iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New guy in this neck of the woods

Started by Inwoodsman, August 31, 2014, 06:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inwoodsman

This is my first post, I finally joined after reading this forum for over a year and a half. My dad had a couple Belsaw  mills when I was a kid and I had no interest then ( probably too young, it was work!) Now years later and my dad is gone I have a burning desire to own a mill. A friend of mine has a old woodmizer Lt 40 hd and milled some poplar logs for me last year and now I'm hooked. So I'm going to take my time and check out different mills and over this next year try to purchase one. We have around 200 acres of managed woods, we have select cut on all of it and probably done cutting for several years. Problem is there are so many trees that still die, wind blows over or storm damage, and I am tired of cutting good trees into firewood.
So that's my story and glad to be part of this forum. Thanks

rooster 58

Ribsy

Welcome Inwoodsman. Looks like good reason to start cutting some fine lumber. Good luck finding the right mill. There are a lot of good ones out there. Poplar is my favorite to cut so far.
Engaged in tree work, tree removal, milling and and processing said product into high quality and well seasoned lumber slabs and firewood.

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Inwoodsman!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

cutterboy

Inwoodsman, welcome! What trees do you have in your woods.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Inwoodsman.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Inwoodsman,welcome to the forum. Have fun checking out the mills.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Inwoodsman

Cutterboy, thanks we have poplar,white,black,and red oak, sassafras, cherry, hickory,cedar and ash (which the ash borer are killing).

dgdrls

Welcome to the FF Inwoodsman,

Lots of great folks here,
With something of a background with circle mills, you considering
another one, or is a band style more to your liking?

Best
DGDrls

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

WmFritz

After a year and a half of lurking, glad you finally jumped in.  :D

Good luck with your search.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Inwoodsman

Thanks guys, I really feel welcome and feel like I know so many of you already after reading all the post over the last year and half. Thanks again.
dgdrls, I most definitely want a bandsaw mill. My buddy has the older lt 40 hd so I am kinda leaning towards orange paint. I would love to buy his, he hardly ever uses it. Joking around the other day he told me he would just lease it to me this fall when I have time to use it, well he really wasn't joking. So we'll see. The new lt 35 seems like a decent machine at a affordable price with the sales they run on them from time to time.

YellowHammer

Welcome to the Forum. We look forward to your contributions and posts.
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Magicman

A used sawmill is not bad.  (mine was)  They also hold their value well if/when you want to step up.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

creekrunner

Retired U.S. Navy,
2014 LT35HDG25

dboyt

Inwoodsman, welcome to the forum.  Might I suggest the Paul Bunyan show in Cambridge Ohio the first weekend of Oct?  This year will be the firewood processor Shoot-Out, but there will be a lot of sawmills in the exhibit area.  It is a great place to see a number of mills all in one place.  Also, check the sawmills listed in the sponsor's links to the right of the screen.  They help make this forum possible.  Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide to do.  Good used mills often sell for almost as much as new mills, so don't be surprised if you don't find a great deal right away.  The important thing is to find a mill that works for you.  By the way, I also got my first milling experience on a Bellsaw, and I manage a Tree Farm (in southwest Missouri).  Lots of oak mortality here, due to the drought.  You'll love having the band saw and being able to salvage your timber.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Inwoodsman

Thanks guys for all the advise and comments, magicman, I am not against a used mill at all. I'm hoping my friend sells me his lt 40. Keeping my options open. Dboyt, yes I may try to attend the PB show in Ohio, I have wanted to for years. Thanks

slider

Welcome Inwoodsman,I started out by purchasing half interest in a used lt 40 .It was a nice low hrs mill that served me well.Good luck.al
al glenn

OneWithWood

Welcome, Inwoodsman, from another southern Indiana wood guy.  :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Cedarman

Welcome , we can use all the Indiana folks we can get.  What town are you near? We are north of Marengo.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Inwoodsman

Onewithwood, thanks- you have the mill I'm dreaming of having!
Cedarman, thanks- I am in Salem/Pekin. You are not that far away.

Thank You Sponsors!