iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

For those who use it, what eye/ear protection & respirator?

Started by JP135, September 05, 2014, 11:34:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JP135

I wear a 3m respirator with the replaceable filters on the side. Got mild asthma and don't want to aggravate it.

Most times when I'm cutting I wear either my prescription glasses that are impact resistan or a pair of safety glasses.

Problem is, when I wear the respirator, it makes my glasses ride too high on my nose and leaves an open area beneath the lenses. Last week, I got a splinter in my eye in spite of the glasses. Took hours of eye-rinsing to finally dislodge it. No lasting damage, but I'm thinking there's gotta be a better solution.

Anybody use the logging helmet with the built-in ear protection and the flip-down screen over the face? Are they just ridiculously heavy?

I'm open to other suggestions too.

justallan1

I use the Husky hat and shield, but I leave the ear protection flipped up. It takes a minute to get used to the face shield, but it can sure save you, especially bucking and tossing branches.

Allan

Tom the Sawyer

Do a search for "powered air respirators", brands like Trend and 3M.  They aren't cheap but if you need that level of protection they will allow you to wear glasses or not and still have face protection while also getting a continuous flow of fresh air across your face. 

My use depends on the wind direction.  I wear impact resistant lenses but if the dust is in my face I have a pair of goggles close by along with an off-road riding dust mask.  For ear protection I have a couple of sets of ear plugs that are mounted on a spring frame that goes behind your head or under your chin.  Easy to remove if you need to hear something or talk to someone.

Mounted at the front end of my mill is a plastic tool chest which is stocked with dust masks, ear plugs, ear muffs, goggles, eye protection, leather gloves and a fire extinguisher and a first aid kit.  Before we start on the first log I show it to clients and their helpers and tell them to take whatever they need to be comfortable.  I'd hate to have someone standing around because they didn't have a pair of gloves.  ;D
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Wallys World

I have a Stihl "Wood Cutters" helmet, shield, ear muffs combo. Stihl makes several different helmets but this is the only one with a top ridge vent to help your head keep cool. Before this one I wore a Jonsered helmet. The Stihl is more comfortable.
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

francismilker

My helper(son) and I use the husky hat with mesh shield and ear muffs. It does take a bit to get used to it. Doesn't matter I'd we're logging,sawing,or cutting firewood they're being used. We also use disposable dust masks when dusty conditions warrant but try to battle sawdust by keeping things watered down.

I'm trying to instill in him the importance and necessity of using PPE. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure in my books. Besides, God only gives us one set of ears and eyes.
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

petefrom bearswamp

Loggers helmet and screen.
My WM debarker occasionally spits a piece of bark at me and it mostly  keeps the sawdust out of my eyes
I wear the muffs but my hearing is so bad that it is closing the barn door after the horse is out.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Dave Shepard

I wear a Stihl hard hat with the face screen and ear muffs. I use Stihl sunglasses under the screen. Usually, I only use the screen when the debarker is running, as it can toss a lot of stuff back.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

kevin19343

I made the mistake of placing my mill downwind of the prevailing winds, so sawdust in the face is an everyday issue.

I use a loggers helmet with mesh screen. It takes care of almost everything unless the wind is really blowing. I never use the built in hearing protection as it is a quiet mill.

dgdrls

Foamies for the ears  and safety glasses.  I put my chaps on as I run a Lucas and once-in-a-while I get
wood-bits/bark thrown at me.  I get Allergy Asthma but I don't do a respirator as the Lucas puts out "chips" and I have not had issues to date
with what I have sawn thus far,

Chainsaw work gets a HH in addition to all the above.

DGDrls

mad murdock

Foam earplugs all the way. Not near as hot as muffs. I use Bug Eyez safety glasses style. The screens are a lot cooler in warm weather and offer great protection for debris to the eyes. They have a goggles version also.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

BCsaw

Just ear muffs while running the mill, both me and my off bearer. If we pick up the chain saw, chaps, helmet with mesh screen and muffs.
Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

glassman_48

jp135,
In the winter I wear a thin nylon mask that fits over my head and down over my neck similar to what snowmbilers wear.  I can breath through my mouth that way and wont fog up my safety glasses.  I also wear a stihl safety helmet with the ear muffs and protective screen.  In the summer I use foam ear plugs and safety glasses and if the dust is blowing my way (using my firewood processor) then I wear a cheap face mask to help with the dust.

