iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Mill

Started by mcarthur, September 09, 2014, 04:16:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcarthur

Good day,
We picked up our new mill, LT15Go last week and are getting ready to mill some timbers and boards for a new storage shed. 
I have used this site extensively to gather information about our Mill before purchase.  All the questions I had regarding the mill and info on milling itself were answered with a quick search. 
Any key advice for a beginner sawyer would be well appreciated. 
H.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, mcarthur.  Yup, try to avoid sawing your sawmill.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, mcarthur, and congratulations on the new mill!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

drobertson

make dust, make mistakes, and make boards, pretty much covers It for now.  There are no magic wands, just hot in the summer, and cold in the winter, with lots of debris in between.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

thecfarm

mcarthur,welcome to the forum. Advice,just keep it fun.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ga Mtn Man

When getting the mill dialed in it isn't always necessary to cut "real" boards.  A few ΒΌ" thick boards will tell you how it's cutting without wasting a lot of good lumber.

Congrats on the new mill.  Take lots of pics, learn to post them and keep us entertained. :)
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

GAB

Start with the worst log you have with the intention of making stickers.
If it does not work out so good then you can call it kindling.
Welcome and enjoy.  Hope your learning curve is not too large or too long.
Keep an eye on the log stops as they like to pop up or so it seems, especially when sawing 2 x's.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Compensation

Welcome Mcarthur! What took you so long to join? Get in here and ask questions. :)
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

WDH

You will like that mill. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

YellowHammer

Congratulations on the mill.  The best advice I can give is always get into the habit of setting your clamps lower then the backstops.  So if you clear the backstops on the visible side the log, you will never saw into a clamp onto the hidden side.  Also, change your bands when you "think" they are getting dull as opposed to waiting until you "know" they are dull.  Continuing to saw with a dull blade is counterproductive, as it damages the blade, is harder to feed, and results in lower quality lumber.
Have a good time sawing
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

SawyerBrown

Welcome, mcarthur!  Just keep it fun, enjoy the moment when you're cutting those logs, appreciate the beautiful grain in the wood, take a deep whiff of fresh sawdust, "ooh" and "aah" a lot, even if it's just to yourself!

Or did you mean "helpful" advice?   :D
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

slider

Start sawing by yourself,no onlookers ,it's much easier to look foolish alone than with a crowd .Ask me how I know.Good luck and welcome.Al
al glenn

21incher

Welcome to the forum mcarthur. The only thing I recommend to start milling is a logrite cant hook. Once you turn a round into a square it gets tough to turn. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

mad murdock

Welcome mcarthur, and congratulations on the mill. Get a peavy, can't hook or both :) Logrite is the place to visit for more leverage ;) (they are on the left side of the page near the top)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

kczbest

Welcome to the Forestry Forum mcarthur.
Hail State!
2013 F150 Supercrew 4x4
John Deere 5303 4x4 with FEL
Cook's MP 32
Cat 289C with Bradco MM60 Forestry Mulcher Head

JP135

Great mill!

Watch out for your log stops. Watch for nails. Read the posts on here - lots of wisdom, advice and experience.

dgdrls

Read the manual and check/perform the alignment before you start cutting wood.
Oh, band blades are sharp use gloves.
Pictures for us too ;)
Best
DGDrls

123maxbars

Have a good sharp axe handy, my best tool with my sawmill,
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

beamero

2014 Wood Mizer LT40HD
Frick Circular Mill
Ford 555C
Massey 275; 202
Cat D4C XL
Cat 420D IT

mcarthur

Thanks for the positive response! I will definitely post some in action pictures soon.

Hugh

beenthere

Hugh
Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

How about those action pics you mentioned? 

And...
how about filling out your Bio in your profile to general location... not sure where or within what country you hail from. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!