iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

It Ain't Fun or Games Until You're Costing Yourself Money

Started by SliverPicker, September 08, 2014, 04:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SliverPicker

A little taste of the action from two weeks ago.....

Taking the Crummy for a Walk

Positive battery terminal came loose from the battery.  I was stranded in the woods for three days due to this little problem.  No big deal except the Timbco needed parts from town which was 26 miles away.  I walked the crummy a full mile like this.  The rear bumper and rear passenger's 1/4 panel ended up looking like an accordion when I was done.  The damage happened in the last 20 feet of the move, of course.

A close up of the action.  Hint: never go to a job without jumper cables.

The Latest Yoga Pose.

What could happen?

Piece of Pie!

At the time of the flat on the Tree Farmer I also had 4 other flats.  Three! on the job trailer and one on the front of the crummy.

Pretzel Logic.

$400 out the window.....

Matchsticks in the Rain

Other than the puny, half rotten sticks everything had been going pretty good until the 30 year old 18.4 X 34 went flat.....

Way too much excitement for two days if you ask me, but it could have been a whole lot worse. :D

Yooper by trade.

mad murdock

That looks like more fun than one guy can handle!!! Good to see you didn't lose your sense of humor along that road. I bet that made for a looooong week ::)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

treeslayer2003

dang picker, i thought i was the only one with luck like that..........

i used to push my old 4x2 out on the road like that lol

400? dam they are high. i have twisted dozens on the bell, around 110 each for crappy oregon.

flats, well yea we all know they comin but hate it when they do. i can break the bead with the bell or loader, you prolly can with that. that skinny tire should be easy with long irons.

SliverPicker

That is one used up tire it is so soft by now I didn't think fixing it on the landing would be that big a deal.  I was going to borrow some tire irons, but got talked out of fixing the flat myself.

That 42" bar is $399.99 plus shipping.  Kind of stupid using a 42" bar for 8" trees.  When the mind is weak the wallet suffers.

Two weeks later that tire is still at the shop.  The mill hasn't paid me in over month and I don't have the cashola to pay for the repair. >:(
Yooper by trade.

BargeMonkey

Its not the big trees that usually get a bar, its the ones just small enough for the head to not grab, I feel your pain, I did one on a small ash a few weeks ago. Ive had pretty good luck pressing them out, unless you get a tip. Yeah sometimes you cant win, today was one of those days for me too.

SliverPicker

That bar is cracked in about 15 places.  It was a 5" cull tree.  I should have just shoved it over like I did with the 200 before it.  The bar wasn't retracted all the way.  I thought it was.  The bar is the same color as the head.  I am going to paint the rest of my bars blaze orange.
Yooper by trade.

treeslayer2003

i screw up bars in holly thickets.......gotta go thru here, ill pull it up, nope can't have to cut it......dang it.
same thing i think its back but its not. cannot see the bar on a bell.
wow 42" yea its 3/4 pitch to huh? well i mess up 25" 404........i won't feel quite so bad next time.

if i had a tire i'd give it to ya......dang yer lucks got to change soon bro.

BargeMonkey

If an 18.4x26 would have bailed you out, and you where closer it would be yours. Where exactly are you logging at ? Looks like rough country in the background.

SliverPicker

Thanks for the tire offers!

The terrain I'm in is flat as a board.  Across the draw (the background of the photo) its kinda steep for about a mile and about 60% of the trees are blown over.  No thanks.  In Colorado very little is flat, but where I am now is.

Couldn't sleep last night.  There where 3 bull elk bugling their fool heads off until 2:30 am.  They started again at 5am.  The peak of the rut is for the next week.  I need to get my bow dusted off.
Yooper by trade.

SliverPicker

Quote from: mad murdock on September 08, 2014, 04:24:23 PM
That looks like more fun than one guy can handle!!! Good to see you didn't lose your sense of humor along that road. I bet that made for a looooong week ::)

A long week for sure.  Very few logs to the landing in a whole week.  Lots of traveling, but no production.
Yooper by trade.

lopet

Sorry for you luck man.   Now you make me thinking about the way your taking your Crummy for a walk.   Pulling it in reverse  might do less damage, but I like the idea with the blade.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

ozarkgem

Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

SliverPicker

I thought about grabbing the truck across the hood with the grapple.  I was a bit ticked at the time.  I'm glad I calmed down and didn't do it! :D
Yooper by trade.

Thank You Sponsors!