iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Funny story

Started by vtgreen, September 05, 2014, 08:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtgreen

I had to share this photo my father in-law took today in Mount Vernon, Washington. This was a huge tree that they were having taken down because of the risk of the limbs falling on the house.
At first I was impressed at the size of the tree and the skill it must have taken to get all the limbs down safely.
Then he says; "There was still a squirrel in the top of it." Long pause.... "and it pi$$ed on him."
I lost it, the thought of that poor squirrel, and the guy at the top getting pi$$ed on.
Anyone out there been pi$$ed on by a squirrel? What did you do?

luvmexfood

Well close. When I was about 13 back in 1973 there were a lot of coon hunters around and not a lot of coons. So they brought some in for stocking purposes.

One evening my neighbor noticed one up in his tree so he called his coon hunting buddy who came with a catch stick. They conned me to climb up and catch it. Just as I got under it I got drenched. Did bring the coon down with the stick.

In case you don't know what a catch stick is it is a hollow rod like a piece of pipe with a small wire rope ran thru it to make a loop. Place it around the neck of the animal and pull the other end of the cable. Just not to tight.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

terry f

Did the squirrel come down with the tree?

coxy

lmao  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D never a squirrel  but a skunk

vtgreen

I assume the squirrel came down with it, but I don't know, I will ask. I should have more details and more photos this week. Apparently the bottom 30' of this tree weighed 14,000 lbs!

timberlinetree

While climbing I ran into a squirrel nest. It was loaded with fleas or something that started biting me all along the forehead and it was hot! That was fun!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

RPF2509

Just last week I was dropping an ugly cankered, mistletoe infected tree.  It hit with a gratifying thump right where I wanted it to go.  As I was walking up the trunk limbing the branches a small Douglas squirrel crawled from the wreckage and up a small cedar about 10' high.  He sat there dazed and confused, soaking wet while I finished limbing the tree.  Finally he crawled off into a big Doug fir. Now whenever I come into the yard he'll be there chattering and chittering at me.  Sometimes he'll get quite close to give his scolding.  I found his nest when I cleaned up the limbs - pine needles and shredded cedar bark neatly tucked into a mistletoe witches broom.  He was lucky it was only about 30' up and off to the side where the trunk hit the ground.

Jeff

I dropped this tree a few years ago, and as I was bucking it up I had a young squirrel come out of a hole and actually make a few threatening advances towards me and then ran back in the hollowed tree. I had the camera and took a short video of the angry little bugger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7TYdkEO0cM
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

coxy

:) it looks like you jumped a little there boss  :D :D :D

WV Sawmiller

When my son was about 10 I had bought him a pump up BB gun with scope. Went out behind the house and I was shaking vines and leaf nests and such locating squirrels for him to shoot. When we'd find one I'd get him to stand still while I walked around the tree. The squirrel would turn the tree keeping it between me and him until my son could see it then he'd shoot it. He'd killed a couple and I pulled a vine on a big nest in a young water oak. The nest just unwound - was a big coon. I told Sean to shoot him in the head as only place he had a chance to kill it. First shot it dropped and hung on a limb. I told him I'd climb up and get it. Half way up it came to and son started yelling it was moving. He'd just knocked it out. I told him to shoot it again. I was trying to keep the tree between me and the barrage below but he never could hit it again. Kept ricocheting BBs off the limb it was on and all around me so I told him to stop shooting and I'd catch it. I had caught many coons in may career. I got just in reach and it climbed out on a limb. I told Sean to be ready in case it fell and I reached for the coon. As I touched fur it wet all over me then kicked off. Looked like about a 40' fall and I figured the fall would kill it. Wrong. It hit and Sean stuck his gun in its ribs and shot then he and the coon both ran out of sight with me up in the tree. I kept hearing  "Whack, whack, whack" and thought Sean was beating it with his gun. I yelled at him to stop beating it with his gun. Whack, whack, whack  "I'm not beating it with my gun." Whack, whack, whack. "I'm beating it with a stick". Whack, whack, whack. I finally got down and found him there with a well dead coon. I took it home, skinned it, my wife cooked it and made hash and he ate it. I tanned the hide with chemicals from a local taxidermy shop. My wife made him a hat with face in front and tail hanging out back. He was a very proud and happy little boy. My mom still has a picture of him holding his coon and a couple of squirrels and he was grinning from ear to ear. Years later he had a pet coon and when it would misbehave Sean would point to his hat on his bed post and say "Chester, you better behave or you'll end up like him!"
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Southside

