iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blade selection question

Started by AnthonyW, September 09, 2014, 10:09:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnthonyW

I haven't had time to use the mill much this summer, but now have three millings to do. I'm a little rusty on blade selection and I expect to run out before I finish these jobs and need to order more.

Question for those who saw eastern white pine, what angle tooth are you using?

The WM website lists 4, 7, 9 ,and 10 degree bands. Which is more aggressive the 4 or the 10 degree?

P.S. I just reached the 1k mark. 99k more to go. (to enter the 100kbdft club)
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The 4 is more aggressive in IMO...but on all Pine, I run the 10 degree. If the Pine is real knotty...I have used the 7 degree.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

I guess that it depends upon your definition of aggressive.  Since the 4° is straighter it does more scraping and the 10° does more cutting.  The 4° will not dig into the wood as easily as a 10°

Think of it as degrees of angle away from 90°.  The teeth on a 4° blade are slanted 4° from 90° which makes them 86°, and on a 10° blade they are at an 80° angle.  The 10° blade has the sharpest cutting angle.  smiley_dizzy
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

I saw mostly Eastern White Pine, and I've always had good performance using 10° blades, 1¼x.045.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

terrifictimbersllc

Recently I use 7 degree mostly occasionally 10 degree and have good performance.  Both come set at about 25 thousandths. On resharpening I set at 28-30 thousandths which do better in wider pine boards say 12-24" and better overall for pine.   I have used sharp 9's on smaller pine logs before but there's less performance range than with 7's and the blades with more set (have to pull the 9 sooner and don't count on cutting anything wide flat).   I have seen a still-sharp 4 degree band which just made remarkable wide cuts in white oak, give a wavy cut on the next pine log so I don't think of using a 4 for pine.  Ability to use highly set 7's I suppose is going to depend on how much power one has, my mill is 42HP diesel.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

NMFP

A general purpose band is one that can cut all species.  Therefore, as I have said before, stick to either 4 or 7 degree and you will be fine.  If you can cut all of your very difficult woods with a 7 degree band, then it will work on easy to saw woods.

Had numerous customers just a few years ago that had 4,7 & 10 degree bands but now either all run 4 degree or 7 degree exclusively, depending on where they are located. 

All bands will do the job, however, their efficiency is greatly diminished based upon time, fatigue and abrasion.

If you stick to one hook angle, it makes sharpening and knowing what you have available much simpler.

drobertson

I don't remember the hp your mill has, but have to agree with the statement made as to keeping one hook angle.  I also agree that the
7 degree blades are just a great all around blade which ever make you decide on.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Beavertooth

The 7's are the best all around blade I have found. I have used them all and run nothing but 7's now. The 4's will cut good but you will not get anywhere near the speed you can cut with a 7. I really don't know exactly what the minimum  HP you need to be able to cut with the 7's as they do have a lot deeper gullet. I have the 62cat on my LT70  so I never have had to worry about it so I can't say from experience. The thing about the 7 is you can cut a pine one minute and a hard hickory the next and not have to change blades and it will do great on both of them.
2007 LT70 Remote Station 62hp cat.

NMFP

I have numerous customers running lt15 mills that are running 7 degree bands... no problem at all.  This is where I greatly disagree with most bandsaw manufacturers.  In all honesty, I have tested different hook angles and different engine sizes and found the exact opposite from what they say.  I have found that the lower hp mills are actually doing better with lower hook angles due to the scraping action rather than piercing action of say 10-13 degree.

Bruno of NH

My thomas 8013 mill with 13hp honda cuts much better in pine and hemlock with 7 degree bands .
Jim  Bruno of NH
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

bandmiller2

Jeez I'll sound like a parrot but I've settled on 7 or 8 degrees. 10 degree are fine but I believe they have more of a tendency cut wavy around knots. I also hear the 10's feed a little easier if you have to push the saw through the log. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

AnthonyW

I had been running 10 degree bands but when I went to check out pricing on the blades (one of my jobs is reimbursing me for blades), the WM blade selector showed me 9, 7, and 4 degree options. So I thought I would ask actually users.

I have an LT28 with the 15HP Kohler. As I have gotten better at using the mill I have started to experience some bogging causing me to really watch and control the feed rate. Between the soft white pine, hard pine knots, current blade life, and the engine bogging, I have started to question my initial blade choice. I am still working through my first boxes of blades. In preparation for ordering box number two, I thought I would check with the experts on what I should try next. I'm thinking trying a box of 7 degree next.

barbender

I've settled on 7s myself, they work good on everything I cut.
Too many irons in the fire

YellowHammer

I couldn't ever settle on either 9° or 7° (I always used both) so now I sharpen my WM 9° to 8°  ;D  and they work as good as anything I've used.   
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

bandmiller2

The key is SHARP and correctly set, exact angle is of minor importance. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Dave Shepard

I run 10° for white pine. In the winter I use 4°. I've talked to WM a couple times about switching to 7° but they never convinced me. I like the idea of running just one band, especially if it is aggressive and fast.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

NMFP

I settle on one band and find one band does everything. 

For comparison, large mills use one hook angle to cut all species, noit have numerous different hook angles for different species.  When you buy a chainsaw chain, you can use it on all species, not have to change for different species.

A lower hook angle works well with just about all hp machines I have found, however there are instances where its not as good but those are very far and few between.

As I have said before and will say again, I think the industry has accepted 10 degree as a universal band but in reality, we have used too high of hook angle for too many years.  A universal band is one where we can cut everything with one single band profile.

AnthonyW

Any comments on blade thickness? 45, 42, 35?

NMFP

The thinner the band, the more deflection you will have resulting in thick and thin lumber.  The thicker a band, the more true your lumber will be.

On the flip side, the thinner the band, the ductile the steel is and allows for more flexing, typically resulting in long run times and extreme longevity.  The thicker the band, the less flexibility you have and will actually work harden faster than a thin saw.

What are you sawing as far as species?

Dave Shepard

We ran .045" on the LT40 manual mill. They worked well on everything we sawed from pine to locust. Thinner gives better flex life. On my Super with the 51 hp CAT, I run .055". I'm only interested in cut quality and speed. We would go 10 sharpenings or more with the thin bands and maybe 4-5 on the thick ones.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

AnthonyW

Quote from: NMFP on September 15, 2014, 09:28:58 PM
The thinner the band, the more deflection you will have resulting in thick and thin lumber.  The thicker a band, the more true your lumber will be.

On the flip side, the thinner the band, the ductile the steel is and allows for more flexing, typically resulting in long run times and extreme longevity.  The thicker the band, the less flexibility you have and will actually work harden faster than a thin saw.

What are you sawing as far as species?

Lots of Eastern White Pine. I wish I had thought to ask this question before I purchased a new box of blades. I might have tried an 42 to see if I picked up any blade life. Good engineer practice is to change one variable at a time. I have already changed from 10 to 7 degree, so maybe the next box will be 4  :) :)2. I'll decide on 7 or 10 when I see how this box runs.

Thank You Sponsors!