normally I call a headleaner when it is also bowed. Hope this helps.

They also like to barber chair if you are not careful. :( :o :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Thank You Sponsors!