iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

how do you shave

Started by bigred1951, September 01, 2014, 11:55:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

I can't shave with anything but shaving soap. I even have a shaving scuttle. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

slider

I us Gillette Mach3 .I only shave under my neck .The last time I shaved my beard was 1970.I heard on Clark Howard that if you cleaned and dried your razor after use it would last much longer,It works.I shave every other day and I can't remember when I have changed heads.I do this because even though I can't spell worth a crap I still want to look smart.Poston fell for it so it was worth the effort.
al glenn

sandhills

Quote from: yukon cornelius on September 01, 2014, 07:11:09 PM
I don't! I had to be clean shaved for my job for 15 years and for the last 3 years I have been letting it hang. I do clip both of the hairs on the top of my head though.
:o Man you gotta leave at least one for seed!  ;)

woodsteach

I started using the safety razor with 2 edges in March of this year and won't go back to the plastic multi blade things.  HOT water a little soap, even used water and soap with the disposal able multi blade ones many years ago... too tight to buy shaving cream
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

Todd

25 years ago I was living in Montana and ventured into an old barbershop in Hamilton. The place was perfect.....dark wood, old barber chair with a leather strop haanging off of it, a backbar with a huge mirror, glass bottles of various tonics and such..I decided i would have my first real shave.
Hot towel on the face....too hot at  first but then soothing
Warm lather brushed upon my face
A few passes on the strop with a gleaming pearl handled straight razor....

AND THE WORST BLOODLETTING MY FACE HAS EVER RECEIVED!
I was bleeding from 7 or 8 different places...towel to grab some blood and then splash...burning tonic that at least stoped the bleeding. 
As I took it all in the barber remarked, "Gee, I'll bet it's been 5 years since I've given anyone a shave."
That would have been info to have 10 minutes prior!
Making somthing idiot-proof only leads to the creation of bigger idiots!

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

petefrom bearswamp

Only shave my neck and do it in the shower with regular soap and either a 3 blade cartridge type or my dads old gilette safety razor depending on whether i am here in NY or in FL. 3 blade here safety there.
Works for me.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

pineywoods

VERY Carefully...Moles on my chin...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

LaneC

Todd--  I hate to hear that. A good shave with one(by doing it yourself) is really good. It takes getting used to though. A barber friend of mine explained it to me once. He said that they have to charge accordingly to compensate them for their time. He says he would have to charge as much as at least a haircut and people do not usually have that extra amount of money to get a haircut and shave. The advent of the disposable razor killed that part of barbers staying proficient in that part of their services, although they have places that are very proficient in the craft. Hopefully the guy did not charge you for all the scars ;D but I am guessing he did. Anywho, even if just keeping the neck and outside of a beard shaved it is worth the effort. Hopefully one day you could get a good one and I assure you, you will like it.
Man makes plans and God smiles

navycanoe

I use my grandpas old 1932 gilette safety razor.  it does at least as well as the mach 3, and with shaving soap, hot water and a good brush, plus taking your time, I get less razor burn (a serious problem for me with multi blades), and just as close of a shave.  Oh, and 10 blades for under 2 bucks...that helps too. ;D ;D

ksu_chainsaw

I have a norelco electric that i use most days... except on Monday mornings- I use a Gilette Sensor XL with twin blades. Having to stay clean shaven, I like to give my face a break- but the wife hates it when I am off work for several days- the stubble seems to grow faster than my lawn... :o

Brucer

I do it the old fashioned way -- the really old fashioned way :D. In other words, let it grow until it gets in the way, then hack it a bit shorter with whatever reasonably sharp instrument comes to hand :D.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Howdy

So a few years ago I was in the church's Christmas play and they asked me to grow a beard.  After six weeks of serious growth on my part, they asked when was I going to start the beard.  (I was 26 before I started shaving.) 

At the end of the season I went into the barbers for a "real" shave and no one there knew how anymore.  I got a trimming and went home for for the rest. 

Now I just stick my head into the wood stove whenever I need some touch-up.  It tickles a little but I haven't needed a haircut or my eyebrows trimmed for years. 

fstedy

8) 8) 8) Only When I have to.  8) 8) 8)
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

Bert

My father in law says to put some milk on your face and let the cat lick it off??

Me? I use a Norelco.
Saw you tomorrow!

den

QuoteI heard on Clark Howard that if you cleaned and dried your razor after use it would last much longer, It works.

A blade gets dull from rust quicker then use. I run my Dollar Store 4 blade razor under hot water then hit it across my finger to shake off most of the water, then blow the rest off and put the edge facing up. I probably get at least 3 weeks of use. 
Homelite SuperXL, 360, Super2, Stihl MS251CB-E, Sotz M-20 20lb. Monster Maul, Wallenstein BXM-42

Thank You Sponsors!