iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

anyone know about franklin winches

Started by diesel23ca, September 09, 2014, 01:47:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

diesel23ca

i'm buying a 170 franklin its got tj's 12 bolt front and rears a 353 and a sweed/franklin 30 winch its been sitting for 4 years and i imagine the winch is gonna be trouble ..and haven't been able to find any info on these types of winches at all
it is what it is

smwwoody

once you get it let me know I can help you with most any problem you could have with it
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

diesel23ca

@smwwoody that is awesome!!!!!! i made the deal tonight ..its my late uncles and they are letting me make a few payments ...my cousin told me one of the cables is siezed and the cable for the turbo shut off is as well ...my uncle had just put a new turbo on it and let it sit for a couple years now
it is what it is

treeslayer2003

Quote from: diesel23ca on September 09, 2014, 10:16:48 PM
@smwwoody that is awesome!!!!!! i made the deal tonight ..its my late uncles and they are letting me make a few payments ...my cousin told me one of the cables is siezed and the cable for the turbo shut off is as well ...my uncle had just put a new turbo on it and let it sit for a couple years now
turbo shutoff?????you must mean the emergency stop cable. those winches are pretty tough.

diesel23ca

yeah its a flapper or butterfly that stops the air in case of a runaway problem i think i'll post pics when its in my yard
it is what it is

lynde37avery

Detroit WHAT?

diesel23ca

thanks @lynde37avery  i think its a well built clan to be in
it is what it is

diesel23ca

they say sweed/franklin winches are fairly simple...cable operated ..does the cables move the clutches and brake bands or do they move a hydraulic control valve?? i didn't see any lines going to the winch accept the 2 cables but i haven't looked at it that hard...i know the skidder very well ..my uncle kept it up and worked it easy..he just put a new blower on it ..he said it was a cadilac compared to his old gas tree farmer ..

i know the skidder must have been pretty tough i was his mechanic in a way..rebuilt his saws and fixed his pickup trucks..did allot of welding for him too ...and i never once had to work on the skidder...
it is what it is

treeslayer2003

no hydrualics to um. if i am remembering right, they have a dog and cog set up so i don't think it has a brake band.........i could be wrong. smwwoody will be along shortly.

smwwoody

i spouted off too soon  i dont know much about the cable controlled ones.  i have spent a lot of time inside the hydraulic ones.  sorry i may not be of much help to you
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

lynde37avery

Mine is sweet franklin. It has a band on it. Super easy to adjust.
Detroit WHAT?

diesel23ca

@lynde37avery and @smwwoody are the franklin or sweed winches?? I see some with gearomatic ones
it is what it is

lynde37avery

If it's sweed there's a big S on on the wet side.
Detroit WHAT?

diesel23ca

this is what i used to work with in the woods...it had a gearomatic off a 1010c crawler ..it never ever released held or winched right ..always hit and miss..i rebuilt it had it machined but that control valve that ran off of break fluid i think ruined everything...no power stearing on that thing either ..a straight six out of a nova sitting right beside ya right in the cab... https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/1236746_10152076844263579_893290408_n.jpg?oh=cc3f8c9288853bdb9275af8ef9639a43&oe=548BAF57&__gda__=1419539213_521921dfceec6f6334f93b982c5d3b99
it is what it is

diesel23ca

@lynde37avery  @smwwoody @treeslayer i bought her ..i think its a 130 franklin not sure ..its got a 353..its only plowed driveways for a decade and looks like its gonna need a inframe kit in it ..middle cylinder will not clear up its only hitting on 2 i took the manifold right off and air filter to hold it half throttle for a  bit and it just never came back to life...you can't even stand next to it . the more ya run it the more it drips smokey diesel out of it ....my neighbor is a diesel mechanic and he's checked it over... i'm going to switch injectors with good running cylinder and the bad one to see if that helps or see if it is a bad injector..if it isn't wheres the best place to get an inframe kit ...holds 20 pounds oil pressure at lowest of idle...almost stalling as it surges up and down

it is what it is

thecfarm

Looks good. Looks like it has plowed snow. That all banged up from the woods.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

diesel23ca

Quote from: thecfarm on September 24, 2014, 05:18:25 AM
Looks good. Looks like it has plowed snow. That all banged up from the woods.
i didn't get the plow with it ..they kept that for something else...he used to cut private lots some of them were 20 klicks in so he's plowed allot of woods roads with it ..in its day..he bought this back in 94 i think so its been in the family for years
it is what it is

treeslayer2003

looks like a 132xl, more pics would help. check the exhuast, if water gets in you could have a bent conecting rod.........this will cause low compression on the middle cylinder and a miss. rebuilding them is easy but it needs to be tuned right by a man that knows detroit.......they are not like any other engine.

lynde37avery

Detroit WHAT?

