iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaw pants

Started by ga jones, September 03, 2014, 09:43:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ga jones

Is anyone using or familiar with European standard pants? Type a or type c. From brands like SIP or pfanner. Oregon stihl and husky make them also. I've read that there very light, great maneuverability. Stretch fabric.they are very different than the US standard.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

lopet

I use the Stihl cutting pants for years and love them. There have lighter ones for the summer and heavier ones for the colder temperatures .  Pretty sure other brands are as good as them.  I just buy them, when I am at the dealer anyways and they are actually very reasonable priced. Next i gonna try their steel toe leather boots, because I heard good things about them  and I am really getting tired about, what they are selling at TSC.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Southside

Are those the ones that look more like jogging pants than chaps?  I saw a pair at a safety training class, the instructor said they had 9 layers of kevlar, they looked quite comfortable. 

Lopet - I picked up a pair of Wolverine leather steel toe boots this spring from Sierra Trading Post website, something like $50, figured if I got a month out of them then I would be happy as I am hard on footwear.  Got to say I am quite impressed with them - they don't have any kevlar in them like my winter boots do, which I don't like, but they have really no visible wear on them.   I glued on the cheap toe protectors I got at TSC as well, they actually stayed on. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

lopet

Yes, those are pants.  Just google them

I haven't found the right leather boot for me yet, still looking, but we are talking about pants now.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.

nhlogga

I like the Labonville pants with the removable pads the best.
Jonsered 2260
Husky 562xp

ga jones

The pants look like jogging pants. There way lighter than labonville or anything here in the US. When you look them up you have to put chainsaw trousers in the search engine.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

Pine Ridge

I bought a pair of Forester brand all season pants about a year ago. first week i wore them I loved em. after that there wasn't enough of em left to love.

Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

beenthere

Are you saying the chainsaw ate 'em up ?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Pine Ridge

no, no saw involved, lets just say they didn't last very well.
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

lopet

I wouldn't call them jogging pants.  Here is a example of the Husqvarna one.                                   

http://www.sherrilltree.com/Husqvarna-Chainsaw-Pants_2#.VAkPpFf2aCk

timberlinetree

I think I might try a pair, my chaps are shreaded and need replacement. Thanks for the information. :)
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

chep

Check out the Francital pants at treestuff.com I have been using them for about a year. Climbing and logging. They are the best I have found yet for the money.  They run small

chester_tree _farmah

I wear summer pants in the winter and still are too warm many times. :-p
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

ga jones

Chep. I orderd a pair of oregon waipoua type a. What type are the francital a or c. I've read on some arborist forums about them both. Kinda just took a chance on one.

teakwood

I used stihl pants for a long time. I needed new ones, when i was at holiday in my country (switzerland) i speaked with some profesionels and they told me that a lot of them changed to pfanner pants. So i bought one (for hot temperatures) and  dam do i like them, just 2.5lbs and stretchy on the back and they have vent zippers behind the knees for fresh air. Well they costed me 350$ but they are worth every dollar, will never go back to chaps or another pants.
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

sawguy21

Do they meet OSHA standards? Our regulations are quite strict, I believe they must withstand a threshold speed of 3600 ft/min. Good ones are hard to find for a reasonable price, we offer Oregon but the ones that meet BC standards are pricey so don't sell.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

teakwood

they meet al standards in europe (swiss standards are very stict). They are safety class A, 20m per second (that would be 3940ft/min) so they would meet your standards. A big company (teakplantations) here in Costa Rica boughted some cheap chaps for their employees (they have about 25 persons just falling trees) when the first one cuted thru the chaps into his leg they get rid of all the cheap chaps and bought good ones (around 100$). As I work alone (just one help) i dont care if they are expensive, they have to be comftable, light and save. We have 75 to 95 degrees the whole year, so chaps just slow you down even more and get tangled up more in the bushes and lianas.

ga jones

I like the look of pfanner pants as well. I have a pair of the oregon's on the way from a friend in Sweden.160.00

KyLogger

What about washing those things? I mean I almost never wash my jeans or hickories, but they get a good rinsing at least once a week or so ;) I can only imagine how many pairs of $250 pants you would need to rotate out a semi clean pair every once in a while!

Note: Not trying to be a smartass  ;D, just curious as to what other fulltime fallers handle it.

Tom
I only work old iron because I secretly have a love affair with my service truck!

ga jones

I have not looked at the cleaning instructions. These pants have been widely used in Europe and I have read many forums and never saw anything about it. They are not made with the same Kevlar structures the US made stuff is so that could be the difference.

teakwood

i wash them ones a week in the washing machine (should not wash with to hot water) then let them dry at sunday so they are ready to work on monday. I just use them 2Month a year, but if you are out there every day you should have two pairs. every profesional in europe use pants, have not seen chaps there.

ga jones: can you buy pfanner pants in the US? and how much are they? Probably cheaper than in Switzerland! Try them out, you wont regret!

KyLogger

Ever notice how the Canadians and Europeans look like space cadets with all the required safety gear? Poor guys are regulated to death. I am all for people using all the PPE they want. Or not. But.....the gubbment know best!

