iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Something is wrong with my corn.

Started by 21incher, August 29, 2014, 02:41:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

21incher

This year I planted Silver Queen corn and it is a couple of weeks from harvest. Today I noticed one of the ears was becoming a giant so I picked it and this is what I found.

It appears that some kind of fungus is growing out of the kernels and making the corn ear look huge. It is pretty disgusting and black on the inside. The only problem with corn I have had in the past is coons. Has anyone ever seen anything like this before  and if so how do you stop it from spreading. :(
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Dave Shepard

I think that is called corn smut. It is worth money to the right person. ;) FYI, that person is not me. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Compensation

After searching what Dave posted, it sounds interesting. Mexican delicacy,  good for you, taste like mushrooms, and valuable. Cook a piece and taste it. Thanks for sharing your find.
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

21incher

Thanks Dave. I wish I had waited before tossing it in the compost pile. I have six rows of corn planted, if it all turns to smut I may have enough to send you some to try Compensation. I thought it may have been caused by living 20 miles from a nuclear reactor. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

sandhills

It's smut, pretty common in our field corn and is considered a delicacy in some countries  ::), you taste it and let me know what you think  :D.

Chuck White

Any that I've ever seen was easily removed from the ear of corn and the corn was still good!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Compensation

Yeah, I guess balut eggs are considered a delicacy too. Gives me chills thinking about it.
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

21incher

Found another one today and it looks like more are coming. From what I have read it happens quite often in silver queen corn. I did not realize it infects the entire stalk and can affect other crops also. This is how it is described: Individual kernels swell to many times their normal size, taking on a silvery-gray color. Darker on the inside, they eventually break open, shedding multitudes of tiny, sooty bodies called teliospores. These take up residence in the soil, often for years, and infect subsequent crops. Looks like I better destroy any I find and not just throw it in the compost. I don't want to run into problems in the future plus there are hundreds of acres of corn planted by farmers around my home.

Dave Shepard

I see them once in a while, but never to the point that it would be an epidemic. I don't think you need to worry about it, if it is indeed corn smut.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

thecfarm

Destroy- burn!!!!  There is so much bad stuff out there now a days.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

21incher

The good thing is only a dozen ears got the smut. some got to be as big around as a softball. Yester day I was able to harvest about 15 dozen ears

And about 12 hours later I had 20 pints and 12 quarts pressure canned for this winter. :)

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

21incher

Quote from: LeeB on September 11, 2014, 09:31:57 AM
What kind of gourd is that?
It is a boston marrow winter squash. I posted pics a while back of a big one. They taste real good roasted with a little maple syrup on them. https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,76953.0..html

Thank You Sponsors!