Magicman

3M dust mask with exhalation vent, safety glasses, ear plugs, (not foam) steel toe boots, gloves, and most times a "pith" style hat.  A welder's leather waist apron and back support belt. (weight lifters)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

backwoods sawyer

I picked up some safety glasses with bifolkels built right in, makes reading smaller #'s on the accuset 2 at a glance rather then at an exstened arms length and squinting. 
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

JP135

Thanks everybody. As usual, this bunch is a wealth of knowledge - every single response has offered good information.

I ordered the Husqvarna helmet today. It's got the built-in ear protection (though I may be like Bearswamp, closing the barn door long after the horses have escaped). I figure the mesh screen will keep the chips and some of the dust. I'll depend on a better pair of safety glasses to get the rest. I'll continue to use my respirator as is.

francismilker brought up a good point about PPE (Personal Protective Equipment). I'm glad to see attitudes about PPE have charged. Maybe we can teach our kids something most of us had to learn the hard way.

LaneC

francismilker that is great you are teaching that. One thing extra that you may want to bring up, is the importance of watching out for any other people that are around that could cause them harm. Some people you cannot trust to be around, as they do not know or care to work safely. I am a prime example of someone with a great carrier being ruined by someone who tried to hurry up a simple task and caused more pain and agony than they will ever know. After they mame you, they will just move on and go on with life while yours is pretty much shot. The other person to watch out for is very important, it is like defensive driving, you always have to be alert for the other person. I hope and pray to God all the time that I will be able to return to work, and if He sees fit I will, however I will never trust any other person that I do not know, if they are in a position to cause anyone any harm. Just a rant I guess, however it is something you or your son will never want to go through I promise you. Anywho, just tell him to look out for other folks too because they can hurt you as well.
Man makes plans and God smiles

dboyt

Logger's helmet-- also provides head protection.  I had a helper catch me on the head with the end of a board a few years ago.  It would have taken me a lot longer to get off the ground if I hadn't had the helmet on.  Also steel toe boots, though the only time anything lands on my foot is when I'm not wearing them.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

mesquite buckeye

When cutting any wood that is at all irritating, some kind of dust protection is neccesary. I cut a lot of mesquite, which will induce asthma in over half of the people who work with it. I find the N95 type mask/respirators work really well if well fitted to the face and you are clean shaven. Even stubble will make a mask leak. Also the nose bridge must be well fitted. You can test the mask by blowing out hard. You can feel any leaks then. These masks are quite lightweight and you can get them for between 1-2 bucks each if you buy them by the box.

I wear a Stihl helmet with faceshield and earmuffs. Not great in really hot weather but OK otherwise. Sawmills and even chainsaws can send some nasty chunks into you, and not just from the debarker. I hate to think of all the chunks that have come flyin' off the mill and chainsaw that resulted from some pretty nasty cuts and bruises. Whenever I am running the mill the faceshield is down, except for if I am cutting clean cants with no bark and no cracks. That faceshield is covered with dents from fast flying debris. Just yesterday a big chunk bounced off the shield heading straight for my left eye. No time to react, only saw it coming inches away from my face. A new dent in the face
shield. :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

woodsteach

At my mill (brand x swing mill)... anyone around wears a logging helmet...  face screen, helmet, and ear muffs.
I've used Peltor for several years they are good.

This spring I purchased the Rockman system with integrated safety glasses and it seems to be a good system although the screen is a bit stiff to flip up and down.  But I really like the safety glasses.
http://www.baileysonline.com/Safety-First-Aid/Helmets-Headgear/Forestry/Premium-Rockman-Lumberjack-System.axd

I have a Peltor for my helpers and a new knock off as well, the knock offs screen is also very stiff to move as well, maybe it will loosen up with time.  http://www.baileysonline.com/Safety-First-Aid/Helmets-Headgear/Forestry/Pro-Safety-Helmet-and-Hearing-Protection-System.axd

when milling, chainsawing, and even running the skidloader in the woods I use the helmet with ear muffs down, and when milling I even use custom molded ear plugs as well as the muffs.  I want to be able to hear my grand kids some day in the far off future.

Paul
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

Thank You Sponsors!