iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hand Plane Rework, a Good One!!!

Started by Andy White, August 30, 2014, 01:16:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy White

Been thinking lately about all the dust in my shop, and ways to cut down on the mess. Have now ordered the parts to upgrade my dust collector system, and thinking about using more hand tools in some of my projects. Have good hand saws, and chisels, but I need some hand planes. I mentioned to my sister Wednesday to keep a lookout for some old Stanley planes. Less than 1 hour, she called and said she had three old planes for me! They were a #4, #5, and a #6 Stanley Bailey,s and man they were "Rough", but the price was right!! Yesterday, I stripped the #5 down to start the process. I really would like to had a gallon of Blue Creeper! At the pig roast me and Nomad were talking about a homemade mix that was as good for loosening frozen parts, but I could not remember what it was. After a PM to Nomad, the job was on!! I rigged up my Electrolisys tank, and let it cook.

When they came out, I looked at the iron, thinking I would need a new one. After a buffing, I saw a few pits in the edge, so got the diamond plates and jig on it. About 1 hour of flattening the back, and honing from 220 grit to 1200 grit on the plates, I shaved the hair off the back of my hand! Finished that up with a good polishing with the green compound on a leather strop.

A few final wipes, and careful assembly, I got me a shave maker that is so smooth and steady, I planed a little Maple, White Oak, and some Walnut, and it don't need any sanding!! Smooth it is!

Now, I need to do that two more times. Not bad for a five dollar tool!   8) 8) Maybe now a 300.00 tool.   Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

mikeb1079

nice job andy! i gotta say when i saw those first pics i thought they were too far gone....but results speak for themselves.  hand planes are amazing when they're setup right.  i'm just an amateur but i use my stanley bailey no 4 and no 7 ALL the time.  i can't imagine woodworking without them.  when they're freshly sharpened and you're planing in the right direction with a touch of paraffin wax on the sole the shavings just pour out.  and like you said there's no fine dust and it's QUIET!   :) :)
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

LeeB

Wonderful tool for anger management too. A nasty board and a hand plane will take your mind off your worries and calm you right on down.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Martha White Nelson

Andy, I can't believe that's the same plane!!  It looks great, and it works!!  Hope the other two come out as well as this one did.
Martha

Bill Gaiche

Martha, I am sure he will make them good as new again. bg

dablack

I love the restoration of old tools and equipment as much or more than the actual wood working.  Great job.
Building my own house in East TX

clww

Great job, Andy, on the restoration. ;)
I have those models and about 75 other Stanley planes.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

rasman57

Quote from: dablack on September 03, 2014, 02:55:36 PM
I love the restoration of old tools and equipment as much or more than the actual wood working.  Great job.

You got that right!  Something special about saving the old hand tools in todays throw away world, then using them for your handcrafted projects. 

Andy, Well done on the save.  You and your Sis did good!

BCsaw

Great work. Nice to some life back in them again! ;D
Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!