iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bank Checks

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, August 29, 2014, 09:16:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

If a person writes you a check....how long do you have to cash it? Is there an expiration date?
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Dave Shepard

I've never been in a position to worry about such things.  :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

NWP

Quote from: Dave Shepard on August 29, 2014, 09:18:34 PM
I've never been in a position to worry about such things.  :D

smiley_thumbsup

Poston has so much money he doesn't cash checks, he just collects them.  ;D
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I just found 2 checks in my Wallet while I was cleaning it out. They are over 2 years old.

r.man

I expect different areas have varying lengths but I know in Ontario a cheque will become " stale " in six months meaning it has been held too long. If it is deposited here the bank might inquire to the original issuer of the cheque and still process it or they may return it as stale.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

r.man

Just found this on a site.

According to the United States Uniform Commerical Code, a bank is not obliged to pay a check more than six months old. Here's the full text of the guideline:

A bank is under no obligation to a customer having a checking account to pay a check, other than a certified check, which is presented more than six months after its date, but it may charge its customer's account for a payment made thereafter in good faith.

In other words: the bank isn't required to pay a check more than six months old. But it can if it wants. The bottom line? If you have a stale check outstanding, contact your bank to determine their policy. Don't just assume the funds are free to be spent.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

NWP

[/quote]
Poston has so much money he doesn't cash checks, he just collects them.  ;D
[/quote]

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on August 29, 2014, 09:39:13 PM
I just found 2 checks in my Wallet while I was cleaning it out. They are over 2 years old.

See.  I was right.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

Chuck White

My first step would be to contact the one who signed it to see if they would still honor it!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

yukon cornelius

my wallet is so empty they could never get lost  :D a check might get lonely in there all by itself.  ;D
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

WmFritz

David, I like to help a buddy out.
So, in the future, go ahead and send me those checks and I'll keep good track of them for you.   smiley_horserider
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Compensation

I had a check from capital one I found and it said 180 days on it.
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

clww

I don't think I've touched my wallet in more than six months. I think it's at the cabin..... :D
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Lazyguy

Most personal checks are only good for 6 months.

BUT, computers process most of the checks, and they don't check dates.

The issuer of the check could contest it "the check", after you cashed it, if it was more that 6 months old.
I'd call them.

Holmes

When ever I question the validity of a check I take it to the bank it is drawn from ,give it to the clerk and ask if the check is good or not.
Think like a farmer.

Mooseherder

Was it made out for 300.00?  ;D

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Mooseherder on August 31, 2014, 05:35:53 AM
Was it made out for 300.00?  ;D

No....both combined $280.00.  >:(

WmFritz

Your selling bench halves now.  ???
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Magicman

Then you owe me $20 change. $$   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on August 31, 2014, 02:51:36 PM
Then you owe me $20 change. $$   :D

Checks in the mail.  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!