iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Take it or leave it

Started by kiko, September 03, 2014, 08:56:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiko

I am in the logging business but not a logger.  I may have posted something similar before but something happened happened today that reminded me. Advice for would be and current loggers:
1.  Chrome Don't pull wood.
2.  Cash flow is not profit.
3.  The wood don't give a **** what the grapple looks like.
4.  Two skidders do not pull twice as much wood as one.
5.  If you have a spare machine you must maintain as if was the main, or you just end up with
     two down machines.
6.  If you are timber buyer you could cut the logger out, start your own crew and make all that
     money for yourself.   Ha! Ha! Ha! Hope you didn't put your house up against that equipment.

Take it or leave it

barbender

That all sounds about right to me ;)
Too many irons in the fire

Brleclaire

I'll add one more to your list.
It's a labor of love NOT MONEY!!

lynde37avery

Detroit WHAT?

WDH

Sounds like you had a bad day.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

brendonv

"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

nhlogga

Jonsered 2260
Husky 562xp

Woodhauler

Quote from: kiko on September 03, 2014, 08:56:30 PM
I am in the logging business but not a logger.  I may have posted something similar before but something happened happened today that reminded me. Advice for would be and current loggers:
1.  Chrome Don't pull wood.
2.  Cash flow is not profit.
3.  The wood don't give a **** what the grapple looks like.
4.  Two skidders do not pull twice as much wood as one.
5.  If you have a spare machine you must maintain as if was the main, or you just end up with
     two down machines.
6.  If you are timber buyer you could cut the logger out, start your own crew and make all that
     money for yourself.   Ha! Ha! Ha! Hope you didn't put your house up against that equipment.

Take it or leave it
1, chrome don't pull wood but it makes it go down the highway alot better!!!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Corley5

Most people don't understand #2.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

CTL logger

[/quote]1, chrome don't pull wood but it makes it go down the highway alot better!!!
[/quote]
Isn't that the truth woodhauler. I always keep my equipment looking good, seems to keep the dot cops from looking real hard at your truck.

Woodboogah

I can agree with those.  # 2 seems to knock a lot of guys out. They see a lot of cash and think they are rich.  Seem to forget about paying debts and landowners.
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

ST Ranch

Agree with others about #1 - Even with an older truck/trailer, keep it clean, well painted and good tires and the DOT give ya less trouble. Tom
LT40G28 with mods,  Komatsu D37E crawler,
873 Bobcat with CWS log grapple,

bushmechanic

I hear ya kiko. As for number 1 I have seen guys that would skip an oil change so they could buy lights to make there rig look like a christmas tree.... just saying. I understand what you guys are saying about making it look good and yes your right but paint don't make the machine, and i'm sure some of you have bought a paint can rebuild machine.

Maine logger88

Yup I have looked at quite a few skidders with the old DuPont overhaul nice and shiny but total junk underneath
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

BargeMonkey

How do 2 skidders not pull almost double the wood ? If I could find dependable help and afford the insurance hike I would have 3-4. You mean the chrome on my logtruck doesnt improve my fuel milage and raise my GVWR an extra 12k lbs ?

bill m

Quote from: BargeMonkey on September 04, 2014, 08:20:27 PM
How do 2 skidders not pull almost double the wood ?
Unless you are pulling from two different sides of the lot to two different landings there will be times when one skidder has to wait for the other one to get out of the way. Sometimes while setting chokers, sometimes on the skid road but most often on the landing.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

BargeMonkey

I dont wanna hijack his thread, but when im able to have 2 machines going, I see a huge difference. By myself if I do 40-50 sticks a day im doing good, 2 skidders and me bunching,  its on like donkey kong buddy, had my loader operator lose his s#!% we where putting it out so hard, and that was 1/2 mile skid. Im also picking up bunched wood, 50% of it is topped and pointing out already. The landing loader takes all the misery out of fighting chokers.    8)

cutter88

Lol I couldn't have said it better but have a few to add

You'll never get anywhere sitting in the pick up playing boss

Steeling a little will bite you in the a$$ a lot

Never put your business ahead of your wife and kids or all you'll have in the end is half a business hahaha
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

xalexjx

great advice, my #1 is always diversify the business and be ready to change with the markets.
Logging and Processed Firewood

kiko

Two skidders will defiantly increase production, but I just put the theory of decreasing marginal returns into woods lingo .  You will never double with two any things .  Add more skidders than you can cut wood for or bottle neck at the landing.  The goal should be for each machine to operate as close to full capacity as possible,  and this can be difficult to get all the machines that are required to get the wood out to all operate at capacity, thus the as close to thing. Also I have no  bone with someone taking pride in there equipment, truck....but if your tires are slick and the brakes are about cam over that is where the money should be spent ( bush mechanic ).  Great additions by the way.

BargeMonkey

If the tires are worn to the cords and brakes are almost cammed over chrome should be your last worry. Your right in saying "MORE" isnt always better, or more productive. When I just had a dozer and cable skidder things seemed simpler, yes you cut more wood but at a huge expense and sometimes your not gaining much more. Strong maintenance goes a long ways, we run some older stuff but common sense and a few cases of grease go a long way.

jwilly3879

x2 on the maintenance. Too many guys think they can't afford it but the repair bill gets higher and higher. I've seen where people take a beating on a trade in and roll over the financing to a newer machine because they just didn't stay on top of minor repairs.

huskyxp

Good thread! All so true and to add one my grade 9 math teacher use to say : KISS = keep it simple stupid

Ford_man

Any time you double your size of operation you increase your problems by 4 times. splitwood_smiley

Thank You Sponsors!