I was running a trap line with my boss many years back. We got a real nice fisher in a leaning tree conibear set. He removed the cat and tossed it into his baxk pack, pack basket, re set the trap and off we went. Well about 5 minutes later I was behind him when I saw paws and a head pop up over the edge of his basket. All I could muster was something along the lines of "Its,  it's, it's" and Dave realized what I was trying to say. He got that pack off and ran 30 feet in one motion. The fisher hit the snow and bolted. Talk about a tough animal.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

bigred1951

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on January 28, 2015, 07:33:39 PM
When my son was about 10 I had bought him a pump up BB gun with scope. Went out behind the house and I was shaking vines and leaf nests and such locating squirrels for him to shoot. When we'd find one I'd get him to stand still while I walked around the tree. The squirrel would turn the tree keeping it between me and him until my son could see it then he'd shoot it. He'd killed a couple and I pulled a vine on a big nest in a young water oak. The nest just unwound - was a big coon. I told Sean to shoot him in the head as only place he had a chance to kill it. First shot it dropped and hung on a limb. I told him I'd climb up and get it. Half way up it came to and son started yelling it was moving. He'd just knocked it out. I told him to shoot it again. I was trying to keep the tree between me and the barrage below but he never could hit it again. Kept ricocheting BBs off the limb it was on and all around me so I told him to stop shooting and I'd catch it. I had caught many coons in may career. I got just in reach and it climbed out on a limb. I told Sean to be ready in case it fell and I reached for the coon. As I touched fur it wet all over me then kicked off. Looked like about a 40' fall and I figured the fall would kill it. Wrong. It hit and Sean stuck his gun in its ribs and shot then he and the coon both ran out of sight with me up in the tree. I kept hearing  "Whack, whack, whack" and thought Sean was beating it with his gun. I yelled at him to stop beating it with his gun. Whack, whack, whack  "I'm not beating it with my gun." Whack, whack, whack. "I'm beating it with a stick". Whack, whack, whack. I finally got down and found him there with a well dead coon. I took it home, skinned it, my wife cooked it and made hash and he ate it. I tanned the hide with chemicals from a local taxidermy shop. My wife made him a hat with face in front and tail hanging out back. He was a very proud and happy little boy. My mom still has a picture of him holding his coon and a couple of squirrels and he was grinning from ear to ear. Years later he had a pet coon and when it would misbehave Sean would point to his hat on his bed post and say "Chester, you better behave or you'll end up like him!"

How did the coon taste ive heard of people eating them and some have said if cooked right its about the best meat you ever eat

WV Sawmiller

BigRed,

That's sort of difficult to describe. I'd say he was better than groundhog, about as good as beaver but not as good as good BBQ armadillo but I doubt that would give most folks a lot to go on. They are dark meat, similar to squirrel but not as tough. Similar to rabbit I guess.

I'd say with any wild game taste depends on preparation and seasoning. We've fried young ones like rabbit and was good. Used to give most of what I killed to a neighbor and his wife cooked them in a Brown-in-Bag and talked about how good they were. We tried that once with a big old boar coon I killed on Camp Lejeune, NC and it was so bad the dogs wouldn't even eat the potatoes off it.

I killed a big coon once in Ga and wife cooked the meat off the bones, added BBQ sauce and we took it to a church social. One lady was reluctant to eat it as she knew we ate turtle, frogs and other things. I told her I had killed a couple deer already so she thought was deer. She was oaky with deer, ate some, came back for more. Her husband told me that didn't taste like deer and wanted to know what it really was. I squalled like a coon and he said "Oh, it was coon." Then his wife nearly got sick thinking about it. I don't know why.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

coxy

:D :D         what you don't know don't hurt you  :)  8)

Klunker

Used to coon hunt with dogs when I was younger. My Buddy and I did the skinning. The fur was sold. We had to leave one of the front paws on the carcass so it could be sold in Milwaukee. I remember hearing "mmmmmmm, dem coon is good!"

beenthere

Used to (about 25 yrs ago) have game feeds put on by local hunting groups, Conservation Clubs, Lions Clubs, and some Church groups... always would have some coon to eat along with some rabbit, squirrel, grouse, deer, pheasant, bear. moose, elk.  Probably some I've not mentioned. The coon was quite edible and tasty. Usually fixed in a dark brown gravy and had to pick the bones out. Never recall that it had any heavy or real distinctive gamey flavor. Guess it reminded me of turtle fixed the same way.

One lady at our work was quite disgusted with the idea that we'd been to a coon feed the night before and announced it was like eating dog. Most of us agreed it probably would be a similar taste. She wasn't impressed with the association. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

goose63

beenthere there's nothing wrong with dog meat I ate a lot of it in Viet Nam thy cooked it in a thick gravy was pretty good I thought
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

samandothers

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

WV Sawmiller

Goose,

One of my double first cousins was stationed in Korea and was guarding a train off on a siding for several days. He and his buddies got tired of C-rats and started trading with a little local "entrepreneur" who came by selling local food. They bought or traded for some BBQ for a couple of days. One day he came with a different dish. They told him no, they wanted more BBQ. The little boy did not speak English but finally communicated to them "No more American Bow-Wow".
Howard Green

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!