iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blade tension question

Started by Darrel, August 31, 2014, 01:46:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darrel

My blade tension gauge on my LT40 is not the original. How many PSI do I need to achive the proper tension.
Thanks
Darrel
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Delawhere Jack

I honestly can't remember. I go by the yellow and orange ranges on the gauge... :D

I think the lower range (yellow) starts at 2,300lb and the high end orange goes up to 2,600lbs. That would be for 1 1/4" bands.

Lately I've backed off on the tension some, I was starting to break more bands than I'd like. For general, not too big -- not too hard logs I'm running around 2,400 (low to mid yellow zone), and only cranking up the tension on difficult materials or if there are large knots.

CalebL

I tighten my blades as tight as I can get them. I max out my gauge.
2005 LT40 HDD34
2000 Cat 226 Skid Loader

york

I crank mine up till my arms get tired....
Albert

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Darrel

Thanks, I was sure that I wasn't cranking it up enough, I was only running 1,800 and it was a bit wavy.
1992 LT40HD

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Chuck White

My mill still has the original gauge, and I run on the line between the yellow and the orange!

I may be wrong, but I still think that running too much tension is hard on bearings and B-57 belts as well as blades!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Dave Shepard

I go by WM's recommendation. I was told that I should run that with all bands.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: york on August 31, 2014, 03:22:37 PM
I crank mine up till my arms get tired....

So I, little Jo takes the slack out of the saw so 24 1/2 turns puts me at 80 psi with the air bag system. WM had me up my tention from 60 to 80 and indicated some prefer 90 psi. I would much rather pull lumber all day then do four saw changes in a short time ;)
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Darrel

So I upped the pressure to about 2500 and it cuts much straighter and smother.  :)
1992 LT40HD

DGK

2800 - 3000 psi. The more tension the better.
Doug
Yukon, Canada

LT40G38 modified to dual pumped hydraulic plus, HR120 Resaw, EG200 Edger, Bobcat S185,Bobcat S590, Logosol PH260M3, Sthil MS660's, MS460,MS362's MS260, Trailtech dump trailer, F350, F700 Tilt-Deck log/Lumber Hauler, JD440B Skidder, Naarva S23C Processor

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

terrifictimbersllc

My gauge got forced somehow so that the zero pressure position is now at 500 psi.    Is there any way to open it up and reset the pointer?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

Yup, mine is at about 250, but it is a sealed unit with glycol used as an damper.  Maybe it could be unscrewed, but it would have to be removed first.  Bob, the WM traveling technician, said to just crank it that much further around.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

gimpy

I just got back yesterday from a 600+ mile drive to have my used 2001 LT40 looked over and be trained by Woodmizer outside of Portland Oregon. My guy (James Guerard) told me to try to keep it at 2500#. By far, the second best money I've spent was (first the mill) getting trained at Woodmizer. We went over everything. He/we opened up everything and did everything that needed to be done and got all my questions answered. ordered some new standby parts and put on a new blade and got set up with resharp.

Haven't started making sawdust yet as I have to wait for a new fuel pump to arrive. But everything else is in working order, calibrated and lubricated.
Gimpy old man
Lucky to have a great wife
John Deere 210LE tractor w/Gannon Box

blade69001

I only tighten down on the resaw when we are running oak and Hickory. It doesn't have a gauge but instead it has the bolt and pad like the  the LT 15.
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jL1MWANivQ

The rest of the time i have between 1/16th and an 1/8th of an inch of pad beyond the bolt head. It works great and I get between 1500 and 2000 bd ft of cutting between blade changes.
Sean P.

Ps I have no idea if this is the right way I just know it works for me so if someone knows a better way to get better results I would love to hear about it.
Just being me, But it is ok you do not have to like me.

backwoods sawyer

Hey Gimpy what part of south central are you located?
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

gimpy

Northern Chiloquin is where the farm is. However, we live mostly in K-falls at the moment. Selling the house and moving onto the farm to build our real log home and our future. Gotta get away from people. Smile
Gimpy old man

backwoods sawyer

I make the loop over thru there with the mill every so often.
Mill for a firewood processor south of Tulelake, and another over between Lakeview and Paisly.

The trip up north is worth  smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup ;)

thechknhwk

Anyone ever crank the blade tension up over spec on the 35,28 or 15?  If so what were the results?

gimpy

Next time you come this way, PM me and I'll buy you coffee or lunch. Whatever you have time for. It'll only cost you a little picking of your brain. Experience is always welcome.
Gimpy old man

highleadtimber16

Wood-Mizer told me that running your blade on a higher tension vs low tension actually reduces the chances of it breaking/cracking. Exact opposite of what I and most people think. Ever since they told me that, my number of broken bands has gone way down. I usually run it around 2800-3000
2011 Wood-Mizer LT 40 hyd w/ 12' Extension,
EG 200 Wood-Mizer
Cutting Old Growth Cedar from Queen Charlotte Islands.

Chuck White

Quote from: highleadtimber16 on October 02, 2014, 11:12:05 PM
Wood-Mizer told me that running your blade on a higher tension vs low tension actually reduces the chances of it breaking/cracking. Exact opposite of what I and most people think. Ever since they told me that, my number of broken bands has gone way down. I usually run it around 2800-3000

Just doesn't make sense to me.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Rachiano

I run al lt70 with the airbag tensioner....recommended by wm is 80psi tension on 1.5 inch bands. I run the .045x1.5inch bands. Pumped my airbag to 120psi and tension blades to 130psi on the gauge. Had a wm rep here and he had a gauge which is fastened on the blade to check the actual tension....the measurement was 35000 pounds....which is very low to the 250000 pounds the blade can handle before it breaks....so i say tension as much you can...works great for me sawing all those tropical hardwoods.

Rachiano

WM LT70
WM EG50
Werklust WG25 Wheel loader
DAF 2100 HIAB truck

Thank You Sponsors!