iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help! Quick log scale question

Started by cutter88, September 03, 2014, 04:10:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cutter88

Hard wood vinneer logs 12" to 18" what scale is better decibel c or Doyle?
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

chester_tree _farmah

http://pubs.ext.vt.edu/420/420-085/420-085.html

Don't think u want Doyle.

U can compare all three. There is Maine scale too but U don't have to worry about that one. :-)
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

Texas Ranger

decibel c, doyle underscales small logs
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

beenthere

Quote from: chester_tree _farmah on September 03, 2014, 04:25:02 PM
http://pubs.ext.vt.edu/420/420-085/420-085.html

Don't think u want Doyle.

U can compare all three. There is Maine scale too but U don't have to worry about that one. :-)

Three can be compared using the Tool Box (red in left column) here on the FF.

Buy on Doyle, but don't sell using Doyle.. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jhenderson

I always thought decibel was a sound measurement.

Southside

You buying or selling?  From the loggers point of view Doyle is really for logs 28" and above, International will scale more wood in a log below that diameter and Doyle will scale more wood above that diameter. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Brleclaire

If your selling that size definitely decimal c. If you want do a web search for log scale rule can find some interesting stuff. Some will give a brief history and who formulated it and the actual equation used to figure volumes and expiation on what size trees each is better for and who(buyer/seller). Just a little info if interested instead of just looking at numbers on a chart or stick.

beenthere

Here is a very detailed history of log rules, with formulas, and comparisons by rule and also by log diam... if interested.

A Collection of Log Rules

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplgtr/fplgtr01.pdf
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

treeslayer2003

Quote from: cutter88 on September 03, 2014, 04:10:06 PM
Hard wood vinneer logs 12" to 18" what scale is better decibel c or Doyle?
a 12"  log is not veneer to me. depends on the mill, i doubt you will change their mind.

Ron Wenrich

Seems that the buyer is the one who sets the scale.  In my area, Doyle is the only scale that buyers use.  As long as they get enough logs, they won't change the scale.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!