iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cobalt to the rescue!

Started by FarmingSawyer, September 08, 2014, 05:17:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Trees don't grow up from the bottom, and hardware does not move up.  Trees don't forget, but people do. :)  Do you really think that your mom or dad would put a clothesline up only 4 or 5 ft off the ground at the tree? That puts the laundry hanging half in the dirt.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

POSTON WIDEHEAD

We have a huge White Oak where the surveyor put a railroad spike in it years ago toward the bottom. He used it as a bench mark for elevation.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

barbender

Hmm...scratching my head here a bit. Another example, I put a ladder stand on a burr oak 15 years ago. The seat was level when I put it up, now it tips forward so far that you can barely stay on the seat. Now I'm wondering if it is the legs of the stand slowly turning back into dirt giving me the impression that the trunk is getting taller. This is messing with my world- kind of like when I found out at about age 6 that June 24th is my birth day,  not my  Burtday (my name is Burt). It made sense that it was called Burt day, I got presents, had a party, it was all about Burt all day long. Made sense to me ;D I just couldn't figure out why sister Aimee had a Burt day too. Why wasn't her's Aimee day? ::)
Too many irons in the fire

Ludo

Barbender, thanks for the great laugh! :D :D :D

highleadtimber16

I'm glad my trees are grown far away from people!
2011 Wood-Mizer LT 40 hyd w/ 12' Extension,
EG 200 Wood-Mizer
Cutting Old Growth Cedar from Queen Charlotte Islands.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: barbender on September 13, 2014, 06:08:21 PM
Hmm...scratching my head here a bit. Another example, I put a ladder stand on a burr oak 15 years ago. The seat was level when I put it up, now it tips forward so far that you can barely stay on the seat. Now I'm wondering if it is the legs of the stand slowly turning back into dirt giving me the impression that the trunk is getting taller. This is messing with my world- kind of like when I found out at about age 6 that June 24th is my birth day,  not my  Burtday (my name is Burt). It made sense that it was called Burt day, I got presents, had a party, it was all about Burt all day long. Made sense to me ;D I just couldn't figure out why sister Aimee had a Burt day too. Why wasn't her's Aimee day? ::)

Burt,

Your BurtDay is the day before my HerbDay!!!

Herb

barbender

I still have quite a few people wish me a happy Burtday. Glad it was good for a chuckle.

Compensation

.45 auto in red oak. Wish i would have had a better cut with it.

Same log just a little deeper.
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

FarmingSawyer

Yesterday I spent some time on my woodlot making firewood..... I've had a stack of downed trees needing some sort of purpose....Mostly red maple. I hauled 2 out to the firewood processing area and was debating saving the butt logs to mill...they were beautiful.....straight grained and clear for 12ft. Both would have scaled between 200--300bf each. I started bucking from the top debating if I was going to save the butts. Finally I figured I have so much other wood for milling, I'd just make these into firewood....I like to be warm in January......

Boy am I glad I did! While I was splitting wood from the bottom 4 feet of each of these two butts I found fence wires and nails. Both of these trees were from different parts of the forest. Both weren't anywhere there has been anyone farming since the mid-40's.  Looks to me like somewhere in the late 40's someone went and cut the wire from the trees to get rid of it. Each wire was about 5" long. I never would have suspected these trees for any let alone 5 strands of wire in em. Ya never can tell......

And boy that wood split up nice....almost a shame to waste the patterns in the log, but my blade budget is thankful!
Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

Magicman

Happy Birthday, FarmingSawyer.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

barbender

Mill_Control

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on September 12, 2014, 09:05:50 PM
Small nails, BIG nails, barbed wire, fence wire, screw eyes, lag bolts, files, saws, aircraft cable, bricks, BICYCLES!?!?!, musket balls, jacketed bullets, ceramic insulators, railroad spikes, rocks, axe heads, iron pipe, expired squirrels  :o,

You forgot snakes. We've had a few that made it as far as the headrigs in cold weather.

Magicman

Hello Mill_Control, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

FarmingSawyer

FarmingSawyer

Quote from: Mill_Control on September 14, 2014, 10:17:11 PM
Quote from: Delawhere Jack on September 12, 2014, 09:05:50 PM
Small nails, BIG nails, barbed wire, fence wire, screw eyes, lag bolts, files, saws, aircraft cable, bricks, BICYCLES!?!?!, musket balls, jacketed bullets, ceramic insulators, railroad spikes, rocks, axe heads, iron pipe, expired squirrels  :o,

You forgot snakes. We've had a few that made it as far as the headrigs in cold weather.

Bees....you forgot bees! Years ago we were sawing a HUGE Western Red Ceder and as the last cut came off before down turning to square the cant, a million yellowjackets started coming out of the kerf.....by the time the slab hit the rolls there was quite a swarm and the sawyer and I were diving for his truck.

I was reminded of this the other day when I was sawing up an ash. I knew it has a rotten core on the butt end, but it was pretty clear so I was full taper sawing it. I has just finished sawing the last of the good boards and was turning the cant to see if there was anything else I could get out of it, when a chunk of the heart broke out exposing a sizable hornets nest..... I got into the cab of the tractor, picked up the cant and tossed it far, far away.....

grweldon

When my Dad died several years ago I inherited his .45 ACP.  I had just purchased my property and there was a 6" diameter oak near where I was building my house.  I used it for target practice.  The tree is now over 12" at the butt swell and will need to come down sometime in the future because it's in the way.  I'll HAVE to saw it.  Can't remember how many slugs I put in to it!  ;D
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Jeff

If you can slice through it where there are lots of slugs, it would sure make an interesting bench if you were to urethane them in.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Compensation

Quote from: grweldon on September 17, 2014, 07:50:14 AM
When my Dad died several years ago I inherited his .45 ACP.  I had just purchased my property and there was a 6" diameter oak near where I was building my house.  I used it for target practice.  The tree is now over 12" at the butt swell and will need to come down sometime in the future because it's in the way.  I'll HAVE to saw it.  Can't remember how many slugs I put in to it!  ;D

It would make a great coffee table top. They saw up nicely, mine was on the edge and a few inches in with a brand new blade. Didn't even know I hit anything. The only bummer is they pop out while drying. Nothing a dremel and little epoxy can't fix.
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

Thank You Sponsors!