iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Center post scarf

Started by shane77m, September 01, 2014, 01:41:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shane77m

I have been kicking around some designs on a house I would like to build. Is it acceptable to put a splice in a center post? If so, it would make it a lot easier to handle a shorter log than a 24 footer. Thanks for any assistance.

Jim_Rogers

Yes, a vertical scarf is ok, as long as it is cut correctly.
That means 4 times the width in over lap.
And all parts of the end grains of both pieces have to completely bear on their mating pieces. If they don't then the fibers will crush until they do. This may mean that the post would get shorter a bit until all surfaces bear the weight of the structure above.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

shane77m

Thanks  Jim. That is the answer I was hoping for. I have the means to cut a 24' long post but moving the log around to get it might be more than I can handle. Not to mention the troubles that would come with raising a 20 plus foot post.

I guess I need to start practicing my scarf joints now and maybe by the time I am ready to start on the house I will be able to cut them decently.

LeeB

How would you cut a verticle scarf? would it be tha same as a horizontal scarf?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: LeeB on September 02, 2014, 03:11:46 AM
How would you cut a verticle scarf? would it be tha same as a horizontal scarf?

The most common vertical scarf is a bladed scarf joint:

I have written an eBook about how to do this. And the last time I did this I video taped the entire process from end to end.
The video is three hours long cut into 38 short sections. It comes on two DVD discs due to the size of the videos.

I have this available. If you send me an email via the regular email system to jrsawmill (AT) verizon (dot) net, I'll give you the details on purchasing either the eBook or the videos.
5% to FF if you mention it to me in the email.

You can see some of the scarf joint in my safety video on YouTube. Search for JimRogers117 on YouTube and you should be able to find it.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

razor

Here is a scarf I invented some time ago. At least I THINK I invented it based on that I've not seen another. I call it the "Razorblade", clever eh? Probably wouldn't use it in a post though.
It fared well in the joint busting machine back in Saratoga. Came in second place if i recall. Still have the ribbon ;D

D L Bahler

On the European Continent, you often see spliced posts. Many buildings of any age have spliced posts, because they have been repaired or modified at some point in their life.

The most common vertical splice I see is a simple necked splice, where one (the lower) timber has a very long tenon and the other (the upper) has a 'neck' or a forked tenon. This is then reinforced with many pegs.

Another approach, you could just interrupt the post at the tie beam. Have the tie beam land atop the lower post, then have an upper ridge post land atop the tie beam. This is a very common solution, at least in Switzerland, to not having suitably long timbers -or not wanting to handle such long timbers.

BCsaw

Very interesting joint Razor. I like the fact that it has been "tested".
Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

Thank You Sponsors!