diesel23ca

@lynde37avery  @treeslayer2003 i know just the mechanic for tuning it ..he said i could just put an inframe kit in it .. agkits is about the cheepest i found and what is yours treeslayer ? i really don't think there could be any water in the exhaust..the shape it is in now anyway ..seems to but allot of work went into keeping the water out of it anyway ..i'll check the rod for sure tho
it is what it is

diesel23ca

@lynde37avery  oh and where do you get the cables for for the winch leavers ..or have you had that problem yet hahaha
it is what it is

treeslayer2003

Quote from: diesel23ca on September 24, 2014, 07:15:55 PM
@lynde37avery  @treeslayer2003 i know just the mechanic for tuning it ..he said i could just put an inframe kit in it .. agkits is about the cheepest i found and what is yours treeslayer ? i really don't think there could be any water in the exhaust..the shape it is in now anyway ..seems to but allot of work went into keeping the water out of it anyway ..i'll check the rod for sure tho
we had a 132xl and several 170s years ago, i don't have a franklin now.......2 clarks an international and a deere. all skidders pull trees........every one develops a preferance after a while.
just thought i'd throw that out there about the rod.........i seen alot of hacked up exhaust let rain water in and ruin engines. it is worth measureing when you get it apart.
those cables you should be able to get at a hydrualic shop or industrial supply house......take you old ones with you.

lynde37avery

winch cable levers were new when i got mine so i dont know. maybe Harolds logging in Maine?
as far as the 353 injector issue i couldnt help ya on that. ive never run into detroit problems yet.
but i can tell ya all about planetaries and axle stuff.
Detroit WHAT?

diesel23ca

Quote from: lynde37avery on September 24, 2014, 08:39:05 PM
winch cable levers were new when i got mine so i dont know. maybe Harolds logging in Maine?
as far as the 353 injector issue i couldnt help ya on that. ive never run into detroit problems yet.
i think as far as the cables go...i got some spare control valves from a backhoe i think i'll have them run with little fisher plow cylinders or something like that if i can't find cables..i'll look that harolds place up ..i'm in nb i get all my parts shipped to my uncles in maine and bring them accross myself..can't get much in canada for a good price ..i got some spare planetary parts ..hope i never learn anymore then that ..need to get as much work done before winter as possible..we've had record snow here for the last few years its been hell ..divorce rate went up every spring haha
it is what it is

treeslayer2003

out board planetarys are easy to work on.
the cables arent special, just take the old ones to get the right length and size.

loggah

Check your exhaust manifold ,and make sure the ports aren't plugged with carbon,that will  raise all kinds of problems also. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

luvmexfood

Quote from: diesel23ca on September 25, 2014, 06:28:55 PM
i think as far as the cables go...i got some spare control valves from a backhoe i think i'll have them run with little fisher plow cylinders or something like that if i can't find cables..i'll look that harolds place up ..i'm in nb i get all my parts shipped to my uncles in maine and bring them accross myself..can't get much in canada for a good price ..i got some spare planetary parts ..hope i never learn anymore then that ..need to get as much work done before winter as possible..we've had record snow here for the last few years its been hell ..divorce rate went up every spring haha

As far as telling how bad the previous winter was in an area I use this as a rule of thumb. Go out in say June and the more pregnant women you see the worse the winter was. Ha.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

diesel23ca

Quote from: treeslayer2003 on September 25, 2014, 06:45:04 PM
out board planetarys are easy to work on.
the cables arent special, just take the old ones to get the right length and size.
Quote from: luvmexfood on September 27, 2014, 10:35:59 AM
Quote from: diesel23ca on September 25, 2014, 06:28:55 PM

As far as telling how bad the previous winter was in an area I use this as a rule of thumb. Go out in say June and the more pregnant women you see the worse the winter was. Ha.
yip i took the manifold right off to see wich one wasn't burning the fuel..its the middle ..it was oily on the manifold but not much carbon...the ports on the other hand ..the one that smokes the least has the most carbon...i'd say someone drove er too easy and some carbon scored the rings piston or sleeve ..my buddies going to do the heads and help me set the rack and governor ..i'll put the sleeves bearings and gaskets in...if i ever find  a good day and the time to tear it down...i think ag kits looks the most reasonable for parts ..pregnancy rate stays the same here year round ..illegitimate rates vary according to the snowfall 
it is what it is

diesel23ca

started up and drove it into the garage tonight .dropped the pan and drained the preston...preston was full.. main bearings had zero wear and the rod bearings were the same...but this is how bad its smoking ..didn't have time to take the head off ..ag kits says its 21:1 for a non turbo 353 with N injectors ..mine are n45's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHkRs0En780&feature=youtu.be
it is what it is

diesel23ca

@treeslayer you were bang on right...bent rod..broke the bottom of the sleeve...ordered a kit i guess i'll have spare sleeves if i ever need them..now i got to find a rod..funny thing is the rod bearings and crank bearings are not worn even a little bit anyone know of rods close to northern maine ..? or northern nb canada
it is what it is

treeslayer2003

Quote from: diesel23ca on October 06, 2014, 07:24:34 PM
@treeslayer you were bang on right...bent rod..broke the bottom of the sleeve...ordered a kit i guess i'll have spare sleeves if i ever need them..now i got to find a rod..funny thing is the rod bearings and crank bearings are not worn even a little bit anyone know of rods close to northern maine ..? or northern nb canada
she got water in her bro, seen it a half dozen times. you need to go over the exhuast to make sure that don't happen again.......think shingles and flashing, water must shed and not go in the pipe.

detroits rarely wear bearings, prolly nuthin wrong with um.

