iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Spalted Maple....would like some advice.

Started by cutterboy, August 31, 2014, 05:34:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cutterboy

Hi all. I sawed a red maple log today that had some spalted wood in it. I have no experience with spalted lumber so I don't know if these boards are too far gone or not. One side of the log was kind of punky and three boards had some spalt and two more just rotten in the middle and the rest of the boards were fine. This log was a butt log and the boards are 12" wide.

Thanks for any info or advice you can give me.      Cutter
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Beaudeane

I hope they're not too far gone. It very pretty wood. I had some that was oak instead of maple that was splalted  like that. I made new cabinets & table for my camper with mine. It planed fine & glued up same as the regular oak I had used. It's been used a few times this summer & still looks & is holding up fine. Wish I could figure out how post pics from iPhone & they'd be on here too. Good luck on a better answer than I gave, but I don't have one. My spalted was bout same weight & hardness of non splalted I used
Don't think of it as `gun control', think of it as `victim disarmament"

redbeard

Spalt with figure makes a nice seller. Those look like you cut them at the right time.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

LeeB

Depends to some extent what you want to use it for. Something non structural such as a cabinet door panel can be a little weaker than the rails and stiles for the same door. Dig at it with your fingernail. If you can get your nail in it might be a little too far gone. Spalted wood might also take finish differently than sound wood. Consider this when choosing your finish. Watch for cracks in the edges of the boards as it dries. Another sign that it might be a little too far gone.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

21incher

I had some sawn that looked like that a couple of years ago and my biggest problem was twisting and cupping when drying. Luckily I had it sawn at 5/4 and got some good short pieces of 1 inch stock from it. Use a large flat block of wood and a full sheet of sandpaper when sanding your project to avoid low areas in the softwood and it takes a couple of extra coats of finish but looks beautiful when done. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

cutterboy

Thanks guys for your comments. I won't be making anything with it. If it dries well I will try to sell it.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

36 coupe

I read that spalted wood caused some serious lung problems for a fellow who turned spalted wood on a lathe.That was in an issue of Fine Woodworking.

Ianab

Quote from: 36 coupe on September 02, 2014, 05:10:01 AM
I read that spalted wood caused some serious lung problems for a fellow who turned spalted wood on a lathe.That was in an issue of Fine Woodworking.

It can, the fungus that causes the spalting creates toxic chemicals, and/or can cause an allergic reaction in some people. Not something that you want to have happen in your lungs. Wearing a breathing mask would be a sensible precaution when working with it.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

bandmiller2

Some spalting looks good but its just half way to rot. If a spalted piece is cut and dried does that stop the decay, anyone know.?? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

LeeB

Yes drying will stop it. I think it need at least 20% MC to grow.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Thank You Sponsors!