iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How would you approach this split tree to process for firewood?

Started by ReggieT, August 29, 2014, 08:46:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReggieT

For starter's is this White Ash?
Would you guys snatch the split down with your pick-up 1st?
I was thinking about just starting at the small end on the ground and commence bucking towards the split.

But I could also do the left side first, then cut a notch out on the side of the right one to relieve tension and hopefully get a directional fall.
Thanks
Reg

Thanks
Reg

clww

I'd cut it as close to the split as possible-above the stump or main body of the tree. That will take a lot of the weight off, making it safer. If you start on the smaller end, it may start to stand back up, preventing you from reaching it. I would not cut it at the base for the first cuts, because all the splintered sections may bind your bar and chain up. That trunk area may prove to be difficult no matter what.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

ReggieT

Quote from: clww on August 30, 2014, 07:58:43 AM
I'd cut it as close to the split as possible-above the stump or main body of the tree. That will take a lot of the weight off, making it safer. If you start on the smaller end, it may start to stand back up, preventing you from reaching it. I would not cut it at the base for the first cuts, because all the splintered sections may bind your bar and chain up. That trunk area may prove to be difficult no matter what.
Ok...I appreciate that. I think my 1st order of busines is to elimanate as many splinters as possible...Splinters are not your friend! :-\

Ivan49

If you cut anywhere in the split with the weight on top splinters are going to fly. Ash is bad for that. Be careful what ever you do

DaleK

I'd use a loader but if you don't have one it looks like the right branch would pull or roll off the break with a truck.
Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

ReggieT

Quote from: DaleK on August 31, 2014, 06:31:09 PM
I'd use a loader but if you don't have one it looks like the right branch would pull or roll off the break with a truck.
8)

Al_Smith

I'd imagine if you got on the end of that fall with a cable,stout rope or chain a loaded pick me up truck would twist it right off .

If you had a big snatch strap and hit it a mighty lick something would happen .Either the tree would come loose or the ball hitch flying through the air .That probabley wouldn't be good .

beenthere

QuoteIf you had a big snatch strap and hit it a mighty lick something would happen .Either the tree would come loose or the ball hitch flying through the air .That probabley wouldn't be good .

Something similar happened to a 19 yr old in the Milwaukee area this past week or so. Found him dead on a tractor (or near) when a strap broke while pulling a tree. Likely got a good run at it to jerk it, but don't know that for sure.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ReggieT

Quote from: beenthere on September 01, 2014, 07:26:41 PM
QuoteIf you had a big snatch strap and hit it a mighty lick something would happen .Either the tree would come loose or the ball hitch flying through the air .That probabley wouldn't be good .

Something similar happened to a 19 yr old in the Milwaukee area this past week or so. Found him dead on a tractor (or near) when a strap broke while pulling a tree. Likely got a good run at it to jerk it, but don't know that for sure.
Dam!! :'( :o
I'll be extra careful & go extra slow!!

Corley5

I'd start at the top of it and working back toward the stump block it into firewood while standing on the side that appears to be against that other tree.  It's back is broken enough that there isn't much spring left in it.  Don't make it more complicated than it needs to be.     
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

ReggieT

Quote from: Corley5 on September 01, 2014, 09:15:55 PM
I'd start at the top of it and working back toward the stump block it into firewood while standing on the side that appears to be against that other tree.  It's back is broken enough that there isn't much spring left in it.  Don't make it more complicated than it needs to be.   
Corley...my thoughts exactly...that really to me is the simplest method...and safest.

Thank You Sponsors!