iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is this bug

Started by wesdor, September 07, 2014, 04:22:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wesdor

I was splitting firewood this afternoon.  Cut up a dead elm that I had dropped on the ground last spring.  Deep within the rounds I found quite a few bugs.  They look like wasps to me and had a stinger that was working pretty hard.  I have never seen anything like this and wonder if anyone can identify. 

1)  Are they dangerous
2)  How did they get so deep in the wood

I'm going to haul the wood to a burn pile and torch it, but wonder if this is something I should be concerned about.

Sorry about two images.  I'm not very good at posting photos.  If someone wants to delete the duplicate please do so.

wesdor

I may have found the name. It looks to me like a Banded Horntail - (Urocerus gigas flavicornis)

Insect identification.org says the long "stinger" is not really a stinger but an ovipositor.  The female lays eggs deep in tree trunks in hopes of evading predators. 

Not sure if this is really the name but it makes sense. Sorry for the bad photo but I killed the wasp before taking the photo

beenthere

wesdor
You can edit your post by going to it and clicking on "Modify". Then just remove the extra pic that is there.

Then click on "Preview" to see how it looks and click "post" when you are satisfied it is how you want it to look.

I don't see any reason to torch the wood.
Split it, stack it for drying, and the bugs will leave (I've found anyway).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

wesdor

Thanks Been There. I think it worked

Den Socling

I think they are harmless females trying to lay eggs. I would use it for firewood but I wouldn't put a stack in the house.

Thank You Sponsors!