iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chain Sharpening preperation

Started by Dougr6, September 04, 2014, 03:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougr6

Hey, what do you guys use to clean your chains before and after sharpening them? Is there a homeade solvent I can make cheap? ???

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

I, for one, don't use anything before or after. Doesn't mean that I'm right, but it is how I do it.

What are you cutting? And how many tankfuls in the saw do you go through in an average day?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

celliott

I don't clean my chains. Don't know anyone who does, either.
Why do you want to clean your chains?
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

gspren

Are you taking them off and grinding or leaving them on the saw and filing or some other method? If grinding (which I don't do) pre cleaning will help keep the abrasive grit from sticking.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

clww

I sharpen my chains on the saw at least half a dozen times a day. I've never cleaned them prior to using a file.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

bandmiller2

For many years I ground my chains, after sharpening I would soak them in mineral spirits to remove grinding grit then dip in oil and into a plastic bag. Now I mostly file but remove the chain every second or third sharpening to clean the bar groove and saw. Most folks don't clean chains just file and back at it. Mineral spirits is as good a solvent as any and its not too expensive. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

jwilly3879

I just file them when they start to slow down in the cut. I am cutting on the landing so sometimes I need to file every hitch. I usually have two saws ready so I can get the hitch cut and piled before the next one arrives. If both saws are dull I tell the cutter/skidder op to take the scenic route with the next one. He helps out too, if I'm filing and there are still trees to buck he finishes them before he pulls in.

7sleeper

Never! Independant of filing or grinding.

Some people like overthinking things.

luvmexfood

I had read on here (I think) about people soaking there chains in a soap based degreaser before grinding.

Thought I would give it a try since I had some that had some buildup on the links. Soap based did maybe a little and I scrubbed with an old toothbrush then blew them off with air compressor. Unless I can find my small old brass wire brush probably won't do that again.

If anything, I may try some kereosine.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

CTYank

I file all my own chains, on the bar. Don't clean them beforehand (no need), and clean them afterward by immersion at speed in wood. Wipe chips off file after each cutter.

OTOH, for grinding others' batches of variously rocked chains, a couple of minutes in an ultrasonic clearer with dishwashing detergent degreases them. Quick rinse and blow-dry, and they're ready for inspection. Degreasing keeps the abrasive wheels from clogging and burning things. Less dressing = longer life.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

John Mc

THe only cleaning I do is if the chain teeth are really filled up with crud (oil mixed with sawdust, dirt, etc)  I'll noodle with it for a quick cut. The long chips that come with cutting with the grain seem to do a great job of cleaning the random crud out, so there is not as much there to load up the file.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

deerslayer

I don't think it hurts to clean chains before grinding but I never have. I figure about 1/10 of a revolution of the wheel is going to clean off anything that may be on the cutter. In most cases, unless the chains got dirty after they were removed from the saw, there isn't going to be oil or dirt on the part of the tooth that's getting sharpened.
Too many chainsaws, not enough wood.
Stihl, Husky, Craftsman, Mac, Homelite, Poulan. Some live here, some just passing through.

Hitchcock Woods

Never even thought about cleaning the chain.  Sharpening the chain "cleans" the part of the metal that will be in contact with wood anyway.
Chain Saws         Vehicles            LogSplitter
MS 192TC          6100D x2     TimberWolf TW3
MS 391               L2800
MS 441              HPX Gator
346XP           Honda4x4 Rancher
372XP              4x4 Frontier
HT 101 x2
MS 311

John Mc

When I noodle to clean the crud off the chain, it isn't out of concern for the chain. In fact, if I was worried about the chain or bar, I'd clean it after sharpening. I file with the chain still on the saw. All those metal filings can't be all that great for the bar.

My files load up more quickly if there is excess oil/sawdust/dirt on the chain (even if it's not all loaded up on the cutting surface). It's not enough of a factor for me to make it worth washing or rinsing the chain, but if I think of it, I will spend a couple of seconds cutting some noodles.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Andyshine77

If you're grinding chains, cleaning the teeth is a must IMHO, if you don't the stone will load up real quick and overheat the teeth. Like john said, ripping a log seems to clean the chain teeth and chassis.   
Andre.

