iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logger arrested after worker killed.

Started by Ianab, September 03, 2014, 02:34:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/10455485/Arrest-following-logging-death

QuoteA Horowhenua man has been arrested and charged with manslaughter following the death of a man during a logging operation.

Lincoln Kidd, 20, was killed on December 19, 2013, while he and colleagues felled tress on a forestry block on State Highway 1 near Levin. Police say he was struck by a falling tree.

Police announced this afternoon a 46-year-old from the Horowhenua had been charged with manslaughter. He also faced workplace health and safety charges by WorkSafe NZ.

"There have been investigations by WorkSafe NZ and Police that involved an extensive inquiry phase and a large number of witness statements were taken, and legal advice was sought," Levin CIB Detective Sergeant Peter Vine said.

"Throughout this process we have remained in frequent contact with Mr Kidd's family and we have met with them recently to communicate the next steps in our investigation."

The 46-year-old will appear in the Levin District Court tomorrow.

Short on details as the case is now before the courts and police wont comment on details in that situation. But usually accidents like that only involve workplace safety charges. Must have been something spectacularly dumb.  :-\
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

drobertson

Working conditions are very difficult for young folks to deal with.  It is very hard at times for these young folks to speak up when they are not sure what is right and wrong. Or the macho thing steps in and bad things just happen.  this is a very sad day for all those folks for sure, especially the family of the one that passed.   
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Ianab

A few more details after the first court appearance.

Seems the guy was using a mechanical harvester to fell trees, while a ground crew was limbing, too closely. He dropped a tree and it hit one of the crew. I think it's normal practice not to have anyone on the ground within X metre of a harvester while it's working?

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WDH

Exactly.  Two tree lengths is commonly specified. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

That is a tragedy.  It would seem much easier for the ground guy to see the harvester than vice-verse.  Still a life was lost.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

barbender

I can't remember the distance the decals our machines state, but I'm thinking 300'. I would never want to be working on the ground anywhere near one. This is very sad.
Too many irons in the fire

drobertson

High speed, low drag more often than not will produce the wrong outcome.  Over confindence is and always has been a set back for so many.  A very sad story for sure.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

luvmexfood

Criminal charges in coal mining accidents used to be unheard of here in the coalmines of central Applachia.
Now if it is proven that safety checks were being "pencil whipped" or something of that nature where their is clear disregard for safety then charges may be brought. As they should be.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

thecfarm

The stroke of the pen will get you,sooner or later.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Corley5

300' is what the decals say on my machine.  The operator can't necessarily keep track of where the ground crew is.  They should stay well away from the machine.  I tell my guys if they need to talk to me and can't reach me on my cell phone to approach from the cab side of the machine and make sure that I see and acknowledge that I see them and then wait for me to ground the head and shut the machine down before coming any closer.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!