iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

10x14 shed end door

Started by Michael NY TF, September 06, 2014, 10:16:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael NY TF

Hi everyone, I'm currently in Sketchup making plans for my 10x14 timber framed shed, based off the patterns in the Sobon book.

I'd like to put a wide door on the end of the shed, so that I can potentially work with lumber sticking out. The issue I'm running into is that, with a 10' wide shed, and any reasonably sized braces, the max door opening width on the end is about 3'. I could do a split sliding barn door on rollers, which when open would show the braces when open. This split door is featured on the Cullina shed (pic below). But I'm concerned about security with this type of door, and how well the door will seal, as the shed will be insulated.

Wondering if I'm missing some obvious way to space door mounting girts more widely which would mean they overlap the braces

venice

What´s the problem with the braces showing while the doors are open?

Make up your mind what you want and need. A traditional design with some limits, or a traditional design that is adjusted to your personal needs and interests?

It´s up to you.  How about an 2 sash outswing door?

Brian_Weekley

Sliding doors are great, but I opted for swing out doors for the same reasons you mentioned--I wanted good sealing and insulation.  You could add studs wherever you need them (even between the braces) to mount the hinges to.  I also agree with Venice--no problem if the braces show when you open the doors.  This was my door build:

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,75015.msg1137569.html#msg1137569
e aho laula

BCsaw

Brian, if it is your wish to have the doors on the end, then I would be tempted to have the whole end open up. Have a door swing to each side. Your can easily trim it out to be weather proof. That would end the issue with the door framing uprights and the braces. The braces would be exposed when the doors are open, you just have to watch your noggin as you walk past!
Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

Michael NY TF

Thanks guys, yeah I don't have a problem with my braces showing, but just had a brain lapse thinking about mounting the door. I'm going to go with double outswing doors mounted on the 2x4s I'm attaching to the frame exterior that I'm putting the insulation in.

I really do like the look and function of the split rolling barn doors as well, but I think security and seal-wise the swing outs are the way to go.

BCsaw

Sorry about that. In my last post I mistakenly put Brian rather than Michael!
My bad.
Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

Thank You Sponsors!