John Mc

Quote from: Andyshine77 on September 08, 2014, 11:26:54 PM
If you're grinding chains, cleaning the teeth is a must IMHO, if you don't the stone will load up real quick and overheat the teeth. Like john said, ripping a log seems to clean the chain teeth and chassis.   

I hadn't thought of that. I use a file. Hard to overheat the teeth with one of those.

joe_indi

Quote from: Dougr6 on September 04, 2014, 03:33:39 PM
Hey, what do you guys use to clean your chains before and after sharpening them? Is there a homeade solvent I can make cheap? ???

Out here an old starter rope soaked in diesel is drawn to and fro against each cutter prior to sharpening them. This leaves the cutters spanking clean and prevents immature clogging of file grooves. It is easier to clean the file too with this method being used.

Al_Smith

I suppose person could put the chain in a dish washer prior to .I for one am not brazen enough to do it though . :o

Simple method with a file to clear the build up is just tap  the file on a vise,table whatever after filing a tooth .

Generally speaking a grinding wheel gets loaded up with metal not dirt .I don't grind chains myself .However the use of water greatly reduces loading up the wheel in other types of grinding applications .Maybe a little squirt now and again with an atomizing bottle would do the trick .

John Mc

Quote from: Al_Smith on September 11, 2014, 08:00:02 AM
Simple method with a file to clear the build up is just tap  the file on a vise,table whatever after filing a tooth .

That gets some of it off the file for me, but not all of it. The bar oil seems hold some of the crud in place. I suppose I could wash it out with kerosene or diesel fuel, but I generally just live with it

Al_Smith

:D Yeah I don't get real anal about it .I mean what the hey it's a chainsaw not a Swiss watch .

d1hamby

Quote from: jwilly3879 on September 05, 2014, 06:06:26 PM
I just file them when they start to slow down in the cut. I am cutting on the landing so sometimes I need to file every hitch. I usually have two saws ready so I can get the hitch cut and piled before the next one arrives. If both saws are dull I tell the cutter/skidder op to take the scenic route with the next one. He helps out too, if I'm filing and there are still trees to buck he finishes them before he pulls in.

Just wondering why you don't use a carbide chain? Have you tried any? If so, what kinds have you tried and what happened. I still can't get it through my head why more people don't use them. To me it just seems to work better longer without so much down time sharpening and changing chains, especially if your doing a lot of dirty cutting.
Own a Stihl 362 16" 0.050" carbide and steel, and 25" 0.063" Stihl 020T
Stihl KM131R, 130R and KM56R with several Brush Cutter and Weed Trimmer heads. Pole Pruner (with 10", 12" w/wo Carbide, and 16" bar&chains) , Blower, Modified 135° Hedge Trimmer, Straight Edger, Bed Edger, Tiller Kombi attchment

HolmenTree

Carbide chains cut SLOW plus very hard to sharpen with correct angles.

After filing my chain whether it's in the workshop bench vise or in the woods at the stump I always clean the steel filings off  my chain the best I can.
What happens when a sharpened cutting edge contacts steel filings in the kerf of a log?
Even WOT  in the air doesn't spin much of the filings off. I find right after filing  compressed air blown against the back of the cutters works best in the shop or a broom brush.
In the woods after filing my chain I'll run the chain through some snow or a puddle of water.
Cutting into moss safely cleans the chain nice too.

Very important to clean off the filings before putting the freshly sharpened chain to wood.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Stroover

Stupid question for you guys, but what is "noodling"?
When my time is up, I want to hit the ground like a spent shell!

clww

Quote from: Stroover on September 24, 2014, 07:39:24 AM
Stupid question for you guys, but what is "noodling"?
Long wood pieces (instead of chips) coming from the cut. Usually happens if you are cutting with the grain of the wood vice across the grain.
An example would be if you were cutting a slab out of a tree trunk lengthwise for say a table top.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

Thank You Sponsors!