Tom
I only work old iron because I secretly have a love affair with my service truck!

beenthere

I had a guy laugh at me putting on my chaps when the two of us were cutting brush for a Lion's project in a school forest. He by the way was the EMS driver.
Reached into some buckthorn to cut it out, and the saw kicked and just bounced off my knee cap. Small tear in the chaps.
This guy that laughed turned white. His remark "I'm going to buy a pair this afternoon before I go home".
He's worn them ever since.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ga jones

Yes tree stuff.com has the pfanner gladiator pants in stock 299.00

petefrom bearswamp

Just a note of caution if buying Labonville chaps. in the Baileys catalog the measurement is apparently from the waist not the inseam as with trousers.
When the 2 pairs I bought got here they came well above the ankles.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

beenthere

Yes, they do say the measurement is "overall length".
south central Wisconsin

Skidder Kev

I wear the highest class pant we can get here yr round.  for the washing its cold water and hang dry.

kev

teakwood

Quote from: ga jones on November 14, 2014, 07:48:59 AM
Yes tree stuff.com has the pfanner gladiator pants in stock 299.00

I checked that webside out: these are the "gladiator pants" they are for colder temperatures (Fall, Winter). I did not see the "gladiator ventilation pants" (they would be for the summer). Not to be confused with arborist ventilation pants, they are diferent!
Check out the different pants on: http://katalog.pfanner-austria.at/

ga jones

If my buddy from Sweden comes through with the oregon's (there for my step father) I will get a pair of the pfanner ventilation gladiator and compare the two.

teakwood

I dont know the oregons. I am surely interested in your opinion when you tryed both brands. you have a lot of winter and cold temps where you live?

ga jones

Some years. It was 24f this morning and 38f high. Into single digits only for short periods a few days. It's unusually cold for this time here. It also gets into the 90sF here in the summer that's when standard USA spec pants get unbearable.

Kodiakmac

Quote from: KyLogger on November 13, 2014, 09:52:38 PM
Ever notice how the Canadians and Europeans look like space cadets with all the required safety gear? Poor guys are regulated to death. I am all for people using all the PPE they want. Or not. But.....the gubbment know best!
Tom

You don't know the half of it.  Just about every private industry in this country is getting regulated out of existence. >:(

Beware!  It's coming soon to a State near you!   ;D

Robin Hood had it just about right:  as long as a man has family, friends, deer and beer...he needs very little government!
Kioti rx7320, Wallenstein fx110 winch, Echo CS510, Stihl MS362cm, Stihl 051AV, Wallenstein wx980  Mark 8:36

ga jones

Got the Oregon pants from Sweden today

height=853]https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/23815/image~109.jpg[/img] 

ga jones

Super lightweight spandex on the back. Kevlar patches in knees.protective material in front

ga jones

Here's the inside the silver is the protective layer

teakwood

Nice! did you buy a pfanner pair too? They both should be similar

ga jones

No not yet. there a lot more money.trying to decide if it's worth it??

teakwood

How much are the oregons?

ga jones

teakwood

:o thats a big difference! Have you notice that all brands have cheaper models (less hightec) and the top of the line pants are allways around 250-300? In Stihl is the same. Are you sure that this oregon is the strechy, venty pros model?

lopet

I bought 4 pair of the Stihl ones about five years ago. They were less than 100 bucks back then. No idea what they're now.

teakwood

Stihl has a pricerange in pants from 100-350$ at least in europe. the cheapest are for hobby sawers and casual users. If you use them daily as a professional, believe me you want to by the more expensive ones especialy when working in hot temperatures. there is a big difference between does pants

lopet

No hot temperatures here when I am working in the wood. Or otherwise, if it is hot, I am not running a chainsaw.  My saws don't even run then. ;D ;D
Those pants work for me but maybe not for everybody.

ga jones

Yes they are pro model. Stretch. I found out about them on an arborist forum from Europe.

teakwood

So i have to check them out. 140$ for a pro model chainsawpants would be a steal! where in the u.s. can i buy a oregon pair?

Wildman Ben

Yea I'd love a pair of those oregons if they are only $140, where can you pick those up?

OH logger

anyone try the pfanner ventilation chainsaw pants yet?? they look to be vented better to stay cooler than even the summer gladiator pants but unsure how durable and cut resistant they are. any one know ??
john

howitzer

Lebonville summer pants with snap in pads are very light and comfy.

Straightgrain

Having a few nicks of my own and seeing pictures of more serious chainsaw cuts in this forum and during graduate school; I decided to buy a pair of the "lesser" chainsaw chaps from the local Stihl dealer for @ $89.00. I like them for protecting my legs from several occurrences beyond the obvious of cutting chains.

Falls, bumps, being whipped, and it keeps my trousers dryer & cleaner.

All of my nicks and close calls have been from "knee to bar" occurances; lifting my leg to step over  things and making contact with a moving chain....nothing new to the pros I'm sure.

My current saws idle properly and the chains stop, so that helps too.

Now I feel naked without them.  ::)
"We fight for and against not men and things as they are, but for and against the caricatures we make of them". Joseph Schumpeter

Offthebeatenpath

I bought a pair of the Stein Kreiger pants from Treestuff.com last summer and so far, so good although I have only used them for a few weeks. There is a bit of wear showing, but I love the super light and stretchy fabric in the back and the nomex on the front of the thighs. Also, a cell phone pocket on each leg is convenient. The suspender buttons match the Labonville pants. I try not to cut when it's too hot out, but when I have too, I reach for those.
1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

Thank You Sponsors!