iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finally happened

Started by sshier, September 05, 2014, 03:52:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sshier

Pictures speak volumes

Now what got it back on its feet how long till everything drains back down it was quite a ride couldn't get rid of tree fast enough

Mark K

When I rolled the timberjack it laid on its side for over an hour. I rolled it back and let it sit till the next morning. Checked my fluids and bumped the starter slowly till I made a complete revolution. It will smoke like crazy for a bit.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

Skidder Kev

Wow!   Well glad you are all right .  That must have been some ride.   Did u have a seatbelt on or just hold on for dear life ?   Sorry I can't help you with wait time but someone will know.   
Kev

sshier

Actually happened fast enough that I couldn't save it but hit really slow kinda glad I wasn't wearing belt probably would have hurt more hanging from it. Sounds like I'll wait till morning to fire it all the fluids seem normal.

tj240

definitly wait a guy i worked with rolled a 460c timberjack, righted it he didmt wait started it bent the crank. better to wait at least overnite
work with my father[jwilly] and my son. we have a 240 tj 160 barko[old] works great three generations working together

clww

Definitely wait until you attempt. As you wrote, overnight should be enough time. Did this happen today? Glad to read that you escaped without any injuries. I put the bed portion of a Cat off-road dump on it's side early last spring. That was exciting enough for me! :o
Be careful out there. ;)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

BargeMonkey

I would give it some time, takes a while for the oil to drain back down out of the cylinder walls. Give the machine a good check over, make sure you didnt bend anything, kink a hose or break something loose. Doesnt look like a hard flop but still looks like you had a good ride.  :D 

clww

As you plan to let it sit overnight, check for any puddles underneath her tomorrow. ;)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

kiko

I go as far as barring the engine a complete round and making sure the intake is not full of oil.

thenorthman

easiest to let it sit and bump it slowly, IF and only IF your in a hurry you could pull the injectors and spin it a couple of times (or glow plugs if it has em) but thats a total pain in the back... repriming blah blah blah...

used to work in an indoor gokart track, open wheel madness at like 50 mph, every couple of days some one would roll one of the karts, we'd run out there toss it back on its wheels have them hop back in (seat belts we don't need no stinking seat belts) pull the little honda motor over a few times and POOF couldn't see 5 feet... it would take about 20 minutes for the exhaust fans to clear the air, and I never smelled exhaust the entire time I worked there.  (as a side note: best job ever, those little motors ran for about 5 years no govorners, rarely any oil, floating the valves heading into the back corner)
well that didn't work

sshier

Well waited bumped it over a few times and then started it it smoked and smoked. then acted like it had air in the fuel line but it cleared up and just continued to smoke. Smoke is blue me and the machine are fine I'm going to finish looking it over once the sun comes up as for looking for puddles it rained another 2 inches yesterday evening.

deastman

If this is only your first time it may happen again.  Back in the early 90's I had a 311 Hydro-Ax and it happened to me a number of times. Guess I was younger and more rambunctious and would hate to leave an oversize tree standing and go around it. After the first couple times of laying it over it wasn't so bad, shut the engine off and enjoy the ride.
Samsung 130 LCM-3 with Fabtek 4-roller and Cat 554 forwarder, Cat EL 180 excavator, Cat D3C dozer, Cat D7E dozer, '92 Ford LTL 9000 dump, Easy-2-Load 25 Ton tag-a-long, current project under construction: '91 Peterbilt 379 with a Hood 8000 w/extenda-boom loader

luvmexfood

Quote from: sshier on September 05, 2014, 04:12:36 PM
Actually happened fast enough that I couldn't save it but hit really slow kinda glad I wasn't wearing belt probably would have hurt more hanging from it. Sounds like I'll wait till morning to fire it all the fluids seem normal.

sshier No truer words have ever been spoken. When something like that happens it is more than likely fast. No matter what your reaction time is it is just that, a reaction.

Have run farm equipment since I was 12 years old. 42 years. Came close to flipping tractor couple of times and it was in the simplest of situations. People say jump off. No way can you get off. Just my observations. Up on two wheels teetering. You can't get off.

In my logging the last two years with the tractor every time I got in a hazardous situation it was pulling logs. Very careful and pay close attention. Tramming back when you are not as cautious. Ran up on a stump and end of a log twice tramming back and not paying attention. Looking for the next victim to cut.

Had boom pole on back of tractor next to trailer the other day and started to pull away at normal speed. Hook on boompole was hooked on trailer and I didn't see it. Front end of tractor was up about 3 ft. off ground before I could get clutch in. And I normally watch for that but not that time.

Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

lopet

Glad you are ok

I have never rolled or flipped anything, but lots of wheelies, front  , rear and side.  Probably just lucky. Gotta touch wood.
Yes, things happen fast , when your in a situation like that.  It's not only doing about the right thing it's also doing it fast enough. When you hesitate for a split second, it can be already too late.  A lot of things are going through your mind at this time and sometimes there just isn't enough time, to react at all and all you can do is, hang on to something . ( most of the times it's always the steering wheel  ;D )  The fact is , as older we get, our reaction time gets longer.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

sshier

Usually I can push the head down and dump the tree before I hit the no return point. but this one just kept going. After the I got out and my limber came over to make sure I was ok we were talking about it and he asked if I maybe hit close button in a panic but the head was open so I'm really not sure why this happened I guess it was just my time. Had many close calls but usually I can save it must have been in a yank to hit production. Our big trees go down by way of chainsaw but I to will get rushing and take a 24"r that looked like a 18"r from the cab.
What really dumbfounded me was this was just a 16" dead ash but it was tall think that had a lot to do with it. The other kicker was that pot lickin tree went right in the hole I wanted to put it in oh well live and learn.

barbender

I've never ran a rubber tired buncher, but I've heard it said that if you're not flipping it over regularly you're not running it hard enough ;)
Too many irons in the fire

timberlinetree

Glad you are ok!! Had a treefarmer almost roll over but a tree saved me! I could have hugged that tree for saving the day but I'm not a treehugger. :D
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

sshier

I personally only hug trees with buncher arms so does that make me a tree hugger oh my!

1270d

Quote from: sshier on September 06, 2014, 11:07:42 PM
The other kicker was that pot lickin tree

just curious where you learned this figure of speech?  I know quite a few that use it, but have never heard it elsewhere.

lopet

If your saying, your head was open  when it flipped, than maybe that tree was just stuck  in it.   Machine on a slight  angle and articulated and it won't take much at all.

Speaking about tree hugger . I am one of them too.     If I can't hug them, I cut them  ;D ;D

Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

BargeMonkey

The guy I bought my jack from had one, said he rolled it 3x the first week getting used to it.  :o.   Watched a guy flop an 1187 buncher, tracks pointed right up in the air. Cab smashed down into the ground, lucky the fire extinguisher didnt kill him. That took a 330 + 325 to to stand that back up. Knock on wood ive been very lucky.

sshier

Learned that from my dad don't know we're he got it from probably his dad.

And as far as tree being stuck I think it was just my time

beenthere

Quote from: 1270d on September 07, 2014, 09:35:38 AM
Quote from: sshier on September 06, 2014, 11:07:42 PM
The other kicker was that pot lickin tree

just curious where you learned this figure of speech?  I know quite a few that use it, but have never heard it elsewhere.

Have used it and have heard it used for better than 60 years.   ;)

But not thought of in the derogative way as implied in some meanings found by googling "pot licker".

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Pot+Licker
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sshier

Never heard it used that way.I'm a pot licker, I love the leftovers in the bottom of the pot. Really I enjoy from top to the bottom of what ever my wife makes.

Thank You Sponsors!