Maine logger88

Why would they wear bearings with all that fresh oil being constantly added lol lol lol
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

diesel23ca

@treeslayer2003 yeah they say sometimes the caps get loose and fall off but it doesn't throw a rod cause of the pressure on the the top of the bearing...hope that ice didn't bend my valves..i noticed that it had a brand new pipe on it when i bought it ..a brand new one is a sign of one that was rusted apart ..i'll tilt the muffler box for sure ..hopefully it won't sit long enough to freeze anything tho haha..that flexible pipe is not the most trustworthy stuff..i'm a really good welder ..i bet i could fashion up a good solid one ..thanks for the tip but *DanG i wish you weren't right hahaha ..still looking for a local rod well maine or nb or even mass
it is what it is

BHC

when i had my 132 i got Franklin parts from the Oliver stores in Farmington maine, they had about everything there knew what you needed by looking at the part and knowing the machine size. Never had much luck with them in Bangor though they wanted serial numbers on everything and still could not come up with parts. It been a while 9 years since i had the Franklin, so not sure if the Oliver store is still in Farmington or not, some might know on here. This is for the control cable for the winch, and my biggest issue was the big O rings on the planetary always leaking, and needing to be replaced.
84 C5D Tree Farmer, 78 S8 International, Thompson Band Mill, M14 Foyley Belsaw

diesel23ca

Quote from: BHC on October 07, 2014, 08:20:33 PM
when i had my 132 i got Franklin parts from the Oliver stores in Farmington maine, they had about everything there knew what you needed by looking at the part and knowing the machine size. Never had much luck with them in Bangor though they wanted serial numbers on everything and still could not come up with parts. It been a while 9 years since i had the Franklin, so not sure if the Oliver store is still in Farmington or not, some might know on here. This is for the control cable for the winch, and my biggest issue was the big O rings on the planetary always leaking, and needing to be replaced.
i think i'm just going to fashion something up myself for the cable or even get one from cable craft off ebay maybe...i think all my planetarys have been replaced with tj parts ..some of the end caps in the middle of the rim say franklin some say timberjack..hope i dont' get into them..i notice my pinion seal is a little wet but ..i'll just keep an eye on it ...found a connecting rod so the main thing is to get it running again and hopping for no bent valves...but if someone knows where ican get that cable easier that would be awesome...thanks everyone..you guys are all helpful keep em coming
it is what it is

thecfarm

BHC,Anderson bought the Olivers stores about a year ago?? But I would expect the same phone numbers and help are still in use.  :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

diesel23ca

well it sure is going slow..got my pistons loaded in the sleaves by my diesel mechanic neighbor...just waiting on a valve that needs replacing (neighbor does heads too)..it need 5 valves but i found some in my spare parts that he said was in great condition..he said every once in a while you come accross a head that has a valve thats about to let go...sometimes its just one but he knows his stuff..just waiting for the valve then the head to be put together so i can do it all in one dry day...we found stuck rings on cylinder 1 bent rod cracked sleeve on number 2 ...worn rings on number 3.. and 5 bad valves...surprised it pulled itself..i will be building a pipe up to the muffler instead of that flexible stuff..i'll make the last foot of the pipe be flexible with some tin over top so it can't get any water into again.....
  completely off topic...i found out i'm' going to be a dad ...we've been trying for 3 years and i'm some excited to take my little one with me in the skidder and show him how men make their honest living ..maybe he'll be one of the very few thats not staring at his phone when he's  a teenager god bless ya's all i'll post some pics and or vids of the rebuild
it is what it is

thecfarm

diesel23ca

thanks everyone ..god wasn't in it tho ...we lost the baby at christmas ..skidder is running good tho..learned how to run the rack and set the governor ...thanks
it is what it is

beenthere

Sorry to hear the bad news for being a Dad. Hope that works out for you soon.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

Maine logger88

79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

BargeMonkey

I'm sorry to hear it, and I've been in the same exact spot, keep her happy and try again.

diesel23ca

thanks for your kind words ..good news tho we were pregnant and now i'm the proudest dad of a baby girl  named ella who is 4months old..happy and healthy ...hopefully starting a new spot cutting in a week or so
it is what it is

Thank You Sponsors!